What is really available and recomended for the 94-95s now?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Kenne belles suck on pushrods even with meth like I stated my car walks all over my buddies kb meth'd out sn95 and I don't even have a vortech on yet it's being installed now

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
I will give my input on this topic as I've spent a lot of time debating which route to go as well. Since you're saying you want to stick with superchargers I will say that I would personally avoid the KB for the pushrod.

The KB PD superchargers for our cars are ugly, don't make as much power at same PSI levels of centri blowers, they have heat soak issues so you have to run meth to compensate, etc so I wouldn't waste my time with one. If we were talking about a 4.6 then a KB would be a definite top choice. So for the pushrod cars it isn't even a choice anymore for me.

Prochargers are nice superchargers, they come with a lot out of the box, but for me the price isn't worth it to me plus I am not a fan of how they look on the 94/95 cars except for Dan's car. They aren't bad superchargers but price for price I'd go another route.

Which obviously leaves one remaining, the Vortech. The V3 kit is IMO the perfect solution if you're staying SC. Pricing is fair, easy to install, reliable, etc. I went back and forth so many times and I've continued to end up with the V3 as my choice.

I will say turbo > supercharger if at all possible and that Adder was spot on with his replies, no offense to anyone. I know he gets mad at me when I say I'm going SC over turbo but with the way my car is setup I'd have to make a lot of changes to multiple areas to run a turbo effectively so a V3 is a better route for me for the money.

This is just my opinion though and I hope it helps but I know others will disagree.

95opal

Reaction score
I will give my input on this topic as I've spent a lot of time debating which route to go as well. Since you're saying you want to stick with superchargers I will say that I would personally avoid the KB for the pushrod.

The KB PD superchargers for our cars are ugly, don't make as much power at same PSI levels of centri blowers, they have heat soak issues so you have to run meth to compensate, etc so I wouldn't waste my time with one. If we were talking about a 4.6 then a KB would be a definite top choice. So for the pushrod cars it isn't even a choice anymore for me.

Prochargers are nice superchargers, they come with a lot out of the box, but for me the price isn't worth it to me plus I am not a fan of how they look on the 94/95 cars except for Dan's car. They aren't bad superchargers but price for price I'd go another route.

Which obviously leaves one remaining, the Vortech. The V3 kit is IMO the perfect solution if you're staying SC. Pricing is fair, easy to install, reliable, etc. I went back and forth so many times and I've continued to end up with the V3 as my choice.

I will say turbo > supercharger if at all possible and that Adder was spot on with his replies, no offense to anyone. I know he gets mad at me when I say I'm going SC over turbo but with the way my car is setup I'd have to make a lot of changes to multiple areas to run a turbo effectively so a V3 is a better route for me for the money.

This is just my opinion though and I hope it helps but I know others will disagree.

Looks like someone's done there homework lol

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Looks like someone's done there homework lol

Haha, thanks. After hundreds of conversations, an unknown amount of time researching, etc. for me the V3 is the perfect choice. Not everyone are going to be in the same boat as I am though.

Scott, really just think about what you really want and go for it. At the end of the day even if the V3 might seem like the best option but you really want a KB then get that. Boost regardless will make you smile. Also I'm not sure what cam you have or are already running but you might want to look into other options depending on your goals, etc.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I too have been back/forth on all the options, still have a NO2 bottle that I considered putting in a while back. I also wanted to go turbo but with the reliability that the superchargers have proven too have for some time now is just too hard to ignore. I wanted to go procharger because of the intercooler but also disliked the general look of the intake as everyone does. My problem is that scottrod panels I just installed will never allow for one to fit, trust me I checked and its just too tight too the stock side let alone the ones I welded in with the fuse box window I made in the way of it.

Vortech looks like it would have the same issue on the drivers side which was what turned me off on it although now that I think about it I would have no issue cutting/clearancing any metal needed on that side since there isn't any other crap I added in the way(Does kinda suck I just got it too primer though :) ). With that in the way and the lack of the intercooler, while I know the design allows for a cooler charge, made me think of KB for some reason.

Anyone got a good pic of the amount of space on the passenger side engine bay or one with the scottrod panels? I set aside the cash I would need for this project as I realized that it would be a while before I was ready for it. With all the stuff I am moving around I would rather finish the job get the motor running to be sure I have everything done correctly and then add the charger.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
I'll go out on a limb and say there is a reason that Vortech doesn't make most of their kits with an intercooler... because they really just don't need them. Now some people will argue that they do but depending on their use there's really no need for one. You get cooler IATs with a potential loss of a couple PSI but still make great power with an intercooler sure but at what cost? It's just something to consider/keep in mind.

I know plenty of people who have run V2 kits on their drag cars without an intercooler. Once they started getting into lower ETs they added meth because of how much they were spinning the supercharger but that applies to that application/useage. For my car, it will probably never see a drag strip and will only be for street use so I don't see the need to spend the money getting one. I'm not sure what you're direction is going to be with the car but there is always the possibility to add in an intercooler or meth option down the road, as others have said, and but you don't have to pay for it now if you went with the V3 kit.

The amount of fab work to get an intercooled KB pushrod setup is out of my league and pocketbook but still the KB isn't even a thought anymore.

95opal

Reaction score
I too have been back/forth on all the options, still have a NO2 bottle that I considered putting in a while back. I also wanted to go turbo but with the reliability that the superchargers have proven too have for some time now is just too hard to ignore. I wanted to go procharger because of the intercooler but also disliked the general look of the intake as everyone does. My problem is that scottrod panels I just installed will never allow for one to fit, trust me I checked and its just too tight too the stock side let alone the ones I welded in with the fuse box window I made in the way of it.

Vortech looks like it would have the same issue on the drivers side which was what turned me off on it although now that I think about it I would have no issue cutting/clearancing any metal needed on that side since there isn't any other crap I added in the way(Does kinda suck I just got it too primer though :) ). With that in the way and the lack of the intercooler, while I know the design allows for a cooler charge, made me think of KB for some reason.

Anyone got a good pic of the amount of space on the passenger side engine bay or one with the scottrod panels? I set aside the cash I would need for this project as I realized that it would be a while before I was ready for it. With all the stuff I am moving around I would rather finish the job get the motor running to be sure I have everything done correctly and then add the charger.

Scott the Vortech doesn't even come close to the fender apron ... about 2-3" of clearance

Just a thought ..you might want to mock up whatever charger you go with so you can cut the apron for the tubing before you lay the paint in the bay

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea I was just looking at how the hole through is up further and there does look to be enough room. Damn every time I think I think I have decided I undecide. Like I said I have gone through every form of power adder now weighing the pros/cons. I have some time either way so I will keep my eyes open and see what comes around. Would have no problem going used but would probably send it back to get it refreshed to be sure...

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
It would have to be a used kit. They pop up every in a while. It was a quality kit tho. There is also B&G turbo they make good kits for our cars. .. one is nit the only kit out there

ivan12

Reaction score
I love my Procharger D1SC, with a stock bottom end and trickflow top end is making 478 rwhp. I don't have to worry about how hot the car gets or under hood temps, runs at 190 on the street and around 170 on the highway. Makes 9-10 psi and puts a smile on my face every time I step on the skinny pedal. I too did a lot of research before taking the plunge, at the time of my build I was dead set on the V3 S-trim, but for the same cost I found my complete low mileage kit including MAF and injectors. If I hadn't found that deal then I would've definitely gone Vortech. The looks aren't the greatest but I had my tubing and brackets powdercoated plus my headunit polished and I think looks half decent now minus the filter.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
If you can find a really good deal on a well kept procharger kit then they are worth it and the same applies to a used Vortech. Both are great options but if you are buying new then V3 is, IMO, without a doubt a better option.

I plan on buying a new V3 Si-Trim kit from AFM since I'm buying a ton of other products from them. Although I'm staying with my stock Cobra heads and intake manifold with AFM valvetrain kit and an AFM B21 blower cam. I just want to break 400 which I think I won't have much trouble doing.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
procharger is out just because of the aprons I welded in but I am leaning towards vortech now. What is up with the AFM power pipe for the vortech it doesn't look like much for $400?

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
The power pipe helps with better airflow. I'll be running it on mine and it comes highly recommended from a handful of people I've spoken with. If you have in depth questions contact AFM they are VERY helpful. I've had an email string going back and forth with them for a little while now. They have answered all of my questions and even given advice on what they recommend.

cobrazilla

Reaction score
I had a Vortech S trim and sold that for HP turbo kit and was I very disappointed. I had to fugg up might mint cobra to install that turbo and it never ran right. It was always overheating and my A/C lines had to be moved/extended. Turbo gives off too much heat in my opinion. If you wish to daily drive your stand, I recommend a supercharger everyday. I have bought a new Vortech S trim again to reinstall and bring my cobra back from the dead.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am a little confused by the differences in the vortech lines. just varies the sound and output possibilities?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01

Members online