Guys wanna see a pretty basic and somewhat boring fox build????

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
After spending so much time doing body work, I honestly had no idea if it would turn out smooth once in primer. Shaved all the key holes and antenna hole. Man I was super happy after laying primer and seeing all that hard work come out smooth and clean.

5jsc40.jpg

savf2d.jpg

Plastic welded in a piece I took from my buddies old scrap bumper to fill the hole where the ford badge would have been

295su1i.jpg

4gqdzo.jpg

iqbl21.jpg

qsp1f5.jpg

This is all in high build primer...I'll be block sanding everything before base and clear.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Good work Tony!

Are you going to put down a guide coat before sanding? What grit are you going to sand the primer and will it be wet sanded or dry sanded?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
give the door locks and antenna areas a good feel with your eyes closed to be sure they are flat. I was surprised while buffing mine to find just the faintest ring where the antenna use to be.

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
give the door locks and antenna areas a good feel with your eyes closed to be sure they are flat. I was surprised while buffing mine to find just the faintest ring where the antenna use to be.

Yea I hear ya. Had that happen on the hatch lid key hole. I was lucky to get great lighting while spraying so I can see the primer wet and reflective...all smooth and straight

Good work Tony!

Are you going to put down a guide coat before sanding? What grit are you going to sand the primer and will it be wet sanded or dry sanded?

Thanks man. I guide coated the car a few times when sanding everything before...found some serious low spots throughout the car all over the fn place. Doors being the worse. This high build came out a tad textured/orange peelly...I'll let the orange peel be my guide. I'm going to try and dry sand using 400 gritt...if it gums up in my paper too much I'll wet sand...not opposed to either honestly

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I was under instruction from a painter that took a couple magazine covers when I did mine. He told me to do 4 heavy coats of primer and guide coat that to make sure you get all the orange peel out. He also recommended using 600 to sand the primer. Have you been putting a sealer down on top of your primer?

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
I was under instruction from a painter that took a couple magazine covers when I did mine. He told me to do 4 heavy coats of primer and guide coat that to make sure you get all the orange peel out. He also recommended using 600 to sand the primer. Have you been putting a sealer down on top of your primer?

I personally would never use 600 before base. I think that would make it way too smooth with nothing for the base to bite. I was told by a pro to use 320 lol. I chose 400...worked perfect on the other areas I painted. I only would use a sealer if the car was getting sprayed base with no primer...just to get even color under the base...I use primer no sealer.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Damn good job Tony. That thing looks real good. I’m glad to see it all coming together and getting finished up.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Oh, wanted to ask, how much orange peel did you get in the clear? I know it all wet sands out but it looks really flat in the lights you have on it.

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
Oh, wanted to ask, how much orange peel did you get in the clear? I know it all wet sands out but it looks really flat in the lights you have on it.
Pretty good amount on the spoiler. Not too much anywhere else. But yea, all of it is coming out so far.

OP
OP
Tony

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
I did something totally stupid yesterday. No patience which led me to go ahead and install the spoiler. While drawing down the nuts on the spoiler bolts from the underside of the hatch....I couldn't see that all the edges of the spoiler was pressing into the paint...which caused it to kinda squeeze out leaving impressions where you can see them. So pissed!!! Dumb ass move. So i'll be buying another quart of clear and base and reshooting the hatch.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
mine is hardly out of the garage and it already has a couple of spots i will touch up and at least one panel I would like to do over. I was happy to have about a quart of base left over that things out 3:1, just saving it till I know all the stuff I need to do over.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the setback man, this seems like the first l one you've run into since you've been so meticulous through the process.

Don't be too down on yourself though. Your level of impatient is probably comparable to me displaying my best patience. I have to redo things so many times lol

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Silver is definitely one of those colors that is EASY to be off a shade, but hopefully it all squares up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.