The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 09/25

Petek

Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 03/30

what exactly is involved with anodizing? i know absolutly nothing about it.

ps. cnc machining is pretty much just changing tooling, punching in some numbers, and then standing around. in my personal experiences anyway. its pretty boring after a while.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Pete k said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

ps. cnc machining is pretty much just changing tooling, punching in some numbers, and then standing around. in my personal experiences anyway. its pretty boring after a while.

Well, there's a little more to it than that, but yes. I guess.

I want a job where I can create things. It seems more meaningful to me.

Paul.

Petek

Reaction score

Paul said:
Pete k said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

So in which scenerios would you anodize aluminum rather than powder it?

Well, there's a little more to it than that, but yes. I guess.

I want a job where I can create things. It seems more meaningful to me.

Paul.

Theres more to it if you are the designer, if not than its just tool changing and punching numbers.
But yah, i really enjoy my job. custom fabrication is what i live for.

lethl-lx

Reaction score

Nice Job Paul , I do alot of PC`ing and that Gun Metal Gray is a sweet color . The pic`s really do do it justice .. anyways Super job .. :thumb:

Kornnut

Reaction score

Any updates? I love this thread.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

I've been working all days/nights/weekends, so no updates other than I got 20 pounds of new powdercoat in the mail. :)

Paul.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Well, I finally got a little more work done. I've been crazy busy at work, so the car has been on the back burner for a couple weeks.

I got my valve covers all sanded down smooth, and coated them gunmetal gray to match the aluminum accessory brackets. I'm happy with how they turned out. It only took about three hours to sand them down nice and smooth. I think they look great for stock valve covers. :)
Valve%20Covers%20Sanded%201.jpg

Valve%20Covers%20Sanded%202.jpg

Valve%20Covers%20Coated.jpg

Driver%20Valve%20Cover.jpg

Passenger%20Valve%20Cover.jpg

I also got the A/C compressor case and the alternator case coated matte black. For some reason the A/C case is a little bit shinier than the rest of the stuff, kind of a sheen black or semi-gloss, but it still looks nice and I'm happy with it. My friend is going to show me how to rebuild it and put all new seals and such in it. I also need to get a 15/16" socket cut down on a lathe so it will fit in my tiny overdrive alternator pulley so I can tighten down the nut. I think I might powdercoat the nut matte black too. We'll see. Anyway, here's what we're up to so far...
AC%20Compressor%20Powdered.jpg

AC%20Compressor%20Top.jpg

Front%20Accessories.jpg

More to come when I have more time.

Paul.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 04/20

Looking VERY good Paul.

Kornnut

Reaction score

Looks great :thumb:

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

I'm going to find some good looking black or grey plug wires, order them, and cut them to fit so they look perfect. Maybe I'll write up a tech article for those of you who want to learn how to cut and fit plug wires.

Paul.

mich_666

Reaction score

where are you ordering your fasteners from? Im going to be starting a similar build pretty soon....
Nice build! :thumb:

fastgtfairlane

Reaction score

hey paul, how much would you say you have invested money wise in your engine? this would be a great comparison to the 4.6 build thread. how much power are you expecting out of this engine?

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Most of the parts in this engine came with the car, so much of the actual costs so far have been new rings/bearings/gaskets/powdercoat/fasteners/rebuild stuff/etc. I've also bought a bunch of used parts which I've refurbished. Most importantly, this has drifted away from its original intent and is NOT a budget build anymore. Most people don't spend $600+ on bolts.

I'm expecting about 270 rwhp N/A.

My fasteners come from www.totallystainles.com

Paul.

Suspect

Reaction score

where ya get the water neck from? also what distributor is that?

looking good! going alot faster than mine. :(

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Water neck is CSR.

Distributor is stock.

thorco3

Reaction score

can't believe I never checked this thread out. Everything looks awesome Paul :happydrunks: I can somewhat relate to all the sanding on difficult parts like that intake. I don't have anywhere close to 100 hours in mine, but easily in the double digits.

OP
OP
P

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Wow! It's been a long time since I actually worked on the notch. Things at work have been hell, but that's all over now so I should have some more time to get the car done... just in time for 100+ degree temperatures! :nonono:

Anyway, I posted in another thread that I picked up a used tubular K-member and A-arms from a buddy of mine. He was parting a car out and I got 'em for only $250! :dancing6:

http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=26406.0

Well, as with anything used, sometimes you need to improvise a bit. The bushings were TRASHED and needed to be replaced. However, I have no idea who manufactured these a-arms, or how I would get a set of bushings without going through too much trouble. Thankfully, a good friend of mine is an engineer and CNC machinist. He's got a pair of CNC mills in his garage.

So I went to his place and asked him to make me some bushings. He grabbed some delrin (basically hard plastic) off the shelf that he had laying around, and started measuring things. Before you know it, he was cutting the a-arm bushings. Here's a picture and some video. Sorry for the quality - I took this video with my phone.

The bushings before the backs were machined off - they're square! :banana:
A%20Arm%20Bushings%20Machined.jpg

...and the video of the CNC mill in action:

http://members.cox.net/carpinteri3/A Arms Bushings Machining Movie 2.3g2

He even made me a set of delrin steering rack bushings while he was at it. Everything is flawless and fits perfectly. :)

Tonight, I decided to assemble the a-arms and k-member.

First, I cleaned up a spare set of nuts/bolts that I got from a buddy of mine. They looked pretty bad.
A%20Arm%20Bolts%20Before.jpg

...much better.
A%20Arm%20Bolts%20After.jpg

Here's the sleeves and finished delrin bushings.
A%20Arms%20Bushings%20and%20Sleeves.jpg

Here's the A-arms assembled. If you ever do this - DON'T FORGET THE GREASE!!! They'll squeak like crazy if you don't grease them. :)
A%20Arms%20Assembled.jpg

After some "convicing" (read: sledge hammer, pry bars, impact wrench) the A-arms agreed to seat themselves in their new home. It was no picnic getting them to fit, but they work like a champ now. :) I seriously doubt they are from the same manufacturer.

Here's my "negotiating tools":
Tools%20of%20Destruction.jpg

And here's the assembled k-member! :thumb:
K%20Member%20Assembled.jpg

So up next, I've got some powdercoating to do... I have a set of brand new SN95 spindles to coat. I plan to assemble an entire new front suspension off the car, and just swap pretty much the whole thing for the stocker. I'll have all new urethane and delrin bushings, bumpteer-adjustable outer tie rod ends, SN95 brakes, coil-overs, flaming river steering shaft - the works! It should make the car handle MUCH better. It was positively scary before. Seriously.

I also need to finish up some stuff on the motor. I'll post pics of my progress as it moves along.

More to come...

Paul.

thorco3

Reaction score
Re: The SBF 306 Engine Build - Updated 06/11

tubular k and arms look pretty slick, sounds like a pretty awesome setup too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online