The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 09/25

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 06/11

$250 tubular front suspension doesn't look much better... nice work.. when that coupe is all said and done and you
don't get a show car award for the meticulous engine bay then you're entering the wrong car show.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 06/11

I'm not much of a car show guy actually. In fact, I'm not sure exactly why I go to all this trouble to make the car look neat - I guess I just prefer it that way more than anything and I enjoy the project.

I pressure washed a TON of valve covers, accessory brackets, transmission cases, and other Mustang stuff today. Tomorrow I'm going to take it to my friend's shop to use his Wheelabrator blasting machine to get them all perfectly clean. Then it will be powdercoating MAYHEM!! :)

Paul.

Nestromo

Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 04/20

Paul said:
Here's the A-arms assembled. If you ever do this - DON'T FORGET THE GREASE!!! They'll squeak like crazy if you don't grease them. :)

I've never known how "Don't be a complete jackass" sounds so much better with a happy smiley face :) attached, but it does.

Jon

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 06/28

Made some progress!!!

Today was part I of the transmission rebuild. As you guys saw earlier in the thread, I powdercoated a spare transmission case and I'm swapping all the "guts" from the old tranny into the coated one. Good news, the tranny in my car is actually a T5-Z, which has slightly different front and rear bearings on the mainshaft and countershaft, and supposedly a slightly higher torque holding capacity. Even better, EVERYTHING was in great shape!!! :dancing6: No broken teeth. No worn syncros. It was fantastic!! :)

I had my friend with me who has rebuilt several T5s, so he just told me what to do while I pulled it apart. It's actually much easier than I thought it would be.

Anyway, on with the build!

First, here's the tranny as it came out of the car:
T5%20Before%20Rebuild.jpg

First, I pulled the shifter:
T5%20Remove%20Shifter.jpg

Then after some fiddling with the shifter block thingy and the shaft, you can pull the tailshaft housing:
T5%20Pull%20Tailshaft.jpg

Then it looks like this. You can see fifth gear outside the back of the main case.
T5%20without%20Tailshaft.jpg

Here's what it looks like when you pull the top cover off. It sort of moves "sideways" and then pops off. This looks pretty intimidating, but it's actually very simple. I was very suprised.
T5%20Case%20Open.jpg

After you pull the main bearing retainer, the input shaft, and fiddle with some stuff, the entire mainshaft comes out as one big piece. Pretty amazing.
T5%20Mainshaft.jpg

Here's a (blurry) picture of the countershaft sitting in the main case:
T5%20Countershaft.jpg

Once you've pulled the 5th gear cluster off the countershaft, you can see the OEM countershaft retainer. I'm replacing this thing with a billet unit I bought online. Apparently the OEM one can deflect under heavy loads, and the billet one will reduce this and supposedly increases torque holding capacity a bit more too.
T5%20Countershaft%20Retainer.jpg

This is the new case. We were transferring all the drain plugs, sending units, and linkages to the new case here.
T5%20New%20Maincase.jpg

Here's the new countershaft retainer. I put red loctite on those bolts because it would be BAD if they backed out.
T5%20New%20Retainer.jpg

Then there's a tricky part. There's these tiny little metal tab thingys that you have to install back on the fifth gear cluter. They have to be lined up correctly with the syncro ring and stay seated when you put the rear slider into place it it won't work. We used little globs of grease to hold them in place.
T5%20Tiny%20Piece.jpg

...and onto the fifth gear cluster. The gold ring is the syncro.
T5%20Fifth%20Gear.jpg

So that's all for now. I ran out of time because I'm having a little party at the house tonight. I'll post the rest of the build and the finished product later on. :)

Paul.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 04/20

Nice work. :thumb: :thumb:
you need to fininsh my car for me.

Hey, you got enough boxes under your bench??

Paul said:
And here's the assembled k-member! :thumb:
K%20Member%20Assembled.jpg

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Dalamar said:
Nice work. :thumb: :thumb: you need to fininsh my car for me.

I don't know how to work on modulars. Those things are complicated!!!

I need thsoe boxes! Those are some of my various strange tools. I need a really big toolbox so I can put them away, but I don't have the money for a nice big one. :(

Paul.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

that's true, they are complicamacated

I'm box envious. :boink:

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Well, I did some more work today. My transmission is done!!! :banana:

So, we left off with installing those small little tabs on the 5th gear cluster. Once those were on, you install the slider, snap ring, and other stuff on the back.

This is what it looks like with 5th gear looks like when it's done.
T5%20Fifth%20Gear%20Back.jpg

T5%20Fifth%20Gear%20Side.jpg

So this is where we're at with the new main case and all the big hard parts installed:
T5%20New%20Main%20Case%20Open.jpg

Then you reassemble the shift fork linkage, put a bead of RTV on the top cover plate, install the shift forks on the sliders, then slide the top plate into place and bolt it down.
T5%20Top%20Plate%20Bolted%20Down.jpg

After that, a quick bead of RTV around the tailshaft housing. Make sure to go around all the bolt holes. (Hopefully this doesn't leak!!)
T5%20Inside%20Tailshaft%20Housing.jpg

Then carefully slide the tailshaft housing into place so as not to jar the rear bearing race loose - they need to fit together. Bolt it down using Red Loc-tite.
T5%20Tailshaft%20Installed.jpg

Here's the shifter plate thing with the steel ball on it. The shifter block goes in next. It's a bit tricky to get it in.
T5%20Shifter%20Plate.jpg

...and the shifter block installed. You drive the roll pin into place when you're done.
T5%20Shifter%20Block%20Installed.jpg

That's pretty much it! I just installed the shifter (loosely since I still have to fill the trans) and all the various electrical connections. I'm done!

T5%20Completed%20Rear%20Quarter.jpg

T5%20Completed%20Side%20Case.jpg

T5%20Completed%20Shifter%20Housing.jpg

BEFORE:

T5%20Before%20Rebuild.jpg

AFTER:

T5%20Completed%20Side.jpg

Yay! One more small part of the project is done!! :dancing6:

Paul.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 07/04

Damn that's quite the project you have going. Looks killer w/ all the powder coating.

BTW Where did you get that tensioner pulley? Ive been looking for one like that.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Thanks, it's been a long process and hopefully it actually works when I'm done.

The tensioner pulley is from Wazee. I think it's forty bucks or something. I can't remember. I might ask my friend to make me some custom ones because everybody has Wazee pulleys and I want something unique.

Paul.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score

Paul said:
Dalamar said:
Nice work. :thumb: :thumb: you need to fininsh my car for me.

I don't know how to work on modulars. Those things are complicated!!!

I need thsoe boxes! Those are some of my various strange tools. I need a really big toolbox so I can put them away, but I don't have the money for a nice big one. :(

Paul.

Looking good Paul. You are making some good progress.

If you can redo transmissions, you can rebuild modulars.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score

Paul said:
Thanks, it's been a long process and hopefully it actually works when I'm done.

The tensioner pulley is from Wazee. I think it's forty bucks or something. I can't remember. I might ask my friend to make me some custom ones because everybody has Wazee pulleys and I want something unique.

Paul.

Thanks, Im going to get a set of their pulleys, does not bother me that lots of other people have them b/c it will really set off the look Im going for under the hood. Perhaps the pulley's and powder coating will be a good late fall early winter project to do. Ive got to much wrapped into it right now $$$ wise to do another step.

atrainsgt

Reaction score

Wow, awesome job on all this stuff Paul, I'm impressed! Nice to see someone taking the time to do it right. I always end up cutting corners due to needed my car back or money.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

The blazing summer heat here in Phoenix has made it hard to get motivated to do work on the car, but I did manage to make a little progress today...

I had a set of NOS (New Old Stock) 94-95 Mustang spindles that I bought from the Bondurant School when they fire saled a bunch of their Mustang stuff after switching to Corvettes and Cadillacs. I ordered some new hubs, locknuts, and dustcaps from RockAuto so all I need to do is assemble everything. I'm going to knock out the stock wheel studs and press in some Moroso studs just because I like long wheel studs better and I think they look neato. :)

I powdercoated the spindles gunmetal gray, and the dustcaps flat black.
Spindles.jpg

Spindles%20and%20Hubs.jpg

I also managed to find a stock clutch fork cover. Most folks chuck these the first time they come off, so I was excited to actually come across one. I powdercoated it flat black too. This will help with my "sanitary" theme that I doing with this build.
Clutch%20Fork%20Cover.jpg

Also, since I'm a maniac I bought a couple broken T5s and bellhousings. I've not decided if I'm going to rebuild them and sell them or what, but I powdercoated two bellhousings and three transmission cases/tailshafts gunmetal gray today. These took a while to get all prepped, so I'm excited that they're done. They look great! :) I have more in the garage still do complete, but a couple of them belong to a friend of mine.
T5%20Tranmissions.jpg

I also got a couple of small parts done. I flat black coated the distributor hold down and the heater hard lines. I also did my distributor housing, but it didn't get reassembled today. My friend was working on it while I was coating, and he thinks the gear might be messed up. I'll look at it more over the holiday weekend. I hope I can figure something out because I don't really want to buy another distributor.

Anyway, that's all for now. Hopefully this weekend I'll finally get the upper intake done. It looks like some of the valve cover holes need to be heli-coiled as well so there's a bunch of "little stuff" left to do.

Paul.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 08/24

Looks great paul. +1 on the longer wheel studs, I just got some AFR 3.5" studs

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

looks very good Paul. You do nice work!

Would you have any interest in powdercoating some stuff for a drawn out 67 RestoMod?

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Thanks Jeff. You want me to coat some stuff for you? I'd be happy to do it, but the shipping back and forth may make it not worth it. Let me know.

95-stang

Reaction score

Its nice to see someone putting so much effort into something and getting great looking results. :thumb:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Paul said:
Thanks Jeff. You want me to coat some stuff for you? I'd be happy to do it, but the shipping back and forth may make it not worth it. Let me know.

How long does it take to do?
I could bring them down when I pick my car, and spend a few days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online