White's '98 GT "Spaceghost"

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
661F30C7-E423-4450-AFCC-1A3A0CA006A7_zpse3irkrfm.jpg

just saw your build thread. car looks sick!!!!!!! love it. you running dumps or are you going to run the pipes out of the back? nice job!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
just saw your build thread. car looks sick!!!!!!! love it. you running dumps or are you going to run the pipes out of the back? nice job!!!!!!!!

Thanks! I'm going to run some tail pipes out the back, it drones too much for my tastes now.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
There is a NASA High Performance Driver's Education event November 19/20 that I'm planning to attend so, I have to whip this car into shape. Why not drive my '95 GT? Simple, I can't. Now, back to this heap. Before they'll let you on the track you have to pass some tech inspection and that's what I'll be focusing on first. I know my car well and what deficiencies it has and this is the punch list:

1. Wheels & Tires:

• fresh set of Nankang 275/35r18s
  • clean the Konigs up

2. Brakes:

• FTR 14" kit
  • Porterfield R4 pads
  • stainless braided brake hoses
  • flush fluid and replace with ......?

3. Steering & Suspension:

• install Bilstein HD shocks
  • install BBK specific rate springs
  • swap rear ends and LCA's with the '95 GT
  • alignment
  • subframe connectors?

4. Safety Equipment:

• Helmet is current :thumbsup:

5. Engine:

• troubleshoot upper RPM stumble
  • battery hold down/terminal covers
  • change oil

6. Miscellaneous:

• Driver seat wiring
  • secure rear view mirror
  • assemble tool kit to bring to track
  • pads and rotors for trip to/from track

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
[MENTION=14727]96blak54[/MENTION]

My car seems to break up right around 5100-5200 rpms since the PI swap. Could this be a dirty MAS? I replaced one coil pack, but only because it was cracked during the head swap. The replacement was the BWD brand. Also replaced the plugs and it has new wires. The tune, however, may be another anomaly... It's one of the loaded 87 tune from a SCT tuner, mainly just so I could turn the rear 02's off and the EGR off. Fuel filter has about 20k on it and I haven't checked the fuel pressure yet.

Care to take a stab in the dark?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Unplug the maf then drive. This wont solve any issues but will open the door to diagnosing process. The car goes into a safe mode when the maf isnt connected by fattening up the mixture. If you do this and are amazed, youll need to either get a tune or maf sensor. ..or both....but lets hope not

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You still got the stock fuel pump and injectors in there?

Yes sir

Unplug the maf then drive. This wont solve any issues but will open the door to diagnosing process. The car goes into a safe mode when the maf isnt connected by fattening up the mixture. If you do this and are amazed, youll need to either get a tune or maf sensor. ..or both....but lets hope not

Ok, I will do this when I get closer to home this evening.

Nighttrain

Reaction score

Or a coil....

98snakehorse

Reaction score
When it breaks up in the high rpm is it only when your going a high rate of speed? I say this because I had the same problem that drove me absolutely nuts on my 98. Turns out that only in 98 mustangs had an "awesome" feature that cut spark when you reached a certain top speed. Since I have gears on my car my speedo is off quite a bit which reached the top speed limiter and had the high rpm sputter/breakup condition. Make sure your tuner has the top speed limiter turned off.... Video of my condition before I found out what the problem was.....

:17 second mark...
[video=youtube;nqjkYDkN_Vg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqjkYDkN_Vg[/video]

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
When it breaks up in the high rpm is it only when your going a high rate of speed? I say this because I had the same problem that drove me absolutely nuts on my 98. Turns out that only in 98 mustangs had an "awesome" feature that cut spark when you reached a certain top speed. Since I have gears on my car my speedo is off quite a bit which reached the top speed limiter and had the high rpm sputter/breakup condition. Make sure your tuner has the top speed limiter turned off.... Video of my condition before I found out what the problem was.....

:17 second mark...
[video=youtube;nqjkYDkN_Vg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqjkYDkN_Vg[/video]

Well, probably above 50 in first be above 80 in second when this happens (2.73's) so yes?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I know you loaded an 87 tune in there but are you actually running 87 octane on a PI swapped car? You might have detonation issues.