Venom 's Build Thread

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
After much pain and suffering it has started. I had a brother with tons of hours tuning his own car help me out. I need to figure out why fan runs when Key on. Its seem like the CCRM is in fail safe mode since it does not detect the PCM which keeps the low speed relay on. I am going to start a How to on the MS since I have been able to get it started. Vid below.

https://youtu.be/1YPMDUb5kdA

New thread for Megasquirt http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?69480-Megasquirt-SN95-with-MS3-MS3X&p=1349464#post1349464

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
I really admire what you've done with your setup, tons of attention to detail, and the degree of difficult with some of your modifications is outstanding especially with what you're going to do with the MegaSquirt EMS which I'm not a huge fan of. I'm a huge fan of this car and wish you the very best.

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
I really admire what you've done with your setup, tons of attention to detail, and the degree of difficult with some of your modifications is outstanding especially with what you're going to do with the MegaSquirt EMS which I'm not a huge fan of. I'm a huge fan of this car and wish you the very best.
My friend shares your opinion ref MS, he is using a Haltech and said that some things are just to versatile which makes things more complicated. One thing he does like is the auto tune feature that you get with TS.

Tabres

Reaction score
Im upset that I drop the gauge and left a big dent in it but it is a tool more that anything at this point:mad:.

IMG_9526_zpsgwyvzx2u.jpg

You can send it in to AutoMeter and they can put a new ring on it. I know someone that has had that done. It's real cheap, too. I think it cost him less than $10.

BOOOSTD

Reaction score
Just read through your entire build and your attention to detail, skills and abilites are amazing! Good luck with the rest of your build which I will be following!!

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score

My buddy that uses Haltech noticed some things he did not like on MS. He did like the autotune function in TS which will save a bunch of time.

You can send it in to AutoMeter and they can put a new ring on it. I know someone that has had that done. It's real cheap, too. I think it cost him less than $10.
I have sent them several gauges over the years and worth repairing, but it's amazing how the segments on their gauges go out. On my cobalt wide band the 8 reads as 0 since the center segment is out. I may just get an Innovate WB. The good thing is that auto meter gives full life warranty for segments that go out but it seems like a yearly task.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds awesome Venom, that's gotta make you smile!

I cried a little on the inside when I turbo'd mine and lost that sexy lope.....

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
Sounds awesome Venom, that's gotta make you smile!

I cried a little on the inside when I turbo'd mine and lost that sexy lope.....
For sure, I was concerned that it was not enough cam but I am very happy. Once you go with cams you never go back ;)

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
I have noticed that some of the chrome powder coating has spider cracks on it. Looks like the chrome and clear did not bond. Going to have to remove all the parts that have that finish. Lucky for me parts are not deep inside the engine. I might go with a metallic silver finish if the PC can not figure this out. Last thing I want is to remove parts over and over again. He is another exhaust vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stwISr5vrzo

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
IMG_9213_zpsbgvt7mre.jpg

Photo is out of focus but you can see the buss bar, relay box and MS.

IMG_9219_zpsfcntv9na.jpg

Here is a front view. As you can see I have access to SD card and USB cable plus the MS can be removed easily. I will probably cut up the glove box to use the left side for MS cables and small items.

IMG_9215_zpskak9cvs8.jpg

Do you have any pictures of the bracket you made to mount the MS? I hate to say it, but I am probably going to mimic your location for mine. Imitation is the best form of flattery right? lol

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
No worries, we are all here to learn from each other. I made an aluminum plate and attached it to the bottom of the MS. I bent the side where the usb port is at an angle. Drilled 3 holes but only needed 2 which I used some self tapping screws to secure it to frame. Notice how I cut a notch since the frame has different angles to it. You need to make sure to have harness attached to MS as it adds to the amount of clearance needed in the rear. I have already removed MS 3 times with no issues. I have to leave glove box open while using cable is plugged in but eventually I'm going to use blue tooth.

7534C572-6196-4DE1-9F0B-273537D89FFB_zpskdzchmkb.jpg

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you! Do you have the rear of the plate supported at all, or is the front mount enough to hold it?

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
I edited this pic of old mount that was suppose to go on the kick panel but didn't work out so you can see what it looks like.

2b50aab9896c4127e385f6dc183b6cea_zpsrcrhzn67.jpg

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
[MENTION=9290]venom[/MENTION] how did you drive your tachometer from the ms3x? Im wondering if the tacho output will properly operate our gauge.

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
venom how did you drive your tachometer from the ms3x? Im wondering if the tacho output will properly operate our gauge.
Yes it will. You use tacho light green/orange 26 and wire to 48 on PCM, orange/white at PCM tan/yellow at gauge, this is if you have same stock schematic as 98 GT. make sure to wire jumpers on MS and set tach settings in TS to normal. I have all this on a schematic which I will post up on my other thread to see what else can help you.

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
What a pain that Saleen bumper. I have no idea how the previous owner had this thing on his car. I am sure he sold it for the simple reason that it did not fit right. I had to heat up the bumper and reshape it as well as bend the metal plates. Weird thing is that the bumper states its a Saleen piece?? The rear bumper I am sure is gong to be real fun as well. Next up is the Hood pins which are going to be the mini quick latch system since I am running the stock latch. One thing I had to do is reshape the fender well guards/shields using a heat gun. This is a good way to gain clearance if you tire is rubbing.

Real Saleen ?

IMG_9534_zpsjabtdsyk.jpg

Heated up bumper and clamped it up

IMG_9539_zpst9lyx6d9.jpg

Before

IMG_9535_zpsb4os1xz9.jpg

After

IMG_9541_zpsyzwa6paa.jpg

BEFORE
IMG_9532_zpss6qi7kxt.jpg

After

IMG_9543_zpsw00voyh5.jpg
z

IMG_9549_zpswkrksfje.jpg

Quick Latch up next for added safety

IMG_9564_zps77ojz6ik.jpg

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nice man!
I had to rework all my saleen and other body parts. It really makes you appreciate the fit of OEM parts.

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
Put on the quick latch minis for added safety. I have the stock latch still attached and I would recommend the regular sized ones if you want to run without a latch. It stands out now but once hood is black it will blend in better.

IMG_9567_zps3jsvkyja.jpg

IMG_9571_zpsvcdo7iwf.jpg

6f38e0c4-bb6c-4fdd-9604-6b4f5b86dcd2_zpsgy3ecweu.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markstang73

Members online

No members online now.