‘97 Cobra Restomod

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
got a new hub cover design that uses less filament and has smoother lines.
1645161094492.png

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
"Hello everyone. My name is Makoto. I have had a printer for about a month and I am completely addicted..." Pull up a chair and tell us about this problem you have acquired now.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Why didn't you design new door pulls so you don't screws?

My big question, is what made you decide on using lakes pipes?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

3d printers are great for making flat things like he is showing but with out an expensive 3d scanner to scan the stock piece and make the file this would be a VERY complex file to create with out a scanner

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score

first, the stuff ttocs said. 100%. second, the stock mounting points are very flawed. brittle in the engineering sense. the cups are now bolted (literally) to the door panels. it actually feels like quality instead of the squeeky squishy stock shifty nonsense

third, I have no clue what the hell your last question is about.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
i consulted google. apparently this guy is like 67 or something :D
1645195313960.png

the reason is pure function, there just isn't enough room to go anywhere else and do everything else i want to do do.
sending them out the back puts them right under the diff which kills seals and heats fluid.

notice how flat everything is and how far away the exhaust is from the diff in my design.

I'm looking into smoothing out the airflow under the car now. all of this is to serve that function: make the car as slippery as possible.

1645195721886.png

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yeah, I can see why you needed/wanted to the side exhaust. I was just wondering where the idea of using the lakes pipes design came from. Going for a more retro look?
I'm not sure why you would think I'm 67, ot what would even be wrong with being 67??? That's just what that exhaust design is called.:cool:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
first, the stuff ttocs said. 100%. second, the stock mounting points are very flawed. brittle in the engineering sense. the cups are now bolted (literally) to the door panels. it actually feels like quality instead of the squeeky squishy stock shifty nonsense

third, I have no clue what the hell your last question is about.
actually as long as you are not yanking the door like its a 1970 mustang weighing 60 lbs its fine. Mine lasted 20+ years till my brother broke the pass side but he is about as gentle as a baby rhino when he SLAMS his doors shut. For the past 5 years I have been trying to fix his drivers side door panel because he pulled it off of the door.

badass98svt

Reaction score
actually as long as you are not yanking the door like its a 1970 mustang weighing 60 lbs its fine. Mine lasted 20+ years till my brother broke the pass side but he is about as gentle as a baby rhino when he SLAMS his doors shut. For the past 5 years I have been trying to fix his drivers side door panel because he pulled it off of the door.

I never understood how they break so easy with some people's cars.
As far as SN95s go, I've had a 97 and 98. The 97 had 180k on it when I sold it and never showed any signs of stress on the door cups, my 98 has 140k and they still look new.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Yeah, I can see why you needed/wanted to the side exhaust. I was just wondering where the idea of using the lakes pipes design came from. Going for a more retro look?
I'm not sure why you would think I'm 67, ot what would even be wrong with being 67??? That's just what that exhaust design is called.:cool:

bro nobody calls them lake pipes :D sidepipes. its an old hotrodder term... is what i just learned.
I did the shields because one side is necessarily 20-25mm longer than the other so i needed to hide that.
also, they were kinda plain and i thought it would look cool. its just a 2.5" 90 i cut in half, split down the middle and tacked on.

i'm working on a filler panel to cover the pinch weld and tie it all together from the pipes forward.

as for the door pulls, im a bull and "fine" just wasn't good enough. it has to be right and factory wasn't right for me. on my old mustang i could shut the door too hard and the pull popped out. i wanted this to feel nice and modern when i grabbed it. it needs to feel like quality, for me.

Last edited:

badass98svt

Reaction score
bro nobody calls them lake pipes :D sidepipes. its an old hotrodder term... is what i just learned..
You have more to learn then, Grasshopper.
Side pipes are large diameter pipes, such as a C2 Corvette or a Cobra roadster would have.
Lakes pipes were designed with narrow diameters to provide more clearance for lowriders.

Not looking to argue, just pointing out the difference.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
You have more to learn then, Grasshopper.
Side pipes are large diameter pipes, such as a C2 Corvette or a Cobra roadster would have.
Lakes pipes were designed with narrow diameters to provide more clearance for lowriders.

Not looking to argue, just pointing out the difference.

you have every right to be exactly as wrong as you are :)

here's some educational material:

badass98svt

Reaction score
you have every right to be exactly as wrong as you are :)

here's some educational material:

Ok Junior!
Did you look at the pics in your link? They look an awful lot like yours.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
uh oh he's doublin' down, y'all.

just so we're clear before you put more paint around tha corner...
1. my exhaust is full 2'5" all the way out
2. that's basically the same as most sidepipe V8 systems (some are even more narrow)
3. "Lakes pipes were designed with narrow diameters to provide more clearance for lowriders." none of which apply to my system and if you'll look at those images in the thread they all run the full length of the rockers... so what are you talking about man?
4. this is now a game, one of my favorite kinds, and your best option at this point is to just admit that maybe you weren't completely right to begin with.
5. good luck convincing people svo sidepipes arent sidepipes. are 2000 cobra R's equipped with factory lake's pipes?

:D

6. this is all good fun for me so don't get your feelings hurt..

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
Haha, I'm not compromising on wrong. Lake pipes apparently a subcategory of sidepipes where they may or may not be decorative and generally do not have mufflers.
one thing is certain, though, those exhaust pipes coming out of th eside of my car are sidepipes and the old timer is wrawng :D

I'mma laugh if i'm actually older than this dude.

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
that's what it looks like to me. its a slang for sidepipes that originated over half a century ago so it doesn't exactly matter :D

OP
OP
Makoto

Makoto

Reaction score
the headlight knob kept coming off in my hand so i got this nice billet unit from lmr.
most everything you touch in the car is now metal or leather.

1645249758833.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online