97whitevert build thread UPDATED 9-19-12

Marvin97

Reaction score
Welcome to my build thread. This is how my car looked when I found it
Marvinscamera000.jpg

1997 GT Convertible, 101k miles, picked it up for 4k.

After some cleaning, a new top and a set of sportlines, I had a decent looking ride.
100_0013.jpg

100_0007.jpg

List of mods to date are:
Flows
Mac offroad x pipe
dumps
MGW shifter
Cobra gauge cluster
white ac gauge face
rear seat delete
4:10 gears
Cobra R hood
Billet headlight knob
BOI smoked headlights
5% window tint on the sides, back
50% tint windshield
I don't have any pics of this stuff right now, i'll update with new interior pics when I get some.

So the plan was to pi-swap this car, but it wasnt meant to be. I bought a set of ported pi heads, a pi intake with the aluminum crossover, an sct xcal 2, and new valve cover gaskets(needed them). i was about a week away from ordering a set of cams and the headchanging kit, when she started making a noise. I limped her home, only to find that despite showing perfect oil pressure, oil wasn't showing up on the dipstick. It took 4quarts to get it where it needed to be, but the damage had been done, I had spun a bearing.

So now I had come to a crossroad, I could either replace all the internals and build this 2v, or upgrade. I chose to upgrade, and recently bought this:
Marvinscamera031.jpg

46k miles, 01 cobra engine and trans
So far I've purchased for it:
JLT true cold air intake(black with red ghost flames)
Flowtech Longtube headers
an a/c delete pulley(thanks ninety7_four6)
and a QA1 kmember(thanks Dalamar)

So the process of getting it out starts...
we removed the hood, fenders, frontbumper, inner fenderwells, radiator, overflow, drained the ac, dropped the exhaust, intake pipe, driveshaft, clutch cable, powersteering lines, yada yada
Marvinscamera027-1.jpg

Next we rolled the hoist up, hooked the chain and pulled out the engine and trans
Marvinscamera015.jpg

a shot of me, don't make fun
Marvinscamera016.jpg

and a shot of me and my 2 buds that have been helping so far
Marvinscamera017.jpg

We were really proud at this point, we're all 21 and this is the first motor we've ever pulled.
So this is where we sit right now
Marvinscamera018.jpg

Im currently waiting for the ac delete pulley and k member to arrive. Then we can drop it in, button it up and make sure it'll run good. Then it'll get a set of underdrive pulleys, and im thinking i'll have the intake and valve covers powdercoated black. Thinking about the timing cover as well, but not sure yet. But a dyno tune will be first on the list. Thanks for looking, will update when something changes!

MrNiceGuy

Reaction score
Re: 97whitevert build thread

lookin good man! take lots of pictures and keep us updated

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score

what are you going to do as far as wiring and the fuel system goes? that motor has returnless fuel rails on it.

Also, if you aren't going to run A/C, i would pull out the condenser in front of the radiator as well as all the other lines.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score

DIY FTW!!!

Bravo for doing it yourself dude. keep us updated.

Good luck, one of my favs swap in the sn95 cars.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score

Nuice going man! How hard was it to pull the engine??? Im going to be following your example here soon :p
Looking forward to any updates!

Win

Legend
Reaction score

Looks good man props for doing it yourself. She will be a nice one when you get done.

EastBayStang98

Reaction score

looks like a sweet build bro, good luck with it

JonBeast

Legend
Reaction score

Nice build man...but this should be in the "Build-Ups" forum.

I used to have a tan top/interior...but I opted for a black top and fully converted black interior as opposed to the peanut butter :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

Thanks everyone
DFG_Pimpin said:
what are you going to do as far as wiring and the fuel system goes? that motor has returnless fuel rails on it.

Also, if you aren't going to run A/C, i would pull out the condenser in front of the radiator as well as all the other lines.
I'll be retaining the harness and ecu from the gt and flashing a tune for a cobra onto it. Thankfully the xcal2 i bought has tunes on it for a 99 cobra. I need to get a set of cobra fuel rails, anybody on here have a set for sale? I will be removing the ac completely, just haven't got to it yet. The car isn't at my house, I live in an apartment so its at my buddies house in his garage.
1996mustangGT said:
Nuice going man! How hard was it to pull the engine??? Im going to be following your example here soon :p
Looking forward to any updates!
It was easy. Seriously, if you have any automotive experience at all, you can do it. I'll tell you you'll need a 12 sided socket for the driveshaft bolts, and the motor mount bolts were an odd size, like 13/16. Also, make sure you have the ac drained before you start taking it apart.
JonBeast said:
I used to have a tan top/interior...but I opted for a black top and fully converted black interior as opposed to the peanut butter :thumbsup:
Dont be hating on the peanut butter!

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score

Huh, never thought of my saddle top as peanut butter! I love peanut butter, but I'm just changing to black cause it will look better! Goes with what I'm having done to my car.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score

97whitevert said:
I'll be retaining the harness and ecu from the gt and flashing a tune for a cobra onto it. Thankfully the xcal2 i bought has tunes on it for a 99 cobra. I need to get a set of cobra fuel rails, anybody on here have a set for sale? I will be removing the ac completely, just haven't got to it yet. The car isn't at my house, I live in an apartment so its at my buddies house in his garage.

have you done your research on the tuning and what harness to use? Your car has coil packs, and the 99+ have COP. your car has a return style fuel system and the 99+ have returnless. You will either have to switch to returnless, or you will have to modify some fuel rails to fit onto the cobra motor. You won't be able to use your harness, coil packs, etc. and just upload some tunes that were made for a 99 Cobra. It just won't work.

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

DFG_Pimpin said:
have you done your research on the tuning and what harness to use? Your car has coil packs, and the 99+ have COP. your car has a return style fuel system and the 99+ have returnless. You will either have to switch to returnless, or you will have to modify some fuel rails to fit onto the cobra motor. You won't be able to use your harness, coil packs, etc. and just upload some tunes that were made for a 99 Cobra. It just won't work.
I've done plenty of research, and I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've been told its easier than trying to use the cobra ecu and harness. If for some reason it doesn't work like that, I have the cobra ecu and harness as well, so it'll work one way or another.
I also realize the fuel system issue, im looking for a set of cobra fuel rails from a 96-98 to modify to fix the problem.

ninety7_four6

Reaction score

yea the fuel is a pretty easy fix and he said he is gonna get a dyno tune anyways.. i didnt even mess around with uploading tunes just started it pulled it on a trailer and off to livernois

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

ninety7_four6 said:
yea the fuel is a pretty easy fix and he said he is gonna get a dyno tune anyways.. i didnt even mess around with uploading tunes just started it pulled it on a trailer and off to livernois
You kept your gt harness on your swap didn't you? I remember seeing coil packs in your pics..

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score

if you're still looking for fuel rails, i have one off my 96. I also have EV1 style 24 lb injectors that you'll need if you are keeping your harnesses.. the ones on the motor are EV6

OP
OP
Marvin97

Marvin97

Reaction score

DFG_Pimpin said:
if you're still looking for fuel rails, i have one off my 96. I also have EV1 style 24 lb injectors that you'll need if you are keeping your harnesses.. the ones on the motor are EV6
Just bought some rails tonight actually. What do you want for the injectors? Don't suppose i could just swap the plugs for the injectors could I?

Anyway, I got alot finished tonight, although i did forget to take my camera. Removed the ac compressor and installed the delete pulley. Also took out the condenser and lines from the car. Took the crappy idle pulleys off, along with the junk tensioner pulley and serpentine belt. All this will be replaced with new. Mounted the coil packs, that was pretty straight forward. Removed the gt harness from the engine pretty easily and quickly. The cobra was another story. To remove the engine harness, you must remove the upper and lower intake. Part of the harness runs under it, and is bolted in the valley in 2 places. So that was fun. The gt harness doesn't need to go back under here.

Everything seems to be about the same, the only differences I found were that the injectors were different, the plugs arent the same. Also, there are 2 coolant sensors on the gt motor, where as there is only one on the cobra. Not real sure what needs to happen there yet, we will see. Dropped the LT headers off today to be sandblasted, K-member should be here tomorrow. Fuel rails probably Mon-Tuesday of next week.
Its coming together.