1996 Mustang Gt aka Zeus

AStangThang

Reaction score
Check out what I just got for free. This old man was throwing it out, and I'm going to make it into an engine cradle, so I can have my engine stand free to have another one on it. I do have to either weld or bolt up on the cradle though. It's 5'x3'. Aslo this neat parts kart lol. 0204191305.jpg

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Check out what I just got for free. This old man was throwing it out, and I'm going to make it into an engine cradle, so I can have my engine stand free to have another one on it. I do have to either weld or bolt up on the cradle though. It's 5'x3'. Aslo this neat parts kart lol. View attachment 664

Franks Nursery called, they want their plant cart back...............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Cams, guides, gaskets, and cam bolts. Use your sprockets. Have a good extra-clean work area, a long table to lay everything out on, and take your time. We can guide you through it. No worries mate.
Thanks man! Looking forward to it!

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Okay cam swap aside for now. My back tires have reached their death bed and I’m looking to get some new rear tires. Nothing to beefy yet I’d like to get some 275 ish sized tires. My rims are 17s. I’m trying to keep it as budget friendly as I can I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg on tires just yet. I would love a pair of radials, but I do daily the car and would like to drive it out of town (1-2 hour drives) would a radial hold up? Any recommendations ?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
No radial on dailys! I found myself in a real situation one day while headin to the dyno. My car had radials and normally plenty of easy driving traction on wet roads. Long as i kept the pedal effort to a minimum, the tires didnt do to bad. Untill that day!

Driving 55-60mph on the interstate and my wife tragging along in the minivan, all was good as long as the road wasnt "new". The dyno was a 30min drive and i wanted to keep cost low by not hualing the car. Once on the interstate, taking it easy cause roads were wet from a light rain, the tires still had some bite. Then the new widen road to 3lanes. Once my back tires hit that new road, the rearend came around and off spinning i went.

Thinking back i figured releasing my foot off the gas, traction would come back...not the case. I should have slammed the brakes. Use the front tires to control the car, but instead the car spins across 3lanes and into the median. Luckily for me traffic was low that day.

I suggest a tire that handles everyday driving.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
No radial on dailys! I found myself in a real situation one day while headin to the dyno. My car had radials and normally plenty of easy driving traction on wet roads. Long as i kept the pedal effort to a minimum, the tires didnt do to bad. Untill that day!

Driving 55-60mph on the interstate and my wife tragging along in the minivan, all was good as long as the road wasnt "new". The dyno was a 30min drive and i wanted to keep cost low by not hualing the car. Once on the interstate, taking it easy cause roads were wet from a light rain, the tires still had some bite. Then the new widen road to 3lanes. Once my back tires hit that new road, the rearend came around and off spinning i went.

Thinking back i figured releasing my foot off the gas, traction would come back...not the case. I should have slammed the brakes. Use the front tires to control the car, but instead the car spins across 3lanes and into the median. Luckily for me traffic was low that day.

Ah wow that’s crazy, glad everything turned out okay. I appreciate your info and experience. What’s a good budget friendly tired you’d recommend?

AStangThang

Reaction score
Ah wow that’s crazy, glad everything turned out okay. I appreciate your info and experience. What’s a good budget friendly tired you’d recommend?
I have a set of Falken Ziex ZE950 on the back. They hook good, give them a look. I don't know if they still make them cause their 2 years old.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
You might also try the Mickey Thompson Street comp. I have 315's in the back and they work well.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
You might also try the Mickey Thompson Street comp. I have 315's in the back and they work well.
Thanks! Will check them out. Would I have to remove the quad shocks to fit a 315? Obviously I’ll have to roll the fenders

01yellercobra

Reaction score

But what brand were they?

I ran 555R's on my cars for years with no issues. Including as a daily driver. I still have a set on my 04. They've been to Vegas and Arizona with no issues. Those are 600+ mile trips in case anyone is wondering. And yes, I even drove them in the rain. Never had a problem. While I made sure not to drive like a jack ass I never had the rear end suddenly come around on me. It always felt fine. That was also with my 01 that made a couple hundred more horsepower than my current car.

IMO, most the drag radial rain horror stories you hear about are from guys running something like a Mickey Thompson that barely has any tread to begin with. So no, you shouldn't drive those in the rain. A buddy of mine totaled his Fox because he did that. And even said it was because the tires didn't have enough tread depth.

If you run a full tread depth tire like the 555R or Toyo TQ you should be ok. But all that being said I'm probably going to switch over to R888R's next time around as I'm trying to get more into turning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Okay so I’m going to go ahead and get some 315 mickeys street comp. I’m going to flip the quads and roll the fenders. Then I should be getting the pi cams within the next week or two so some changes coming! Also if anyone as a pi intake manifold their willing to part ways with please lmk!

AStangThang

Reaction score
Okay so I’m going to go ahead and get some 315 mickeys street comp. I’m going to flip the quads and roll the fenders. Then I should be getting the pi cams within the next week or two so some changes coming! Also if anyone as a pi intake manifold their willing to part ways with please lmk!
Have you figured out a good tire yet? If it was me, I would go for a 275, they have plenty of stick to them, that way you don't have to take the quad's off. Those 275's will do great, unless your just going for the extra extra wide look. This is just my opinion, and trying to help out.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Have you figured out a good tire yet? If it was me, I would go for a 275, they have plenty of stick to them, that way you don't have to take the quad's off. Those 275's will do great, unless your just going for the extra extra wide look. This is just my opinion, and trying to help out.
Yeah I really want the mickeys but I wouldn’t mind a set of 275s. But I do want that beefy look in the back so that’s partly why I’m leaning towards the 315s. If I flip the quads and roll the fenders they should fit

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ditch the quads and get better lower control arms. You’ll notice a huge difference.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
So I think 275s is what I’m going to run right now. I’m stuck between Mickey thompson street comp tires 275/40/17 or some Nitto NT555 G2s 275/40/17 anybody have any expoerence with either or?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Does taking the quads off make a big difference?

It makes a lot more room for bigger tires. Many have noticed over the years that with stronger lower control arms and no quads that the wheel hop was reduced. The quads serve no purpose if you beefed up the other parts of the rear end.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stillridin

Members online