Tire and suspension help needed.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dngnmn, Apr 22, 2015.

1. dngnmn

dngnmn New Member

Car is a 1999, convertible, v6, auto, 156K miles. I am fixing the car up for my wife to drive. It still has the original struts and shocks. not making any noises, but rides bad. I would like to replace the struts, shocks, wheels and tires. I need recommendations. Especially interested in larger tire and wheel combos which will fit. TIA

2. Darhawk

Darhawk Well-Known Member

Blistein shocks and H&R super sport springs! Best combo ever IMHO!:eek: Check out American Muscle . com lots of parts there and Latemodelresto is a great place for parts.

3. Mustanger

Mustanger Well-Known Member

I agree with Darhawk....Koni Yellow Sport Adjustable shocks & struts are great too! On sale 25% off too

4. Michael Plummer

Michael Plummer Active Member

Honestly, your only problem is wear and age on your suspension components. I would replace with new OEM struts, shocks and bushings and be done with it. As far as wheels and tires, wheels are a personal choice but I do like the Hankook tire lineup for an inexpensive tire options. If price is of no concern then Michelin Pilot Sport lineup is another personal favorite.

5. dngnmn

dngnmn New Member

Thanks for all the responses. I retired from Michelin Tire in 2008 after 30 years with the company. Tire prices aren't a problem. I would like to know what size will fit on the car without issues. What wheel size and required backspacing to make it fit.

6. Ferocious

Ferocious Legend SN95 Supporter

+20 to +28 offset is a good rule of thumb for a proper wheel setup. Usually no larger than a 275 up front and a 315 out back.