96 GT Ford Racing / SVO project

AStangThang

Reaction score
Ive polished, powdered and painted many intakes. Paint is by far my favorite for many reasons, ether way you go prep is key and the most time consuming. jFYI powder does chip and scratch and can only be cleaned with mild soap and water so dont be fooled by the hype.
I've had great success with mine for 7 years.

Patientzero

Reaction score
Like someone else above mentioned I would have it media blasted. It will give you a more even finish and get into all the little nooks and crannies that the wire wheel wont.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of replies and updates. I'm out of town but will get back to it when I'm home.

I'm going to keep chipping away at it with sanding/wire wheel and paint stripper. If I can't get it down to a presentable surface I'll definitely consider the media blasting.

I'm not 100% on paint or powder but the upside of painting is that I can touch it up down the road with minimal cost. I am pretty sure that I don't have the patience for polishing though!

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
A red scotch Brite pad will help a bunch in the smaller corners. Mine is still in the natural aluminum, so I haven't had to go through this myself. Are there any markings between the two plugs in the back? Is the printed tag still on the nose? Is it readable? I'm the one running the registry of these, so we can determine how many were made, and hopefully of each type.

There were some numbers stamped and etched but the tag on the nose is long gone. I'll let you know what they are when I get back in town

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
What about doing tech primer and then automotive grade base coat/clear coat? I’ve done a few engines like that and my old painter buddy has done numerous engine/transmissions that way. The high temp rattle can paint will not hold up at all.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
A red scotch Brite pad will help a bunch in the smaller corners. Mine is still in the natural aluminum, so I haven't had to go through this myself. Are there any markings between the two plugs in the back? Is the printed tag still on the nose? Is it readable? I'm the one running the registry of these, so we can determine how many were made, and hopefully of each type.

Top near the throttle body

3c4d63ea4e6a7baec5404d4d4473203a.jpg

Stamped at the base of the top

f90211339eba68fa8df8238920cfc6c3.jpg

On the coolant crossover

38dff222056a0eed8cc9526e868ecac2.jpg

In the back

237b01aaf29b9ab60ad06eeca293e10a.jpg

That's all the markings I've come across so far. There might be something on the bottom but I need to knock off some more paint to be sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AStangThang

Reaction score
Top near the throttle body

3c4d63ea4e6a7baec5404d4d4473203a.jpg

Stamped at the base of the top

f90211339eba68fa8df8238920cfc6c3.jpg

On the coolant crossover

38dff222056a0eed8cc9526e868ecac2.jpg

In the back

237b01aaf29b9ab60ad06eeca293e10a.jpg

That's all the markings I've come across so far. There might be something on the bottom but I need to knock off some more paint to be sure

Have you found out what year blower it is? Where would you get rebuild kits for it at?

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Have you found out what year blower it is? Where would you get rebuild kits for it at?

I don't know what year it is but it is made for NPI heads based on the coolant ports.

It has new rear bearings so I'm not too worried, but based on the design I believe the M112 rebuild kit would be compatible.

AStangThang

Reaction score
I don't know what year it is but it is made for NPI heads based on the coolant ports.

It has new rear bearings so I'm not too worried, but based on the design I believe the M112 rebuild kit would be compatible.
I always wanted one of those kits, I think there pretty neat for an older Ford blower, and should make some decent power. I can't wait to see what it will look like when you get done. At least you know about a rebuild kit, and that's a big buy or pass option when buying one of those blowers. Its going to look good snugged in there.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
There were m463 units made with the Ford Racing logo on top, and PI ports. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't change the coolant opening when they did. Some came with NPI ports and owners carved them into a PI shape also.

That number on the top, I don't remember mine having one there. I'll have to look later. Mine has the BQxxxxxxx number stenciled between the two rear plugs, and some have other markings there. I may have seen something new.today.

Astangthang,
What do you mean by what year blower?
They were kits available from 1998-2004 ish, give or take. I'd imagine any m112 rebuild kit would work, but honestly there's not much to rebuild.

FYI, it's really common for people to believe these were m90 blowers. Between the Thunderbird SC, the later roush m90 blowers, and a magazine article that incorrectly id'ed these as m90's, it's become a common misconception. The m112 is a much longer rotor, it's obvious in person though.

AStangThang

Reaction score
There were m463 units made with the Ford Racing logo on top, and PI ports. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't change the coolant opening when they did. Some came with NPI ports and owners carved them into a PI shape also.

That number on the top, I don't remember mine having one there. I'll have to look later. Mine has the BQxxxxxxx number stenciled between the two rear plugs, and some have other markings there. I may have seen something new.today.

Astangthang,
They were kits available from 1998-2004 ish, give or take. I'd imagine any m112 rebuild kit would work, but honestly there's not much to rebuild.

FYI, it's really common for people to believe these were m90 blowers. Between the Thunderbird SC, the later roush m90 blowers, and a magazine article that incorrectly id'ed these as m90's, it's become a common misconception. The m112 is a much longer rotor, it's obvious in person though.
I didn't know if the if the serial # linked it to a specific year, that's all I meant by that.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score

Astangthang,

Astangthang,

Thanks for the info! It seems like these would be a little difficult to find if you're looking for them. I happened to stumble on this one but I'm glad I did

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Ordered an OEM lightning MAF sensor, 42lb injectors and alternator relocation bracket from MMR. I guess I'm going to give up the air conditioning. I'll need to buy some coolant hoses but other than that it should be mostly my own labor and time from here on out. Planning to get ahold of @2002BLGT for some tuning once I put it together

Last edited:

Silver95bird

Reaction score
To each their own, I guess. I couldn't see giving up my AC, but maybe I'm just lazy that way.

OP
OP
B

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
To each their own, I guess. I couldn't see giving up my AC, but maybe I'm just lazy that way.

I debated back and forth but I really want to clean it up and showcase the supercharger more.

My wife also reminded me that the AC quit working towards the end of the summer (I forgot) but the compressor still spun and recharging it didn't do anything. So if I wanted AC I'd have to chase down an issue anyway, this made the decision easier

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Live in an area where the heat and humidity is unbearable in the summers. No way I could give up my ac. Especially since mine is black on black leather.

I don’t see how some of y’all do it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
10% body fat!

Unless youre built like lwarrior, 10% body fat, stacked like a dang brick house....i swear that guy would have the a/c running in the Canadian winter wearing shorts and t-shirt.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online