Could be on to something here...

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
FFABE86E-9606-4929-8AD8-C0543B761DF8.jpeg84D0A8B4-E7B6-458B-A2D3-BB69E463B4F1.jpeg 095555C1-50BD-4258-AB3D-7A114965F1D6.jpeg After reinstalling the original cowl cover on my ‘95 because the replacement firmest was actually worse(!), I actually had an epiphany.
Why don’t I try my Harley Black inner faring and trim Rejuvenator on the plastic cowl cover? Stuff worked great on my scoot. So, a clean old rag and about three dabs the size of quarters, viola... see for yourself!

Before/During/and After sequence ...

Last edited:

delling3

Reaction score
Looks like similar results that I have gotten with Mother’s Back to Black. Depending how much UV your car gets, you’ll likely need to reapply 2-3 times a year.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s the stuff from HD:image.jpg
Looks like similar results that I have gotten with Mother’s Back to Black. Depending how much UV your car gets, you’ll likely need to reapply 2-3 times a year.
Yes, I have used the spray-on back to black on my Ram’s upper and lower grills. Great coverage with the spray in such applications. Gets in all the nooks and crannies in the honeycomb style grill.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if your not doing anything with the old one, keep the rubber pieces that go around the hood for someone that gets a carbon fiber cowl

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Armor All... ...Mequiars... ...Crisco... ...I want a product that will last a rain storm or a full week in the direct sun.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
its going to sound dirty , but I use some stuff called wet, its actually for tires ,
but works good on plastics

95opal

Reaction score
When you get tired of applying that stuff every two weeks do yourself a favor and grab a can of SEM trim paint and be done.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I used to paint over the plastic but then it
Peels and flakes after some time
If you don't prep it right it's like painting a bumper cover it will bubble
I like the natural look of black plastic

95opal

Reaction score
As with all paint its in the prep and correct paint. Ive painted a dozen or so cowl panels and i can guarantee you wouldnt know it was painted and never had one peel.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Agreed that after YEARS of applying stuff like we mentioned to the cowl it would take a light scuff and a good going over with a wax/grease remover prep. But if its done right there is no fear of chipping.

PinkieT

Reaction score
Anybody ever paint a cowl cover body color? Just wondering what it would look like...

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I painted my cf cowl to match the stripe up the hood. I don't have a good pic with the cowl at the moment. IF thing go well I am due to take it in for that alignment its been needing which will hopefully mean some pics of it out of the garage for a change.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Agreed that after YEARS of applying stuff like we mentioned to the cowl it would take a light scuff and a good going over with a wax/grease remover prep. But if its done right there is no fear of chipping.

I painted my convertible trim (pieces that run along the rear windows and trunk lid). I had previous used armor all and other products on it for years. I can’t remember how well I prepped it. Sanding, soap, etc. Wasn’t very good IMO, but painting it helped. Finish wasnt perfect but it was black, so who cares. Over time, it too, turned grey. Lasted a year though parked outside. And while it didn’t ever chip off, I think the factory coating cracked under it, as they were metal pieces that were coated in some sort of black material.

Anybody ever paint a cowl cover body color? Just wondering what it would look like...

typically look awful. I’ve seen people paint an accent color, which is always terrible. Body color, just looks like overkill. Same goes with painted mirrors.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if your not doing anything with the old one, keep the rubber pieces that go around the hood for someone that gets a carbon fiber cowl
Ok!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online