What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

joe65

Reaction score
looks a little daunting to me. never messed with the internals on a trans.

Boostr1

Reaction score
looks a little daunting to me. never messed with the internals on a trans.

That's what I thought as well, but I went over a few Transmission Bench youtube vids, and bought the 4R70W transmission repair manual so It's not as bad as I think it will be. Ill be playing those Vids while putting it together they're very detailed as well as the manual.

It's all good until you realise you've missed one...

TMW

EDIT - Congrats on the 1,000th post!

As long as I have no parts left over, I should be good...

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Installed DriveWorks greaseable lower ball joints and outer tie rods. Hopefully that'll eliminate the front end clunk. The ball joints had significant play in them...

Well, still have the front end clunk. The front sway bar bushings look ok. Maybe shock mounts? Or bad shocks themselves? Not sure at this point, and I don't want to go throwing money at it if I can help it. I'll check to see if the sway bar bushing bolts are loose (the bushings themselves look ok), but it sounds more prominent on the passenger front. Not as pronounced on the drivers side...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
That's what I thought as well, but I went over a few Transmission Bench youtube vids, and bought the 4R70W transmission repair manual so It's not as bad as I think it will be. Ill be playing those Vids while putting it together they're very detailed as well as the manual.

As long as I have no parts left over, I should be good...
you are braver than I am to get youtube tranny certified. :)

muzzy25

Reaction score
Well, still have the front end clunk. The front sway bar bushings look ok. Maybe shock mounts? Or bad shocks themselves? Not sure at this point, and I don't want to go throwing money at it if I can help it. I'll check to see if the sway bar bushing bolts are loose (the bushings themselves look ok), but it sounds more prominent on the passenger front. Not as pronounced on the drivers side...
Have same problem haven't found it yet?

Boostr1

Reaction score
All I did was expand your horizon. You’re welcome.

Surprisingly the Transmission Bench YouTube how tos are very detailed. I don't think Ima need the Transmission manual if I follow them closely. I've been going over them lately just to get more familiar.

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
Welp, successful track day until my fuel pump gave out. Had to get AAA to tow me 120 miles back home. Went by Advance Auto and picked up a new fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel line removal tool, and 3 hours later, pump replaced and car back running again! I've never dropped the tank on one of these cars, but all in all, not a bad job! My dad helped, and I used my motorcycle lift to lower the tank while the car was on jack stands in the garage. 3 hours total, start to finish. And I didn't even get the whole new drop-in assembly. I went with just the pump, so I was taking all kind of little screws out and what not. No biggie, in case anyone needs to do this in the near future. It also made me feel good that it was indeed the pump that failed. The pump is the original pump, manufactured back in 2002! Surprised it lasted this long, considering my car has 143k, but I guess pushing it hard at the track, it finally gave up the ghost!

Attachments

• IMG_7925.JPG
    IMG_7925.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 7

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
did you replace the fuel filler gasket also? The one around the pipe on the side of the tank? They tend to tear moving it around much and cause a leak.

vtchopperdude

Reaction score
did you replace the fuel filler gasket also? The one around the pipe on the side of the tank? They tend to tear moving it around much and cause a leak.

I did not... I didn't even think about that when doing the job to be honest, but the gasket looked to be ok. I think that's the first time the tank has been dropped, so everything was intact.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I did not... I didn't even think about that when doing the job to be honest, but the gasket looked to be ok. I think that's the first time the tank has been dropped, so everything was intact.
If it is torn it will not leak until the level is high enough or if you take a turn hard enough and it sloshes. You will know if there is a leak just follow your nose. Hopefully your safe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001