How to beat a 01' Z28???

OP
OP

97woodward

Reaction score
thanks for the replys. Im trying to figure out the best route to take in order to make this car a respectable daily driver. I think i would be happy if i got it around 400 rwhp. So as of right now what do you guys think would be the best route as far as parts go.

I have brand new Romeo PI Cams sitting here waiting to be installed. As well as the Livernois PI intake manifold kit. Im trying to figure out the most effective additions to the blower that will put me to around the 400hp mark. Im thinking that ill take JR's advice and wait to get my NPI heads ported because Im paying for all the labor involved. So basically it comes down to the Cams and Intake manifold. Livernois is about 15 miles away from me so it would be no problem for me to return the kit, if thats what I decide to do.

Does Trickflow or any other brand make a intake manifold that would work with NPI heads? Would I still be able to use that manifold if in the future I ported the heads or went with PI heads?

Also, as far as Cams go, I also could return my cams if it would be a better idea to get Competition Cams or Crower Cams. What would be the rwhp difference between my PI cams and the Crower Cams?

Any advice is helpful. As ive said before though, this car is strictly my daily driver, so i dont want to be making any changes that will effect that aspect. Thanks for the help!

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Bluesn95 said:
I was thinking with a good tune more like 400 at the wheels with that much psi.

Depending on bolt ons I would say 10 psi intercooled with pi intake and pi cams would be like 350-375

Nestromo

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
Imagine a 5.4 4v in a mach one, My money would be on the 5.4 4v mach beating a ls1/lt1..just saying

**Thinks back to the hurting my bolt on/gears LT1 would put on Mach 1s**

With bolt ons, gears, a tune, and ET streets 8.40s at 84 in the 1/8 out of a '94 Z28 6spd.

I know it can be done with a 4v, but most people aren't doing it. I had a 2002 WS6 back in my home town that would flat out RUN FROM ME when he would see me coming in that car. :knuppel2:

On the other hand some LT1s run like hammered shit.

And sure, if Ford made a 4v NA 5.4 it could probably hang, but they don't. And if Honda would make a 5.0 Vtec 4 banger it could probably hang too, but they don't. HP/Liter doesn't exactly win races.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nestromo said:
justinschmidt1 said:
Imagine a 5.4 4v in a mach one, My money would be on the 5.4 4v mach beating a ls1/lt1..just saying

**Thinks back to the hurting my bolt on/gears LT1 would put on Mach 1s**

With bolt ons, gears, a tune, and ET streets 8.40s at 84 in the 1/8 out of a '94 Z28 6spd.

I know it can be done with a 4v, but most people aren't doing it. I had a 2002 WS6 back in my home town that would flat out RUN FROM ME when he would see me coming in that car. :knuppel2:

On the other hand some LT1s run like hammered shit.

And sure, if Ford made a 4v NA 5.4 it could probably hang, but they don't. And if Honda would make a 5.0 Vtec 4 banger it could probably hang too, but they don't. HP/Liter doesn't exactly win races.

Im glad your talking out your ass so well today, ford has a 5.4 na 4v, its in the 2000 cobra r and makes 385 hp, 385 tq, more than the amazing ls1/lt1 right?

Your comparing your modded car to a stock mach?

why arent we comparing a stock 94 z28 to a stock mach?

Its a lot harder to make 100 hp a liter with a bigger engine than a little 2.0l, honda doesnt make 100 hp p/liter on any other larger engines.

Nestromo

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
Im glad your talking out your ass so well today, ford has a 5.4 na 4v, its in the 2000 cobra r and makes 385 hp, 385 tq, more than the amazing ls1/lt1 right?

Its a lot harder to make 100 hp a liter with a bigger engine than a little 2.0l, honda doesnt make 100 hp p/liter on any other larger engines.

Sorry I wouldn't have posted that had I read the rest of the pissing that went on first. My mistake.

That car went [email protected] bone stock on crappy tires with a 1.98 60ft so it was still out front of a lot of stock cars that should have ran harder. I've seen a whole lot of '05+ GTs running 8.80s and slower. Stock the Z usually ran in the 8.8s. That was with a paper air filter and 3.42s. As for the Cobra R, I don't really count a car that had a production run of what...250? None of us can afford that car and if we can it isn't going to be used as a drag car.

I never said the LT1s and LS1s are amazing. Quite the contrary they are maintenance whores compared to a Ford. The LS1 is a great design but when you get down to it it is an emissions motor. That is why it has a tiny bore with a long stroke to get the 346ci. Less blow by and a shitload of piston speed. Also why the LT1 shortblock with a good set of heads is safer to turn RPM with. LT1 - Great shortblock with the equivalent of GT40s on it... shitty heads. LS1 - Crappy shortblock with awesome heads.

I'm sorry you feel like I'm talking out of my ass. I wasn't trying to step on your toes, mang.

Jonathan

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nestromo said:
justinschmidt1 said:

Sorry I wouldn't have posted that had I read the rest of the pissing that went on first. My mistake.

That car went [email protected] bone stock on crappy tires with a 1.98 60ft so it was still out front of a lot of stock cars that should have ran harder. I've seen a whole lot of '05+ GTs running 8.80s and slower. Stock the Z usually ran in the 8.8s. That was with a paper air filter and 3.42s. As for the Cobra R, I don't really count a car that had a production run of what...250? None of us can afford that car and if we can it isn't going to be used as a drag car.

I never said the LT1s and LS1s are amazing. Quite the contrary they are maintenance whores compared to a Ford. The LS1 is a great design but when you get down to it it is an emissions motor. That is why it has a tiny bore with a long stroke to get the 346ci. Less blow by and a shitload of piston speed. Also why the LT1 shortblock with a good set of heads is safer to turn RPM with. LT1 - Great shortblock with the equivalent of GT40s on it... shitty heads. LS1 - Crappy shortblock with awesome heads.

I'm sorry you feel like I'm talking out of my ass. I wasn't trying to step on your toes, mang.

Jonathan
'

thats pretty impressive but could be due to your driving also.
8.64 is = to like 13.5 1/4 which is enough to beat most near stock GT's out there...but youve got to understand, mach 1s, cobras, theyre differant beasts.

My buddys got a mach with 4.30s and cat back and went 12.67 at like 108.

8.8s sounds about right for 05+ gt if theyre stock...but theyre capable of faster with better driver, any mods of course.

gears and tires is enough to put a 05+ gt low 13s, add o/r pipe,cai, and a tuner and they run 12s.

IMO mach ones/cobras are like a drivers race for any near stock lt1/ls1.

of course any little mod you do to those ls1s is like god and adds 50 hp.

Nestromo

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
thats pretty impressive but could be due to your driving also.
8.64 is = to like 13.5 1/4 which is enough to beat most near stock GT's out there...but youve got to understand, mach 1s, cobras, theyre differant beasts.

My buddys got a mach with 4.30s and cat back and went 12.67 at like 108.

IMO mach ones/cobras are like a drivers race for any near stock lt1/ls1.

of course any little mod you do to those ls1s is like god and adds 50 hp.

Oh trust me, it was getting driven to within an inch of it's life. :thumb: I wasn't worried about '99/'01 Cobras at all. I did race one automatic Mach and I shut his mouth right quick. If he had gotten some steep gears, tires, and a converters the tables would have turned on me in a bad kind of way. My buddy's '98 Cobra was easy pickins. Of course those are the old cyl heads.

In the same trim that it went 8.40s it also went a 12.9X but I can't remember the MPH and I don't want to BS. I'm thinking it was about 105. That is the first time I had ever gone to the motorplex and I left unhappy and steamed so I really couldn't enjoy the numbers much.

As for near stock GTs, 13.5 is GETTIN IT DONE for a nearly stock PI 4.6.

Now I drive a car that would be lucky to eek out a 15.0. :nonono: But it sure is purty.

As for bolt ons on an F-Body, I have never felt so damn much difference out of a cold air intake of all things, but it woke the lil LT1 up bigtime.

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
and the arguement continues

bolton lt1s- high 11s

bolton ls1s- high 10s

this is the bottom of their performance cars, dont even think about the ls7 cars and the ls9 soon to come out.

the most effective way to get power outta a 2v is through boost, every1 is bias to kits, i say go with whatever fits your budget and what you want best. id say 12-14lbs will put you around 400hp...

bluestang96

Reaction score
Bolt-on LS1's in the 10s are pretty rare. Mid to high elevens are much more common. Also just a boost number does not always equate into a certain power level. Boost only represents the restriction present in the engine. With ported heads and intake boost will obviously drop but not neccessarily power.

97woodward take advantage of your proximity to Livernois. They have a pretty good rep and you should sit down with them and tell them your goals for your car. They should be able to steer you in the right direction and also you can see approximate cost of parts and installation.

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
bluestang96 said:
Bolt-on LS1's in the 10s are pretty rare. Mid to high elevens are much more common. Also just a boost number does not always equate into a certain power level. Boost only represents the restriction present in the engine. With ported heads and intake boost will obviously drop but not neccessarily power.

97woodward take advantage of your proximity to Livernois. They have a pretty good rep and you should sit down with them and tell them your goals for your car. They should be able to steer you in the right direction and also you can see approximate cost of parts and installation.

i hope your not trying to educate me on boost :coolsmiley:...he is asking about his setup so i told him what he is gunna need to do with his setup, i know with ported heads, cams, and a better flow on the exhaust side the boost could drop significantly, however even with all that and the setup he is going for he is still looking at 12-14lbs to be where he wants to be. its good to see new guys come on here and give some good info though :thumb:. but the best info i can give is shoot for a 1/4 mile time, or just to enjoy it, horsepower sells cars, performance wins races. a npi 2v NA can go low 13s high 12s if you set it up accordingly, which is more then enough to take on said z28. and alot of boosted cars never even see 12s, hell 375-400-450 hp cars that dont break into the 12s is sad and you shouldnt want that.

moot09

Reaction score
nes said:

bolton lt1s- high 11s

bolton ls1s- high 10s

this is the bottom of their performance cars, dont even think about the ls7 cars and the ls9 soon to come out.

the most effective way to get power outta a 2v is through boost, every1 is bias to kits, i say go with whatever fits your budget and what you want best. id say 12-14lbs will put you around 400hp...
ls9= bye bye to us stangs :crying: good thing there expensive as crazy and only rich people will have them. lol

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
moot09 said:
nes said:

bolton lt1s- high 11s

bolton ls1s- high 10s

ls9= bye bye to us stangs :crying: good thing there expensive as crazy and only rich people will have them. lol

+ 1, stang shall forever run the streets though... stangs pull more bitches...

bluestang96

Reaction score
i hope your not trying to educate me on boost :coolsmiley:...he is asking about his setup so i told him what he is gunna need to do with his setup, i know with ported heads, cams, and a better flow on the exhaust side the boost could drop significantly, however even with all that and the setup he is going for he is still looking at 12-14lbs to be where he wants to be. its good to see new guys come on here and give some good info though :thumb:. but the best info i can give is shoot for a 1/4 mile time, or just to enjoy it, horsepower sells cars, performance wins races. a npi 2v NA can go low 13s high 12s if you set it up accordingly, which is more then enough to take on said z28. and alot of boosted cars never even see 12s, hell 375-400-450 hp cars that dont break into the 12s is sad and you shouldnt want that.
[/quote]

I was not trying to infer anything by statement about your knowledge on FI. Its hard to tell online what a person really knows. Hopefully no hard feelings. But i think with some good parts slecetion and a great tune he could be knocking on 380-400 rwhp with less than 14 psi. Also I agree if your not busting out 12's with 400-450 hp than something is awry in your setup.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
AaRoN said:
You should be able to take him from a dig with your 4.10's (IF, you can drive) :)
Very true but by third gear he will get reeled in quick (everything equal).
Getting a Procharger P1SC is your only chance.
"Big ugly catfish on wheels" lol! :rollinglaugh:

Keef

Reaction score
Yeah no way in hell without forced induction on a 2v. Damn Ford should of gave us 351 cubes in 96'. :nonono:

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea never understood the loss in CI when 96 hit... I thought performance was suppose to keep increaseing and fuel econ was suppose to get better like the ls1's doing 32 mpg with a 6speed :crying:

project94

Reaction score
ha ha ha man i got a 94 gt some bolt ons and a tune. my buddy has a 02 trans am with the ls1, and he pretty much has the same setup as i do. except he has a 6speed and i got a 5 speed, he has 355 gears and i got 373s. i stomped the hell out of him. he has tried 6 times and every time i just walk away from him. i think some is in the car but alot is on the driver.

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
project94 said:
ha ha ha man i got a 94 gt some bolt ons and a tune. my buddy has a 02 trans am with the ls1, and he pretty much has the same setup as i do. except he has a 6speed and i got a 5 speed, he has 355 gears and i got 373s. i stomped the hell out of him. he has tried 6 times and every time i just walk away from him. i think some is in the car but alot is on the driver.

wow you just said it right there... your buddy cant drive

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jc0528

Members online