1996 Mustang Gt aka Zeus

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Go for the felpro permatorque headgaskets. Get ARP headbolts, speedpro bearings crank and rod, new rod bolts from Ford. Call up a piston company, but what they recommend along with rings.....or seek out a set of lightning/03-04 cobra pistons.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Go for the felpro permatorque headgaskets. Get ARP headbolts, speedpro bearings crank and rod, new rod bolts from Ford. Call up a piston company, but what they recommend along with rings.....or seek out a set of lightning/03-04 cobra pistons.
Thanks! Going to start looking into some pistons. Should I get new chain guides etc?

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
582d3c9a67ab9a2baf7273c18cdcaf49.png
saw this on MMR seems like overkill but it’ll hold 500-600hp easy. About the price I’d like to spend on the bottom end. Any opinions on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Call him up, NO really. Dale is easy to talk to and cuts through all the BS, he knows where every Mod engine part is made and by whom. He has saved me time and money and has come up with parts that are never listed, he is how I found the big Manley intake valves for the nPI heads. Would you have looked for tow truck/RV parts? Thats where they are listed, this is why you call an expert.. a high percentage of the parts are made by some one else and just privet labeled and he has shown me that one companies gold is another companies crap but I had no idea they were the same part.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Uhm... $2k is a bit pricey for "a simple rebuild"

Besides the rods are heavier than the coyote and im certain that crank will be heavier, all together reducing power.....regardless of forced induction.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Uhm... $2k is a bit pricey for "a simple rebuild"

Besides the rods are heavier than the coyote and im certain that crank will be heavier, all together reducing power.....regardless of forced induction.
Thanks and I figured it was a bit much.$2k is about what I’ll be around with cams included

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Run over to your favorite parts house to buy bearings, gaskets, and chain guides. Be out at the most $500 for all of it. Buy from Autozone and break the purchases up. For every 5 $20+ purchases, they give u instore credit for $20. Nothing wrong with freeeeeee!

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Run over to your favorite parts house to buy bearings, gaskets, and chain guides. Be out at the most $500 for all of it. Buy from Autozone and break the purchases up. For every 5 $20+ purchases, they give u instore credit for $20. Nothing wrong with freeeeeee!
Thanks! And yeah haha I made an account there when I first bought they car. I was buying all types of stuff for it. Also do you have a link for the speed pro bearings? Having trouble finding them online

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I had to go back and re-read this thread. I do not suggest rebuilding a rod knocking engine "simply". Best to let a machinist run through the block. Something happened to create a rod knock.

I know it sux to hear this ,but Find a known running engine and rebuild it. Swap it out when youre ready. These engines just dont let go from over reving or abuse unless the oil pump failed or the oil passages are sludged up.....its one of those 2 scenario. Best to start with a solid running engine. Chances of a successful rebuild are much higher.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
I had to go back and re-read this thread. I do not suggest rebuilding a rod knocking engine "simply". Best to let a machinist run through the block. Something happened to create a rod knock.

I know it sux to hear this ,but Find a known running engine and rebuild it. Swap it out when youre ready. These engines just dont let go from over reving or abuse unless the oil pump failed or the oil passages are sludged up.....its one of those 2 scenario. Best to start with a solid running engine. Chances of a successful rebuild are much higher.
Yeah definitely. Idk cars had its moments. It did sound like a slight knock but it has gone away. Not to sure exactly. The cars been parked, haven’t driven it lately just turn it on here and there. The exhaust was touching the transmission shifter and caused it to rattle very slightly so I think that may be were the noise was coming from. The car idles fine, other than a misfire I haven’t been able to diagnose. It comes and goes as well.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ok, good. A life of poor oil changes does funny things to these engine. Also i remind you the electronics are 20+ yr. Cleaning the maf, O2 sensors, and injectors make HUGE improvements. Early stock coil packs were known for cracking allowing the spark to ground out everywhere other than a plug wire.

Just some ideas

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Ok, good. A life of poor oil changes does funny things to these engine. Also i remind you the electronics are 20+ yr. Cleaning the maf, O2 sensors, and injectors make HUGE improvements. Early stock coil packs were known for cracking allowing the spark to ground out everywhere other than a plug wire.

Just some ideas
Yeah I’ve cleaned injectors changed the plugs and coil packs, I have yet to clean the maf but I will do that

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im gonna say yes only because ive never seen any differences between any vic, lincoln, F-series, E-series, and mustangs,...4.6l or 5.4l. Take this info for the weight that it is.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Im gonna say yes only because ive never seen any differences between any vic, lincoln, F-series, E-series, and mustangs,...4.6l or 5.4l. Take this info for the weight that it is.
Okay thanks!ine went out and my Buddy has his 01 marquis that is parked and being parted out. Curious are these engine pi? I wouldn’t mind buying it if it is

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Steal!!!! My buddy said he’d sell me the whole car (2001 grand marquis) for $300 bucks and the motor and tranny are fine

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Okay so I did some research and I believe the 2001+ cars such as the grand marquis should have the pi heads cams etc. correct me if I’m wrong. But I plan on yanking the motor out of it and my stallion and slapping the pi engine in. All I’d have to do is swap valve covers oil pan and timing cover am I right? Also will the pi 2v mate with my transmission without any effort? Or would I have to swap The Tranny from the marquis in as well? And what would be the fastest easiest way to go about the swap such as pulling the motor out of the mustang?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
It should swap out with little to no problems. Nothing you couldnt figure out on your own or a simple question here.

I thought the pather platform got the pi engines in 2002....?

Easy way to check...look at the intakes runners. For npi the first runner will will go to passengers side head and the pi first runner will go the the driver side head.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
It should swap out with little to no problems. Nothing you couldnt figure out on your own or a simple question here.

I thought the pather platform got the pi engines in 2002....?

Easy way to check...look at the intakes runners. For npi the first runner will will go to passengers side head and the pi first runner will go the the driver side head.
Yeah that’s what I thought as well based off of what you told me in the past. However I did look into it and they said 2001+ platforms had the pi engine. But yeah I’m going to look at the car tomorrow so I’ll be able to clarify if it is or not. I will be pulling the motor and doing everything myself, I haven’t yanked a motor by myself yet alone an sn95 one. Any steps I should take to get it out as quick and easy as possible? Also the day flashing your stock computer is needed? How would I go about that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online