Dkblue98GT"s white 97 Cobra vert

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
A few, thanks for asking. I haven't had much time to work on the car.

I did install my SLP x pipe. I eliminated the cats with some SVE MIL eliminators. Installed the Magnaflow catback and made some hangers for the tail pipes from 3/8" rod since 97 and 98 use different hangers. I also bought a JLT next gen cold air intake and put it on. The car sound and runs great now.

I bought a Cobra specific Stifflers cross member to clear the x pipe and used the poly trans mount out of the GT.

I still have not done the suspension yet...I've been putting it off because it's summer I have been enjoying driving the car so much with the top down. A convertible was definitely the right choice!

Eventually I want to pull the suspension including the K member and clean it up, get the good stuff installed and get an alignment. I am about to yank the motor and trans from the GT so I can get the poly motor mounts off so I can put them on the Cobra when the K member is out.

I will try to get some pics soon...

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I have been doing such a crappy job of keeping this updated I have forgotten a lot that's been done. Got some BFG Comp TA"s for the front in 255x40x17, installed the MSD coils, replaced the leaking gas tank filler gasket and got an 03 Cobra shift knob.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
A few, thanks for asking. I haven't had much time to work on the car.

I did install my SLP x pipe. I eliminated the cats with some SVE MIL eliminators. Installed the Magnaflow catback and made some hangers for the tail pipes from 3/8" rod since 97 and 98 use different hangers. I also bought a JLT next gen cold air intake and put it on. The car sound and runs great now.

I bought a Cobra specific Stifflers cross member to clear the x pipe and used the poly trans mount out of the GT.

I still have not done the suspension yet...I've been putting it off because it's summer I have been enjoying driving the car so much with the top down. A convertible was definitely the right choice!

Eventually I want to pull the suspension including the K member and clean it up, get the good stuff installed and get an alignment. I am about to yank the motor and trans from the GT so I can get the poly motor mounts off so I can put them on the Cobra when the K member is out.

I will try to get some pics soon...

Great update, i bet shes breathing much better now. She must sound pretty awesome, maybe do a sound clip when you get the chance. LT headers are worth looking into, the 4v sees decent response from full exhaust but most importantly it sounds sooooo good. To fit the 3" xpipe had to use a new edge style trans mount which allowed for the proper clearance.

Glad to hear you are lovin the vert! Verts are great for summer crusin! Maybe do the suspension in the off season. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I do love the way it sounds. I have been looking at long tubes. When I have the K member out will be the best time to do them. Any recommendations for good 4V headers?

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I do love the way it sounds. I have been looking at long tubes. When I have the K member out will be the best time to do them. Any recommendations for good 4V headers?

Good idea, the brand I have is ARH, American Racing Headers. Im in love with my exhaust note. Posting 2 short vids below but keep in mind it was recorded with a cell phone so the sound quality isnt as good as real life, def gives the viewer an idea but sounds so much better in real life. - Good sound equipment is key.

-Def look up the brand on youtube with a 4.6 4v and proper sound equipment to get a better idea.

Turn up that volume!

Coil overs are still setting and it is being tuned in this clip

[video=youtube;fqjeR5MFMaw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqjeR5MFMaw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Cold start Winter

[video=youtube;yz8U16JMgJY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz8U16JMgJY&feature=youtu.be[/video]

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
A month since the last update and still have not done much other than Drive the car with the top down a lot...

I have done a few things.

Cobra shift knob

MSD coils, JLT next gen intake, Canton coolant tank.

Full exhaust, SLP catless X and Magnaflow catback.

I got a message from the original owner the other day. He found the owners manual and wondered if I wanted it, of course I did.

I still have a huge pile of suspension parts to install but since it's been 100 degrees every day that will have to wait...

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Awesome, nice update. You should post an exhaust video for us!

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
I just put coilovers in my car in the middle of the day here, and the humidity is way higher then there.

Man up bruh...lol

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
1998cobrasvt,

I notice you have under drive pulleys on your car. What brand and how do you like them? I have read that a lot of people think they are a bad idea on Cobra's. I have an almost new set of Steeda pulleys on the GT that I am considering putting on the Cobra. Thoughts?

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
1998cobrasvt,

I notice you have under drive pulleys on your car. What brand and how do you like them? I have read that a lot of people think they are a bad idea on Cobra's. I have an almost new set of Steeda pulleys on the GT that I am considering putting on the Cobra. Thoughts?

Currently running the Steeda under drive pulley setup for a few years now and i def like em! A performance gain will be noticed. Some say they dont like them because they're slightly less effective at charging the battery while at idle. This doesnt affect you or me because we drive our cars! Keeps the battery charged just fine :thumbsup:

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I should have elaborated on why I'm asking about the Under drive pulleys on a Cobra. There is a sticky in the 4V section over on the Corral that talks about oil pump gears failing with UD pulleys on these motors. I would hate to make an expensive mistake...

http://forums.corral.net/forums/svt-dohc/1228923-u-d-pullies-opinions-professionals.html

Ahh i see, first i am hearing of it. I can only refer to how mine has held up the last few years, and its been doing great. Hope you see the same results. If my pump fails you will be the first to know, mine would go before yours if their theory holds water, its held up just fine so far and shes been raced countless times since they've been on :)

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I couldn't take the crappy one piece headlights anymore so I install my Cobra headlights and stock corner lights today.

Before

After

I also cleaned up the core support while I had the cover off.

It was also time to install my Aluminum drive shaft.

Also remo9ved the "Dog bone" looks like the pinion seal leaks a little...

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I couldn't take the crappy one piece headlights anymore so I install my Cobra headlights and stock corner lights today.

Before

After

I also cleaned up the core support while I had the cover off.

It was also time to install my Aluminum drive shaft.

Also remo9ved the "Dog bone" looks like the pinion seal leaks a little...

Nice, looks so much better!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online