Coyote SN95

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
That's cheating...
Lol stupid California with its vehicle restriction ands regulations. Might as well get a 67 and call it a day hahah

you can technically still get in trouble with that lol

OP
OP
neverenuff

neverenuff

Reaction score
Pre-1975 you should be good to go. I could go on a long smog rant but the short and sweet of it is Mary Nicholas is the head of the California Air Resources Board and has been since 1979- this is why we have such strict smog laws.....unless you are a huge company like Volkswagen

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Yes even if it is smog exempt. I know a few guys that got sent to the ref for swaps on their smog except cars. Reason being, that CA law states that you can only swap a motor if it came standard in that body style. they did not have the coyote motor in 1967, therefore, swap is illegal unless certified.

OP
OP
neverenuff

neverenuff

Reaction score
That is a great looking wheel. I've always liked them as well.
Thanks man! They fit too! Even with the coil overs and no spacers
e309b9e84a897c6c0b472826ed1e6db0.jpg
These are replica 18x9 though, the ones I'm probably going with are 18x9.5 so I might need a spacer...
384f3587a2b2cabac863d7ec888e56f7.jpg
4e50fb1b1de507ca9c0f835d8fd2728e.jpg

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
My wheel rubs my coilover :(

sent from the toilet or from my cubicle

OP
OP
neverenuff

neverenuff

Reaction score
LMR's 18x9.5 came in today, definitely like it over the wheel replicas version. No to grab a few more and some rubber to match
534178a420ae9d44ea83dd1a812f0d9e.jpg

8f8bae5f8a75331633eea9629bff4bee.jpg

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
wrap them in some 275s or 265s with some sticky tires and you'll drop seconds pretty quickly. Look into arenas 615k. decent tire all around and very popular with autocross. If you plan on going some competition events, they are 200 tread wear so they won't bump you out of classes

OP
OP
neverenuff

neverenuff

Reaction score
wrap them in some 275s or 265s with some sticky tires and you'll drop seconds pretty quickly. Look into arenas 615k. decent tire all around and very popular with autocross. If you plan on going some competition events, they are 200 tread wear so they won't bump you out of classes
Trick is I still want to have a good street tire too. 18's are an awkward size as far as prices go, 19s oddly enough are cheaper

Mustanger

Reaction score
Yes even if it is smog exempt. I know a few guys that got sent to the ref for swaps on their smog except cars. Reason being, that CA law states that you can only swap a motor if it came standard in that body style. they did not have the coyote motor in 1967, therefore, swap is illegal unless certified.

I was told you can put any modern engine in IF you meet ALL the smog requirements for the new engines year! They let you go stricter but never looser...

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I was told you can put any modern engine in IF you meet ALL the smog requirements for the new engines year! They let you go stricter but never looser...

Its kind of weird, because the laws state that you can put any modern engine (if its in the same class) into a car, as long as you have all the modern cars smog equipment installed and it passes the emissions test for the donor car. However, if the parts are not cared legal, you will need to get it certificate by the state ref. They will then issue you another VIN unique to your vehicle and will be used for emissions. With that being said, obviously 1975 and older cars do not require smog. Therefore you will think you'll be ok putting a newer engine in it. However, it is still an illegal swap because it is not certified. See the confusion? I am pretty sure if you get ticketed on a 1967 fastback with a coyote you can contest it, but depending how the judge feels, they may or may not buy it. The law is pretty clear that it needs to be certified to be legal. Its retarded, but law is law.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Trick is I still want to have a good street tire too. 18's are an awkward size as far as prices go, 19s oddly enough are cheaper

Not really. My tire in 18s are cheaper, not by much but they are. However in 18s, theres a ton of choices. 19s you are very limited. What is your definition of a good street tire? Good Mileage? Good traction?

OP
OP
neverenuff

neverenuff

Reaction score
Not really. My tire in 18s are cheaper, not by much but they are. However in 18s, theres a ton of choices. 19s you are very limited. What is your definition of a good street tire? Good Mileage? Good traction?
Traction and some wet weather ability. There is nothing worse than being stuck out in the rain(CA) without any traction. I've put too many stangs in the ditch for this reason alone. Softer rubber helps a ton. Mileage? I get 25 mpg highway with 3.73's. It's not going to get much better than that

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Traction and some wet weather ability. There is nothing worse than being stuck out in the rain(CA) without any traction. I've put too many stangs in the ditch for this reason alone. Softer rubber helps a ton. Mileage? I get 25 mpg highway with 3.73's. It's not going to get much better than that

By mileage i meant how long the tires last, for example 8000 miles or 5. Good traction=low mileage. so you have to find the balance of both. I think Continental DW are a pretty good mix and they last forever (so they say). My tires are good in the rain, but you gotta drive on them for a little, but i can still spin them easily. Its tricky finding the right tire

OP
OP
neverenuff

neverenuff

Reaction score
Oh, there are better mpg tires out there as well, I've ran Nitto 555's for 3-4 years in the rear and never had a problem and that's about their lifespan as well. Maybe I'll try running them in the fronts as well. Never heard anything bad about Continentals either

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
If you need some help with tires, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Canaryonvskf’s

Members online