Today's cars

apsmith49921

Reaction score
What's yours guys thoughts on cars today? I really dont think car culture is the way it used to be. How many kids do you see on youtube that drive 700 plus hp cars. You can walk into any ford Chevy dodge dealership and walk out a few hours later with 500 hp.

Dont get me wrong I like the coyote and think ford did a hell of a job with it. Just something about someone that drives a 20 year old car they poured actual wrench time into earns more respect for me.

What do you guys think

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PinkieT

Reaction score
Yep. I learned about basic repairs on a beater Falcon and went on from there. When I go to cruises, I respect the owner-modded cars vs. the done cars the current owner's only involvement in the build was writing the check.

TrickVert

Reaction score
It's the classic "buy vs. build" debate. Unfortunately, in today's world of instant gratification need, a lot more people want it *now* and done by someone else.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can see the good points of having a turn key 600 hp car as well as appreciate the idea of building one. After having built my hot rod now I can say the idea of a turnkey 600hp with a warranty sounds perty nice. I think anyone giving a 16-18 yr old anything more than the 215 hp that my 94 gt came with is nuts.

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I mean I do get the idea of a turn key get in it and it starts every time with all the power. Obviously my car is 23 years old and I'm not used to driving it. All those old creeks and rattles have me on my toes lol. I go from driving my wife's 2015 jeep grand Cherokee to stepping in my 08 f150 or this car and it's like they are ready to fall apart it sounds like.

I'm pretty well over attempting to make 1000 hp in a car. I bought this thing to make a nice 300-400 hp car I can cruise in without the fear of it dying on the road.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I built my '95 to have 400 RWHP, handle well, and keep a basically stock look (lowered, and Steeda wheels.) Will it keep up with a new GT350? Does it have heated seats and an eight-inch touch screen? No. But I'll never pull up next to myself at a light or park next to my twin at a car show. I like the unique factor, and those who are actually "car guys" appreciate the laundry list if mods and work that it took to get the car to where it is. I like that my 25-year-old paint still gets a "wow!" too.

As ttocs stated though, there is certainly something to be said for being able to drive a 600 HP with all of today's accoutrements right off the lot. You sure do pay for that privilege and convenience, though. $$$$

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Agreed. I'll probably end up with a full exhaust and a centri and call it a day at 425.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like surprising the drivers of "faster" cars. I just wanted to stay in a safe range of power because $napping $tuff gets expen$ive. :) (And so does building to handle power beyond where I am now.)

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
My mustang doesn’t need 700hp. It’s much faster than stock, but its even been detuned to be more streetable. I get comments from strangers all the time asking me how fast it is. Of course, I daily drive a Model S and know that there are a zillion boring grocery getter vehicles on the road that are faster, so I never know exactly how to answer. In my mind the car is not fast, but it feels fast. If I want to be fast, I’ll take the Tesla, but then I’m in another boring store bought appliance that everyone else is, and that’s the real problem. Cars have become smart appliances that you can’t even work on. I don’t want to sound like that old person hating on fuel injection praising how marvelous carburetion is because I don’t understand technology. I mean that you can’t go to the parts store or dealer and buy parts to fix it yourself. You have to have special computer tools just to replace a headlight. Crap like that. All these modern “appliances” were built to become obsolete and unrepairable on purpose. Can’t hate on someone for buying a 500hp car when there’s not really a good way to add that to an existing underpowered car later on.

And you really need to understand that there just aren’t that many vehicles to get excited about any more. Many of the youngsters grew up in their parents boring truck/SUV/minivan. They did not have hot rod movies we grew up with. The street scenes nonexistent because of cruising laws, like actual laws forbidding your from just cruising, contributing to traffic. All the legal tracks shutting down. And of course 2020 killing any type of car gathering. Fixing up a car, you can do during COVID, but unless they decide to start watching one of the many fixer upper car shows, they may never get inspired. Plus, the economy. Much fewer have the disposable income to even want to consider a car. They’re getting their licenses later in life, and ride sharing more because it’s cheaper than actual car ownership. Like I said, it’s much harder to get interested in cars. Can’t even reboot Fast N the Furious. What cars will they use that would be more impressively faster than some lame Model X? At least back then they were cars young people could actually obtain.

But having the model that comes with the extra HP or is some laughable sort of limited edition variant... ...it becomes more of a status thing. Even my mom does crap like that. She will never use that extra HP, especially since she drives 10 under everywhere. She just wants it because it symbolizes her success in life. A car person might try to show it off, but to everyone else, it’s something you just bought because it was on the lot. In fact, I think one of my mothers old cars was an actual sport model because that literally was all they had in that color. Know what she did after that? Got an SUV.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Our cars are lighter than the newer cars. Our cars are easier to work on than newer cars. Our cars are cheaper to build and work on than newer cars.

A 302 with forged internals, good set of heads, nice cam profile, and a good intake can make 400+ horse all day with a bit of compression and a good tune. 400+ in our smaller and lighter cars will be faster than the newer heavier cars.

Then there’s my kind of crazy. Boosting a 418w to kill myself while smoking everything from catfish to cudas. All while not being controlled by crazy computers and safety systems. [emoji6]
33ec2b65948c22d0bf8db82d278e32c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Surrender your desire to be king of the streets and find the enjoyment of automobiles.

^^^ What the hell does that have to do with the topic?

You not like my comment?

I think he just didn’t understand it. Hopefully he understood what I meant when I said that my mustang didn’t need 700hp. You don’t need to have the fastest car to participate in car culture. You don’t need 500-700hp to enjoy your car. My mustang is slower than most modern vehicles even though it’s heavily modified. I get more pleasure out of it than our Tesla, which is hella fast. The Tesla is a better car, but feels like a soulless appliance. There is no sense of achievement. Maybe that’s what was meant with HP being store bought, not acquired through mods. But you’re saying we don’t need to be the fastest, and you’re right. We don’t. But perhaps buying a super fast soulless appliance is why car culture today sucks. Once the newness factor wears out, there’s not much excitement left in these newer models. And it’s difficult to mod even if you did still have that spark of enjoyment.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Just something about someone that drives a 20 year old car they poured actual wrench time into earns

What about someone who does an engine swap, works on it for years in his [and others] spare time only to sell the engine/trans and start over? What if he then did that again? I'm that guy but I can honestly say the shift knob, some of the rear brake lines and the body are the only factory parts left on my '95 GT.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Who said anyone needs 500-700hp on the street?!? It’s not about needs, it’s about doing it cause we want to and we can. That’s why I do it at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
What about someone who does an engine swap, works on it for years in his [and others] spare time only to sell the engine/trans and start over? What if he then did that again? I'm that guy but I can honestly say the shift knob, some of the rear brake lines and the body are the only factory parts left on my '95 GT.
I mean I dont have a problem with engine swaps lol I would tell you to make your mind up. Have you driven the car at all on any of these set ups haha

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I mean I dont have a problem with engine swaps lol I would tell you to make your mind up. Have you driven the car at all on any of these set ups haha

You sound like everyone else in the world :D I drove the 410w around some but never drove the 4.6 4V once. The Coyote will have the snot beat out of it. :mad:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online