An Outsider "Reviews" The SN95

Reaction score
One statement could put all this to rest....
Why did gm drop the camaro when they were competing against in all honesty the same mustang.....hmmm...

Because secretaries, hairdressers, and rental car agencies kept buying up V6 Mustangs?

EDIT: Because the styling was more effeminate and the driving experience less intimidating to women than the Camaro which had beefier lines, weighed more, and was 'scarier' to drive.

I'll be honest, I bought my first Mustang (96GT) because it was lighter and easier to handle (and easier to find in a manual transmission) than the Z28.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, no need to get worked up here guys. It's just opinions, back and forth. And we are all entitled to them. Aaaaand we will all argue them until we are blue in the face, and still get nowhere. If we want to have a discussion, then by all means, lets. I will get my popcorn and open my mind. Just let's keep it civil.

SOHC_Foodblister, I'm sure if the dude in the video reviewed a 20 year old beat Camaro, his review would end up being about the same for that car as it was for the Ford. Slight differences here and there, certainly. But it would essentially be the same review.

@Everyone else: Foodblister has a leg to stand on - these cars were underwhelming when they came out - and I don't mean that by today's standards. I mean that by "then" standards. People were always talking about whipping up on stock 'Stangs with turbo'd 4 cyls. It's okay. It doesn't lessen these cars in any way. Look at it this way: It simply means that Ford, from the factory, decided to leave a lot on the table for enthusiasts to play with. And that's totally okay.

And since this is in the interwebz, I get my $0.02 - I, frankly, don't care about that guy in the video doing the review, or his opinion. Don't get me wrong, I mean no offense to him. But it's just his opinion. Of a car. I can go find many other examples. So he gives the car a bad review. So what? Who cares? This isn't Top Gear. It's not like the Clarkson has declared it crap (and he may have, back in the day - I will have to see if I can find a review from him) - but he's just a dude. I don't like my car more or less because of what that guy said. Honestly, I kind of like that Ford left so much on the table - that's what makes this fun for me. If I wanted an already sorted car, I would have bought one (which I did for my DD). I specifically bought this car because 1) I could learn on it as I improved it and 2) It has a lot of potential on tap. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Alright, no need to get worked up here guys. It's just opinions, back and forth. And we are all entitled to them. Aaaaand we will all argue them until we are blue in the face, and still get nowhere. If we want to have a discussion, then by all means, lets. I will get my popcorn and open my mind. Just let's keep it civil.

SOHC_Foodblister, I'm sure if the dude in the video reviewed a 20 year old beat Camaro, his review would end up being about the same for that car as it was for the Ford. Slight differences here and there, certainly. But it would essentially be the same review.

@Everyone else: Foodblister has a leg to stand on - these cars were underwhelming when they came out - and I don't mean that by today's standards. I mean that by "then" standards. People were always talking about whipping up on stock 'Stangs with turbo'd 4 cyls. It's okay. It doesn't lessen these cars in any way. Look at it this way: It simply means that Ford, from the factory, decided to leave a lot on the table for enthusiasts to play with. And that's totally okay.

And since this is in the interwebz, I get my $0.02 - I, frankly, don't care about that guy in the video doing the review, or his opinion. Don't get me wrong, I mean no offense to him. But it's just his opinion. Of a car. I can go find many other examples. So he gives the car a bad review. So what? Who cares? This isn't Top Gear. It's not like the Clarkson has declared it crap (and he may have, back in the day - I will have to see if I can find a review from him) - but he's just a dude. I don't like my car more or less because of what that guy said. Honestly, I kind of like that Ford left so much on the table - that's what makes this fun for me. If I wanted an already sorted car, I would have bought one (which I did for my DD). I specifically bought this car because 1) I could learn on it as I improved it and 2) It has a lot of potential on tap. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
But.........ford still sold more mustangs than any other car, in like......the history of selling cars so.....opinions and facts.....whether gm stuck with an old push rod motor or not, hell still does is fact but also irrelevent. Ford didnt have to drop their car for like......10 yrs to redesign it

Oh and just so its clear, besides the mustang, i hate ford. Im a mopar man through and through. You still have to give credit were its due.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The power argument is pretty null. The big argument then was displacement, blah blah. I would expect a motor that is more than a liter larger to make more power. Who cares?

Per the "sold more Mustangs than any car" do you mean in Ford alone or including their competitors. Because the Camry vastly outsells the Mustang. The F-Series (while not a "car") vastly outsells it as well.

I will say, there's no reason to be a rectal ulcer when trying to state your opinion. Just state it like a normal human being.

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Oh and just so its clear, besides the mustang, i hate ford. Im a mopar man through and through.

lol

Per the "sold more Mustangs than any car" do you mean in Ford alone or including their competitors. Because the Camry vastly outsells the Mustang. The F-Series (while not a "car") vastly outsells it as well.

As in, mustang vs camaro. From '94-'04 it's not even fair.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/warning-graphic-content-50-years-of-camaro-vs-mustang-sales-numbers-in-living-color/

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
IDC, i'll take my slower/easier to work on/more reliable sn95 over the faster Fbody. At least everything around the engine isn't complete garbage like the Fbody is.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie when I brought my 98gt home the day I bought it it was in the same condition as the reviewed car and I would have given it the same review. But I think it's safe to say that you can polish a turd. But I have had a 96 lt1 z28 6spd and also a 99 trans am 6spd and look what I decided to have today.... a polished turd lol. And no complaints on that decision.

Sent using my Typewriter

Nighttrain

Reaction score
The power argument is pretty null. The big argument then was displacement, blah blah. I would expect a motor that is more than a liter larger to make more power. Who cares?

I will say, there's no reason to be a rectal ulcer when trying to state your opinion. Just state it like a normal human being.

No im talking from 64 1/2 to now. The f series might be close but we are talking about cars. The camry hasnt been around long enough

Nighttrain

Reaction score

So 7 years out of 50 the camaro outsold the mustang.....and some of those years the lead was miniscule. If you wanted to compare camaro to mustang from 94 to 04 you have to compare apples to apples. The ss/z28(because for a good stretch there you were buying a z28 with the ss package(appearance) with the cobra. Not the terminator in fact. Just a regular "4.6" 4 valve to the "5.7" ls1. Hp was by factory standards the same, and gm had a whole cube bigger motor. Ill say it again, im a car guy, ive had more than i can count. I had a camaro, hated it. My opinion anyway....sales do matter, whether it was a v6 being bought by a 18yr old blond ditz, it doesnt matter. Chevy sold more v6 camaro's than they did z28's. The separation from z28 and ss disnt happen till 99 or 2000. Pain to work on, sat too low for my knees to take getting out. Sold it and bought my boss. I LOVED that car. Only vehicle 2 vehicles i loved more was my first, an 83 monte carlo that i built, top to bottom, built a 383 in school just for that car. Second was my last cummins 750 tire smoking hp. My next car will be another mustang. Easy to work on, reliable and fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online