"duck tail" spoiler for our cars

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
auto_x5.0 said:
If I can get a fiberglass version of the spoiler I can make a mold right off of that and then it would jsut be the cost of the material and labor on my part. If somebody gets a free fiberglass one as like a prototype I can make a carbon fiber one and see how it fits, looks, etc and post pics. But I have no way to make a fiberglass one which is where Birel21y would come in to save the day.

I think a quality copy of the Kaenan S281 spoiler in CF would sell very well.
Does anybody have a spare Kaenan?lol

birel21y

Reaction score
Neh, i would like to start fresh and make a SS replica.. but with minor changes. It is unlawful to copy an original design, so this one has to be around 20% different than the SS

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
birel21y said:
Neh, i would like to start fresh and make a SS replica.. but with minor changes. It is unlawful to copy an original design, so this one has to be around 20% different than the SS

smart man :thumbsup:

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think using the stock GT spoiler bolt holes would be a huge advantage for selling the SS spoiler, I think that would be a must as long as it can look right doing it. A lot of people are going to want that wing and they're not going to want to fill the old holes and drill new ones to install it.

birel21y

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
I think using the stock GT spoiler bolt holes would be a huge advantage for selling the SS spoiler, I think that would be a must as long as it can look right doing it. A lot of people are going to want that wing and they're not going to want to fill the old holes and drill new ones to install it.

Its much harder to utilize the factory GT holes, but its very possible. If we dont use them, the wing would be made to cover up the factory ones. I would like to use my Saleen "T-1" wing as a base, as that uses the factory holes, then modify off that.

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
Ol' boy has a point here....is there a way to just make the drop down flush with the body and not make them bolt up? We also have to understand that we are not at FoMoCo and we cant make a whole trunklid like they did for The Super Stallion.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Covering up the stock holes isn't bad but with drilling new holes you remove the option to swap back to the stock one if desired. Making the entire trunk lid would be ideal but a spoiler that looks good and right on there will work nicely.

Also a thought, and i know this is pushing it, if you were REALLY good you could make a 94/95 Cobra version with an LED brake light in the rear of the spoiler for us less fortunate guys that need to get a new trunk lid.

Mr.Bolt-on

Reaction score
One possible spoiler that I've never seen done, is utilizing the trunk lid and building it up with fiberglass, or welding strips of metal to it to make the duck tail spoiler. I guess the uplift could be done with the quarter panels to create the preferred duck tail effect.

Has anyone thought of doing this? Of course theres always the risk of destroying your trunk lid, but you gotta start somewhere.

birel21y

Reaction score
auto_x5.0 said:
OnyxCobra said:
Ol' boy has a point here....is there a way to just make the drop down flush with the body and not make them bolt up? We also have to understand that we are not at FoMoCo and we cant make a whole trunklid like they did for The Super Stallion.

What do you mean? On the back above the license plate? That part would not bolt up. it would be adhered with double stick tape.

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
birel21y said:
auto_x5.0 said:
OnyxCobra said:

What do you mean? On the back above the license plate? That part would not bolt up. it would be adhered with double stick tape.
Yeah that's what I meant, the two "fangs"(I have no idea what to call them) that come down the trunk lid. They wouldn't need to be bolted on? Because that would take away the chance to switch back after the spoiler is installed.

birel21y

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
Covering up the stock holes isn't bad but with drilling new holes you remove the option to swap back to the stock one if desired. Making the entire trunk lid would be ideal but a spoiler that looks good and right on there will work nicely.

Also a thought, and i know this is pushing it, if you were REALLY good you could make a 94/95 Cobra version with an LED brake light in the rear of the spoiler for us less fortunate guys that need to get a new trunk lid.

we can use this: its our 60 led 3rd brake light we use for the Nissan 300ZX.

2009-11-20151241.jpg

2009-11-20151254.jpg

birel21y

Reaction score
I think a quality copy of the Kaenan S281 spoiler in CF would sell very well.
[/quote]

Its near impossible to make a mold off a urethane piece like the Kaenan. Too flexible.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
that LED bar looks mint, idk how long it is but i always thought the stock '95 Cobra one could be a little longer. the '03 cobra brake light is huge compared to mine.

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
Yeah one with the brakelight in it would be cool....just wondering, how long are we talking about here? I know that these would sale fast. Especially if they are a resonable price. I just want it to flow with the body, there are too many aftermarket spoilers that just dont look good imo. The are either too bulky, too beefy, too ricer; I would like a simple sleek spoiler.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
If they make this spoiler right that's what it'll give ya too. I'm not sure how they'll do it since the SS one looks to be part of the trunk, but idk cause i dont make body parts lol. Yeah the fangs cant be bolted, double sided tape is perfect.

auto_x5.0

Reaction score
Yeah the saleen spoiler looks good, but everybody has one. I want something different, whether it be a carbon fiber Keanan piece or a new SS design.

Orange Stang

Reaction score
what if we mod it? Have it sit flat on the deck lid, and retain the original holes plus 3m tape. Also, have it fit somewhat like the 281.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
STANGFLOYD

Members online