First Upgrade?

Discussion in '94-04 - V6 Specific' started by JeremyAlan, Apr 9, 2006.

1. JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan SN95 Supporting Member

Hello,

I know there arent many 3.8 guys out here but maybe the 4.6+ guys could help too...

What do you think should be some of the first upgrades on a V6 - maybe a CAI or 4.10's? or even a blower... or something as simple as underdrive pulleys?

Whatever you think? Lets Hear It!

//Jeremy

2. Matt94GT

Matt94GT Legend SN95 Supporter Retired Staff

Well I know on a 5.0/4.6 pulleys are allways a good choice, but gears are deffently the best bang for the buck, im not sure how a V6 would respond to 4.10s though, if ppl do it often then deff go with 4.10s to wake your car up nicely.

3. JeremyAlan

Gears would be nice... I personally was thinkin something a little more conservitive like 3.73's

Unless i have been misinformed and those come stock :)

What about CAI's?

//JEremy

4. Matt94GT

Matt94GT Legend SN95 Supporter Retired Staff

CAIs you wont notice a diffrence in power.

5. JeremyAlan

Yes they just look good dont they? 8)

My only concern with 4.10's would be gas milage and does it affect top end performance?

//Jeremy

6. Kiljosh

Kiljosh New Member

Well if your gonna go 4.10s with your car, a 94-98, you need a speedo gear to correct the mph gauge.

If you don't get the speedo gear your car will top out at around 70mph because the car thinks it's goin g faster than it really is.

I would go with 3.55 or 3.73 if your concerned about gas mileage on the highway.

7. 97GTS

97GTS Member

Don't fear the gear man...DO IT!!! :dancing6:

8. JeremyAlan

:lol: I'm not fear'in them... just savin the money for the T-lock and I'll do em both at the same time ;D

//Jeremy

9. Kiljosh

Kiljosh New Member

Wise choice, and one of my motto's!

10. thorco3

thorco3 Well-Known Member

if ur looking for more performance then gears, tlok, and an xcal2 would be a great start... i'd suggest doing all three at the same time.

oh and the rule of thumb for us sixers is pretty much... 3.73's for manual, and 4.10's for autoslowmatic
    ...i've got a couple buddy's with 4.10's in their sixers... unfortunatly I don't have them in yet...

or you could go a differnt route and upgrade your handling. A nice setup with some lowering springs, and new shocks/struts make a world of difference... not to mention the awesome look of a lowered sn95 :thumb:
    i'm running h&r super sports and tokico gas s/s... and still need to install my 4bolt mm c/c plates

and yeah about the only thing a cai will do for you is a little bling in the engine compartment and a whistle when you accelerate... another thing i would suggest is a nice dual exhaust setup if you don't already have one

i guess i'll stop there, i could go on forever with some more suggestion/my future plans ::)

11. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

swapping out the 6 for a v-8 :dunno:

12. 97six

97six Active Member

ROFL thats a heck of a mod....and price a good $15-20,000 mayb (for all the other parts needed such as the computer, transmission, rearend, engine mounts, etc.)

but im goin for the exhuast as a good first mod

13. Spyder

Spyder Active Member

I raced a guy when i had my 95 gt, he had a 99 v6 with a procharger on it and a couple supporting mods. I must say i was impressed with the sixer, he did very well. If your gonna keep the sixer, i would get some forced induction. just my $.02

14. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

best way to hang with the 8's

15. 94gtstang50

94gtstang50 Well-Known Member

Forced induction ftw. I raced a turbo six banger camaro when my car was stock and that slug hung with me pretty well, he would have eaten me if he had more boost. You can get a supercoupe blower and bolt it up. They tend to be pretty cheap too.

16. identity_Crisis

identity_Crisis New Member

i say if you gunna do a procharger ingore the CAI and UD pullys since there no good for ya once the blower is on
    get a good exaust maybe a set of long tube headers,some gears and a tlok,maybe porte the heads/upper and lower intakes,half shaft the Tb,
    and put the blower on for the small time my car ran with the blower it was retarted the car was just unpredictable

and i suppert the procharger system its a clean and easy install

17. Goindeafonmtx

Goindeafonmtx Active Member

I'll clear a couple of things up for ya:

With 4.10s, you will need a Dallas Mustang Speedcal to correct you speedometer and odometer. You can't just swap out speedo gears because the highest anyone makes is a 23 tooth and that will only correct up to 3.55s. So with that said, even 3.73s will need a Speedcal to be correct.

Now for this topping out at 70 MPH: Only the 1997 model year will top out at 75 MPH because the computer is made to think that going over 3000 RPM in fourth gear is a little fast and will cut fuel to the motor. The only way to correct this is to play with the computer with a SCT X-Calibrator (I or II). SCT is really the best on the market as it is the only product on the market that is NOT hackware. It not being hackware allows it to access many more parameters than other similiar products.

I myself have 4.10s in my sixer and I get 17-18 MPG city and the best I have ever done on the highway is 23 MPG.

18. Kiljosh

Kiljosh New Member

I was under the imnpression that the Speedcal will only work for 99-04 mustangs because they had a sensor in the tranny, not a speedo gear.

19. Goindeafonmtx

Goindeafonmtx Active Member

Well, I am living proof that it works on our tranny's also.

20. Kiljosh

Kiljosh New Member

All the proof I needed.