1996 Mustang Gt aka Zeus

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
What these guy's said about lower control arms. The 555s G2 will probably be my next tires. I had the G1 and liked them pretty well.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
What these guy's said about lower control arms. The 555s G2 will probably be my next tires. I had the G1 and liked them pretty well.
Nice, I’ve read a lot of good reviews on them so far I’m sold.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
The time to do the cam swap is nearing. I’m going to be doing it at my buddies house in his garage. He’s going to help me with it. He hasn’t worked on a modular. He’s an import guy so it’s new to me and him. We have everything needed tools wise etc. so we pull the timing cover, valve covers, then what are the steps we take after? Can someone break it down for me please

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Dampener, valve covers, front cover, maybe powersteering, maybe a/c....ive done forgot!

Anyhow, you guys will figure it out. Its nothing thats overly complicated

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Dampener, valve covers, front cover, maybe powersteering, maybe a/c....ive done forgot!

Anyhow, you guys will figure it out. Its nothing thats overly complicated
The following I’m aware of but thanks! I’m talking about more I. Debt, when it comes to chains, guides, the timing etc. how do I go about that? Without messing things up. Putting the car back together and having everything done right is what’s concerning me

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Granted this was on a 4V, but I usually pull the followers before removing the cams. No chance of the cams spinning. I put them back after everything is timed. Once the followers are pulled I undo the tensioners and pull the chains. Then remove the cam caps. Keep those in order as they go in specific spots.

If you're reusing the old tensioners you'll need to pin them back. I used my vice and a rag. If they're the metal kind you need to push the ratchet back. There should be a small hole you can fit a pick through. Go slow as there is still oil in there that will be pushed out. I used a small nail to hold it back. You'll see the hole in the front of the body.

Putting it back together is the exact opposite. Put the cams in and bolt down the caps. Then slide the chains on and put on the tensioners. For the chains its simply the matter of aligning the timing marks. I can't tell you the exact placement, but it should come up in a Google search pretty easily. Then I put the followers back in place.

Beyond that don't forget the RTV in the spots on under the timing cover and valve covers. That's the high points I think. I've probably forgotten one or two steps in there.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Granted this was on a 4V, but I usually pull the followers before removing the cams. No chance of the cams spinning. I put them back after everything is timed. Once the followers are pulled I undo the tensioners and pull the chains. Then remove the cam caps. Keep those in order as they go in specific spots.

If you're reusing the old tensioners you'll need to pin them back. I used my vice and a rag. If they're the metal kind you need to push the ratchet back. There should be a small hole you can fit a pick through. Go slow as there is still oil in there that will be pushed out. I used a small nail to hold it back. You'll see the hole in the front of the body.

Putting it back together is the exact opposite. Put the cams in and bolt down the caps. Then slide the chains on and put on the tensioners. For the chains its simply the matter of aligning the timing marks. I can't tell you the exact placement, but it should come up in a Google search pretty easily. Then I put the followers back in place.

Beyond that don't forget the RTV in the spots on under the timing cover and valve covers. That's the high points I think. I've probably forgotten one or two steps in there.
How would I pull the followers off? So followers first, then tensioners, guides and chains, cam caps them cams? How would I do the timing and guarantee it’s right? Also how would I put the followers back on properly ?

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Here is my PI cam swap thread. I hit a lot of road bumps along the way but these guys walked me through getting it back together step by step. Sorry for sending you a link rather than listing out the info but there is a lot of snags these guys got me through that are documented below.

https://www.sn95forums.com/threads/pi-cam-install-in-progress-need-some-guidance.68303/

I ended up taking everything off and doing the timing from scratch (which wasn't too difficult). You should make sure you start with the motor at TDC and go from there.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
How would I pull the followers off? So followers first, then tensioners, guides and chains, cam caps them cams? How would I do the timing and guarantee it’s right? Also how would I put the followers back on properly ?

I used a large screwdriver. Rotate the cam so the follower is on the base circle. Then pop it sideways off the lash adjuster. You'll get the technique quickly. I showed my wife how to do it with no problem. If you want to make it easier to go back together you can bleed down the lash adjusters in a vice. When I put it back together I lined the follower up between the adjuster and spring right under the cam lobe and carefully pried it back into place. It'll pop into its spot.

Yes, those are the steps I follow.

Every timing set up has marks to make sure its aligned correctly. Look online for pictures of how the marks need to sit. Then it's a matter of connecting the dots with the chains.

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
I used a large screwdriver. Rotate the cam so the follower is on the base circle. Then pop it sideways off the lash adjuster. You'll get the technique quickly. I showed my wife how to do it with no problem. If you want to make it easier to go back together you can bleed down the lash adjusters in a vice. When I put it back together I lined the follower up between the adjuster and spring right under the cam lobe and carefully pried it back into place. It'll pop into its spot.

Yes, those are the steps I follow.

Every timing set up has marks to make sure its aligned correctly. Look online for pictures of how the marks need to sit. Then it's a matter of connecting the dots with the chains.
Thanks! How would I pull the lash adjusters out?

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Here is my PI cam swap thread. I hit a lot of road bumps along the way but these guys walked me through getting it back together step by step. Sorry for sending you a link rather than listing out the info but there is a lot of snags these guys got me through that are documented below.

https://www.sn95forums.com/threads/pi-cam-install-in-progress-need-some-guidance.68303/

I ended up taking everything off and doing the timing from scratch (which wasn't too difficult). You should make sure you start with the motor at TDC and go from there.
Huge help! Just read the whole thread

AStangThang

Reaction score
Remember a long table free of dirt, so everything can be laid out in accordance to the way you disassembled it. Do you have a good torque wrench in lbs. and inch. lbs?

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
Remember a long table free of dirt, so everything can be laid out in accordance to the way you disassembled it. Do you have a good torque wrench in lbs. and inch. lbs?
My buddy does, I do need to purchase my own tho

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
My buddy does, I do need to purchase my own tho

I was pretty low on funds when I did my first cam/intake swap and bought some cheapo torque wrenches from Harbor freight. I'm honestly impressed with them, I still use both 5 years later and they're still close to spec according to the snap-on calibration tool. Not a bad purchase if you only need them once or twice a year (from my personal experience)

OP
OP
d.garza18

d.garza18

Reaction score
I was pretty low on funds when I did my first cam/intake swap and bought some cheapo torque wrenches from Harbor freight. I'm honestly impressed with them, I still use both 5 years later and they're still close to spec according to the snap-on calibration tool. Not a bad purchase if you only need them once or twice a year (from my personal experience)
Nice thanks I’ll check some out! Also do you know the torque specs for everything?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online