1996 Mustang Gt aka Zeus

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
so I plan on doing the pi cam swap on my npi motor. 96black has persuaded me to doit. I will be yanking the pi cams out of the marquis and doing the pi manifold swap as well. Going to go ahead and purchase some new valve cover gaskets and possibly timing chain tensioners as well. Anything else I may need to do this install? Also what would be the fastest way to take the pi cams out of the marquis

AStangThang

Reaction score
so I plan on doing the pi cam swap on my npi motor. 96black has persuaded me to doit. I will be yanking the pi cams out of the marquis and doing the pi manifold swap as well. Going to go ahead and purchase some new valve cover gaskets and possibly timing chain tensioners as well. Anything else I may need to do this install? Also what would be the fastest way to take the pi cams out of the marquis
Do you know what year your pi cams are? I have a set of 06 pi cams. They are mint condition. I sold LWarrior the intake manifold months ago.0110191734.jpg 0110191733.jpg 0110191733a.jpg 0110191734.jpg 0110191733.jpg 0110191733a.jpg 0110191747a.jpg

Last edited:

AStangThang

Reaction score
01. And will the 06 pi cams bolt right in and not need a tune?
They will bolt right in. No tune needed, plenty of guys do the swap without getting a tune. Some pi cams were different. The mustang cams were the ones to get. My cams came out of a 33k mile crown Vic, and they are the same lift as the mustang cams. 96black54 has a sticky on these specs, but the newer pi cams he hasn't had any to spec out. My pi cams have the exhaust lobe bigger w/ bigger lift, and the intake lobe w/ the smaller lift, exactly like the mustang. I also have the chain guides out of the 06 pi. Back to the tune, you can get a tune, but it's not required. It will run perfectly fine.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
They will bolt right in. No tune needed, plenty of guys do the swap without getting a tune. Some pi cams were different. The mustang cams were the ones to get. My cams came out of a 33k mile crown Vic, and they are the same lift as the mustang cams. 96black54 has a sticky on these specs, but the newer pi cams he hasn't had any to spec out. My pi cams have the exhaust lobe bigger w/ bigger lift, and the intake lobe w/ the smaller lift, exactly like the mustang. I also have the chain guides out of the 06 pi. Back to the tune, you can get a tune, but it's not required. It will run perfectly fine.
Thanks for that info. And how much for them shipped? Would make it a lot easier for me and save me the trouble of having to yank the pi cams out of the marquis.

AStangThang

Reaction score
The 96-98 npi heads loves the extra exhaust lift of the pi cam, and also the npi loves exhaust goodies due to the same reason, the exhaust side sucks on the npi. The npi head by itself isn't a bad head, its everything attached to it lol, lash adjusters, cams, intake, and also the lack of a great valve job. One more thing you need in order to do you cam and intake swap. You need the coolant tube that runs under the intake, the pi has a different coolant tube. The npi tube will hit the bottom of the pi intake and not fit, you have to get the pi tube. There $30-40 at LMR.com or American Muscle.com.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
The 96-98 npi heads loves the extra exhaust lift of the pi cam, and also the npi loves exhaust goodies due to the same reason, the exhaust side sucks on the npi. The npi head by itself isn't a bad head, its everything attached to it lol, lash adjusters, cams, intake, and also the lack of a great valve job. One more thing you need in order to do you cam and intake swap. You need the coolant tube that runs under the intake, the pi has a different coolant tube. The npi tube will hit the bottom of the pi intake and not fit, you have to get the pi tube. There $30-40 at LMR.com or American Muscle.com.
Yeah I was already aware of needing the coolant tube, thanks for the info! You’ve been a big help man. Now could you tell me step by step more or less how to do this cam swap?

AStangThang

Reaction score
Where would I find that section?
When you come into our (2v 4.6L 96-04) section, it starts at the top with the first sticky call "squish" by 96Black54, keep going down, and you should find it. If not found, all of us will help you bro, plus you can always Google it for there are plenty of them.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
When you come into our (2v 4.6L 96-04) section, it starts at the top with the first sticky call "squish" by 96Black54, keep going down, and you should find it. If not found, all of us will help you bro, plus you can always Google it for there are plenty of them.
I looked but couldn’t find a thread on it. Only one I found was one doing it without taking the timing cover off. Would have been perfect route for me but now I feel more comfortable yanking it off. More info on that method is greatly appreciated

AStangThang

Reaction score
I looked but couldn’t find a thread on it. Only one I found was one doing it without taking the timing cover off. Would have been perfect route for me but now I feel more comfortable yanking it off. More info on that method is greatly appreciated
We will start Diving into it tomorrow fo sho.

AStangThang

Reaction score
Cams, guides, gaskets, and cam bolts. Use your sprockets. Have a good extra-clean work area, a long table to lay everything out on, and take your time. We can guide you through it. No worries mate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
96Mustang4.6GT

Members online