2v 5.4l swap thread

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
When I first started my build, I picked up a Holley 5.4l s/c intake. Holley made about 75 s/c kits for the 5.4l trucks. The kit added about 100hp and wasnt the best kit available, but perfect for a stock non-forged piston engine. I centered my build around the kit even though I only had the intake and water air cooler that resides down into the intake. Cobra pistons, npi heads, stock pi cams, shorty headers.
I still didnt have the blower!! I looked everywhere only to source 3 kits country wide, so I called Holley's head quarters in Bowling Green here in Ky. I talked to a guy refered to as Supercharger Mike. He ran me down the history of the kit, finally saying "we have no available parts" because the minimal amount of kits made, Holley had all the machining farmed out, keeping on the shelf items to a minimum. Supercharger Mike then says "Although I have everything you need sitting on a shelf at home, except the intake"...which I already had. We exchanged #'s, I meet with him, $1200 later...my kit was 90% complete minus a crank pulley.

Since I own a machine company, I just widdled out a 10rib crank pulley. No biggy!

2fb6e8df3682f91260791c8fa06691c5.jpg

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
That's awesome!!!!! What size do you need? I only have a 10inch pulley right now.... but lightning are 10ribs

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Lightnings are 8rib, right? 10rib serpentines have to be ordered. They like 2x's thicker than the 8rib.

Yes, first shot of my car. The suspicion of my car must be highly sought...lol.

Long story short- purchased car in 06, drove car, installed 5.4l originally built for a 5sp crownvic, car sitting, colon disease, flare up, colon removal surgery, recovery, sold parts cause of hard times, put car together n/a, tuned, engine removed for comp274 cam install, and has sat since cyl3 exhaust valve spring broke. Oh yea...2more kids in that time frame too....lol....I wasnt kicking her off!!

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The holley blower is very in - efficient. As it was designed for a carburetor. The rotors are straight with some sort of plastic edge/wiper to keep sealed to case walls. Very old school design, but perfect for that "different" build. I believe their is more pics on my old computer. Ill plug it in and check.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Lightnings are 8rib, right? 10rib serpentines have to be ordered. They like 2x's thicker than the 8rib.

Yes, first shot of my car. The suspicion of my car must be highly sought...lol.

Long story short- purchased car in 06, drove car, installed 5.4l originally built for a 5sp crownvic, car sitting, colon disease, flare up, colon removal surgery, recovery, sold parts cause of hard times, put car together n/a, tuned, engine removed for comp274 cam install, and has sat since cyl3 exhaust valve spring broke. Oh yea...2more kids in that time frame too....lol....I wasnt kicking her off!!
The serpentine system is 8rib the blower has a dedicated 10 rib belt drive.

Does the holly kit run off the serpentine set up?

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I dont have any more, sorry. I still need to fire the old comp tower up and see what pics I can post

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
When I first started my build, I picked up a Holley 5.4l s/c intake. Holley made about 75 s/c kits for the 5.4l trucks. The kit added about 100hp and wasnt the best kit available, but perfect for a stock non-forged piston engine. I centered my build around the kit even though I only had the intake and water air cooler that resides down into the intake. Cobra pistons, npi heads, stock pi cams, shorty headers.
I still didnt have the blower!! I looked everywhere only to source 3 kits country wide, so I called Holley's head quarters in Bowling Green here in Ky. I talked to a guy refered to as Supercharger Mike. He ran me down the history of the kit, finally saying "we have no available parts" because the minimal amount of kits made, Holley had all the machining farmed out, keeping on the shelf items to a minimum. Supercharger Mike then says "Although I have everything you need sitting on a shelf at home, except the intake"...which I already had. We exchanged #'s, I meet with him, $1200 later...my kit was 90% complete minus a crank pulley.

Since I own a machine company, I just widdled out a 10rib crank pulley. No biggy!

2fb6e8df3682f91260791c8fa06691c5.jpg

I agree with the guys above.... This car looks killer and we need more photos!

OP
OP
96blak54

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
When deciding what mid pipe to run, X-pipe or H-pipe, the H-pipe offers simplicity.

Just adding an adaptee bandclamp like in the picture, allows for the pipes to widen.

addb379d6e9b3316a6eeca1f1dd4a11d.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott