Dkblue98GT"s white 97 Cobra vert

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
The last few years have been hard on my 98 GT. Until last August I was commuting 130 miles a day, 5 days a week. My wife was in school and needed our Jetta for that so the GT was my commuter... The paint on the GT was pretty nice when I got it but I soon found out the clear coat was poorly done. The paint has looked crappy for the last 4 years.

From this:

To this:

I decided to buy another car with good paint to swap all of my good parts to. The I started thinking I might like a convertible.

After 2 months of looking at 100's of Mustang and Cobra's on Craigslist I found one.

1997 Crystal white with black top and black leather, 1 of 190 made in that combo.

The car was in Phoenix I called about it on a Tuesday and the owner sent me a bunch of pictures and seemed like a good guy. Turns out he was a great guy. I flew in on Friday night and he picked me up at the airport and found me a motel. He picked me up in the cobra the next morning and we went to an MVD place to transfer it to me. We the went back to his house where I loaded up the extra's and hit the road.
Cervinis speedster top and original convertible boot.:

I put the speedster top in the back with the top down and hit the road.

My sister in law lives in Flagstaff so that was my first stop. I stayed overnight in Flag and ate some really good food. The next day I drove home to Albuquerque.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Congrats on the new Cobra DK. Looks great. How many miles does she have? - Sounds like a fun mini adventure getting her back home, I drove approx 14 hours in one day to get mine home. - What are the plans for this build?

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Thanks guys! The car has 128,000 miles but it's in very good condition. I no longer do the 130 mile commute. Now that it's gotten warm I will do the 25 mile round trip to work on my bicycle.

My 98 has a lot of good stuff that I will swap to the cobra starting with the wheels and tires. The Cobra had new American muscle black Bullits in 17x9 with some new but cheap tires. The PO had a bad tire and did 225 50 17's all around. I am not a fan of black wheels so the had to go.

I

have some 17x9/17x10.5 silver Bullits with MT sport comps from the GT, those went on yesterday...

I thought it would be an easy wheel swap until this happened.

I could feel that it was starting to bind and seize. I just decided to break it and replace it since I had a spare car.

I like the car a lot better with the big wheels and tires. The wheel gap is huge.
Front

Rear

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I also removed the quad shocks since I will be redoing the suspension.

All of the suspension from the GT will be going on the Cobra except for the Eibach Pro kit springs. I will be ordering some H&R Super sport convertible springs for this car.

Suspension plans are:
MM CC plates
MM solid rack bushings
MM steering shaft
Steeda bumpsteer kit
Energy suspension Poly control arm bushings
Moog ball joints
Inner tie rod ends
MM HD rear lower control arms
MM pinion snubber
J&M rear upper control arms
New rubber axle bushings
Eibach swaybars
Tokico blue shocks and struts

I also need to get some MM subframe connectors.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I will put the stock suspension from the vert on it and get it running again then sell it. I ordered some H&R super sport springs the other day, let the lowering begin!

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I haven't had much time to spend with this car since I got it but I thought this was pretty cool.
Original window sticker

I also got a 1998 Cobra brochure

Sorry about the sideways pics. Photobucket would not rotate them...

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Like most SN95's my drivers side seat motor gears were stripped. It took me about half an hour to get the rear mounting bolts out. Once that was done I pulled the Corbeau CR1 seats out of the GT and put them in the Cobra. I have these mounted on manual tracks. They sit a lot lower and further back than the stock seats which is good because I am a tall guy.

I also got the Steeda Tri ax installed and adjusted. The Tri ax was one of the first mods I did to the GT so I had forgotten how weak the stock shifter felt.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
The car is much nicer to drive with my old seats and shifter.

I also changed out the black tail lights for the red stock tails on the GT. I'm not a fan of the blacked out tails...

Before

After

I also swapped out the worn out rear shocks for my Tokico blues. The rear rides better. My new H&R springs will be here tomorrow. I have a lot of work ahead of me.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I have a new filler neck gasket coming to replace the leaking one it has now. I also have an 03/04 Cobra shift knob on the way. The clutch releases pretty high, needs a firewall adjuster.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I haven't had much time to work on or drive the car in the last few weeks. Yesterday I started disassembling the GT.
I removed:
Magnaflow catback
SLP catted X pipe
Eibach swaybars
MM solid rack bushings
MM CC plates
MM steering shaft
Tokico blue struts
Steeda bump steer kit
Power slot rotors
Spindles
Control arms with poly bushings and Moog ball joints

It's a big pile of parts..

Today I am going to pull off:
MM HD lower control arms
J&M upper control arms
Steeda clutch cable quadrant and firewall adjuster
Ford Racing aluminum drive shaft
MM pinion snubber

I have decided to sell this car as a roller so I need to get an engine hoist and pull the motor and trans. I will pull off the poly motor and trans mounts then.

Starting to look pretty bare...

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Coming along great. Nice pile of parts. How many miles does the new one have?

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
Coming along great. Nice pile of parts. How many miles does the new one have?

Thanks, it has 128,000. The best thing about this car is that it is one owner. There are no squeaks or rattles and it's very solid.

OP
OP
D

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I got a lot more done this morning. rear suspension and axle are out and pulled the axle bushings. I also removed the clutch cable and firewall adjuster.
I need to get all of the parts cleaned up and ready to install on the Cobra.

New springs

I bought these MSD coils to put on the GT but never got to it.

Looking pretty bare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Staff online

Members online