Can't hook up?

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
i have a 94 gt vert with the following mods bbk CAI, 73mm mass air, 65mm throttle body, hooker shorties e/l, bassani x-pipe with magna cats, flowmaster cat back 40 series muffers, MSD ign 6a box, FRRP 9mm wires, MSD coil, MSD cap/rotor, B&M short throw, 373s, jet performance module, Venom Performance Module, and Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch. my problem is that i can't seem to hook up at the track burn all the way through 1st, 2nd and chirp into 3rd. i am running street tires Nitto 245/45/R17 and stock suspension, i plan to buy some upper and lower rear control arms and some DR. i was hoping you guys could give me some tips. i just cant seem to get out of the 15s my local track( at 2,710ft). shouldnt my car be able to run a faster time then that?

m0n0x1d3

Reaction score
Those LCA's will help you out a ton in planting that rear to the street. Also, be sure to lower your tire pressure of those DR's. I had to run @ 26 psi on my 555r's to see any gains at the the track. Also with nitto's you REALLY have to boil them bitches down to get them to be worth a damn. So don't be too stingy with the burnouts as they NEED to be heated up. That's what they're made for. Give'em hell!!!
Even beating on mine i got a decent life span out of 'em, even comparable to some of the all-seasons I've been threw.

You also have some 373's so you are prolly always going to be blazing the tires, especially down low.

Some good springs will also work wonders for you. BUT if you are short on $$$ and don't mind a tad rougher ride one the street (although most lowing springs are likely going to degrade your ride), I'd suggest getting some 4-cyl fox springs for the rear. Also, investing in some lakewood 90/10's for the front would work wonders.

ripper

Reaction score
You need drag radials. LOL plain and simple. Heatin up those street tires wont help a bit. (make ya spin more actually). Ive got BFG G Force 295 35 18's. Its all in the rubber composition man. Just be careful on wet roads with them d/r's. there like :banana: LOL

Your launch and spin are killin ya. You should be way down the 14 scale. Dont ever think you need spray or boost to go fast. We have a guy in here on his way to 9's on motor alone. He did a 10.20 last week :eek:. Get those d/r's and swap em at the track if you have a spare set of rims. Cook em good and you will get good bite. :eek:uttahere:

Downshift

Reaction score
LCAs will help alot, the stock suspension isnt helping at all. Subframe connectors are damn cheap and would help out a lot too. And I dont care what tire they are 245s on the back of a mustang with what you have on it is not going to do much but spin. I found Nittos 275/17s for 125 or so on the net and that was looking at one place only im sure somewhere has them a little cheaper.

As for 15s, whats your 60ft and MPH? Once you work out your traction problems I would say mid to low 14s easy.

m0n0x1d3

Reaction score
my bad man. i read nitto and didnt think to see if they were DR's or not.

Yea, pick some up ASAP

ryclef331

Reaction score
On any kind of street tire, you can't expect miracles.

I noticed one thing about your combo though that I don't like. A Jet Performance Module AND a Venom Module? I'm amazed the car will even run right. You really need to ditch them. We aren't talking diesels here and we're not stacking programmers. I would ditch both of them. They don't do ANYTHING for the car that you can't do with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a timing light. I would venture to say that if you can get your 60 ft down CONSISTENTLY, the car would go faster without them on there. The Venom Module doesn't DO SHIT. It tricks the ecu by ramping up the TPS voltage....thats it. Its tells it you're at 100% throttle when your foot is at only say 2/3rds throttle....then you mat it....and it makes a different noise but the car doesn't pull any harder. You can do the same thing a Venom Module does for free....by PUSHING THE PEDAL DOWN TO THE FLOOR. THAT SIMPLE. Do some research on it. They're garbage. You may "feel" faster and the car "feels" snappier but put on a dyno or on the track. Do a run with it on and another off. If you're consistent, the times will be the same.....I'd put money on it.

OP
OP
M

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
hey thanks guys for the tips on tires and LCAs. one question tho......i cant seem to find any drag radials for a 17in rim besides nitto's 555R. does anyone know of some other companies out there that would have that size. hopefully by the end of this year i will be able to get some wider tires for the back. as for the venom performance module and jet perf mod goes.....they seem to be working good together. it also seems to accelerate fast at higher speeds.

OP
OP
M

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
...also with my current application, what would you say would be the best rpm to launch my car at? would it be better to kinda bogg it off the line then punch it?

Spd0lit

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if this is Lacr because your times will allways be a little bad because the track prep isn't the greatest and the windy nights don't help either.

ryclef331

Reaction score
ok as for 17" drag radials....you have plenty of choices...even other THAN drag radials.

Nittos = Good street miles for a drag radial but not as good as other drag radials out there....better than a street tire.

BFGs = A good middle ground. Good hook up and ok tire life.

M/T ET Street Radials = Not so great mileage but the BEST hooking tire you will find for the drag radial class.

There ARE others out there. Check summit's site for more and the above mentioned brands. ON a 17x8 wheel, you can stuff a 275 40 r 17 on the back.

OP
OP
M

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
i forgot to mention that my rims are 17X9 not 17X8. will that make a big difference in my choices?

stang94X

Reaction score
if you want radials go with hoosiers or M/T's or if you want to go a different route and get a set just for the track you can get a pair of cheap 15" rims that came off the stangs with a set of M/T ET street slicks

Spd0lit

Reaction score
yea i have a pretty similar setup and that is the track that i go to pretty often. You should look into sub-frame connectors and some control arms they will make a world of diffrence with that track. Maybe i'll see you there some time.

OP
OP
M

MuscleInc1320

Reaction score
thanks for the tips. i am going there on june 1 so i might see ya there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online