I'm thinking about buying a Skyline

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
10K seems way to much unless he's doing an upgraded rebuild.

You can buy whole engines for cheap from japan.
JDM does cost more, but if you're buying straight from Japan or even Australia its not too bad. If you're buying from US... yeah. minus well just give up.

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
10K seems way to much unless he's doing an upgraded rebuild.

You can buy whole engines for cheap from japan.
JDM does cost more, but if you're buying straight from Japan or even Australia its not too bad. If you're buying from US... yeah. minus well just give up.

10k to much for a rb26dett? not really. all the bearings and machine work and all the internals. you can spend that kind of money on a rb25 even. i have seen it. and that's not even fully built. your looking at even more than that for anything over 550-600 reliable hp. and again that's not even getting into head/cams/turbos/.

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
also import fees from japan are pretty crazy. everything seems pretty cheap until you land it here. from what looks like $5000 end's up being $9-10000

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Where are you getting these numbers lol.
All seem way too high.

Is this guy getting someone else to build his engines?
A quick Google search turns up a bunch of drop in engines for much much less than 10k.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
It seems that you add an average of $5,000 USD on top of the vehicle price if you plan to import one to the USA. If I purchase one stateside, the price ranges from 6,000-15000 for R32 GTS-T and R32 GTS-4 models and 17000-25000+ for R32 GT-R's. These prices were much higher last year but seem to have "settled down" some.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
All seem way too high.

A quick Google search turns up a bunch of drop in engines for much much less than 10k.

uhm, search "built RB26DETT" and prepare for amazement!

01F50D92-D2D7-43D0-9E70-4B4475F9E98D_zps78epboj7.png

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
All seem way too high.

drop in engines? you mean miled out engines that have been pulled from scrap yards similiar to us pulling a old explorer motor. still neeeds a full rebuild. you call a shop around town. tell them you have a worn out rb26dett. and you want it rebuilt. you will get a $10,000 bill,this after you buy all the parts yourself tear it down and have a shop reassemble the rest, wich is wise decission on bossted high revving straight six.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Since when are we talking about built engines? If that's what he's paying 10k for... then yes. If it's just a stock engine you can find decent low mileage ones for not a ton of money.

Also if you're getting someone else to build it for you then yes you're going to get raped.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Don't wanna go that route, LOL!! I'd rather spend more up front for a low- mile R32 GTR to blast around in with modest bolt-ons than build a $30k, 600hp engine for a finicky, garage queen.

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
Since when are we talking about built engines? If that's what he's paying 10k for... then yes. If it's just a stock engine you can find decent low mileage ones for not a ton of money.

Also if you're getting someone else to build it for you then yes you're going to get raped.

that 10k bottom end had a stock crank. kinda hard to remanufacture a stock block yourself. just the rods and pistons were upgraded.

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
Don't wanna go that route, LOL!! I'd rather spend more up front for a low- mile R32 GTR to blast around in with modest bolt-ons than build a $30k, 600hp engine for a finicky, garage queen.

just remember that 100,000 km jdm is like 200,000 miles us. 25,000km jdm-50,000 miles us. there cars just wear differently where and how they drive them. bodies are always mint though!

Witzy0070

Reaction score
I don't know much about these cars, what's the appeal, they seem really expensive for an older car? Anything in particular or is it the rarity factor? Personally shifting with my left hand seems really hard when going fast...

Maybe switch jerk off hands or work for USPS...

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
well if you take a look at the map from a big view you can see that usa/canada is quite a bit bigger than japan. our little baby highways are longer than there longest bla bla i don't actually know but one thing is for sure! we rack alot more miles. sure they have the autobaun (spelling?) but how often would you be on it if you lived in japan? about as often as i drive to the states. 0. ( exageration) however. there roads being flat as hell and no salt on the roads make there cars mint. watch a video of japanese traffic. it looks like everyone waxed there cars for a photo shoot. even little ol japanese grandma.

So i guess to answer your question better would be to say that jdm cars spend alot more time in 1st or 2nd as apposed to 5th and 6th. alot more run time but 1/2 the kms.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I don't know much about these cars, what's the appeal, they seem really expensive for an older car? Anything in particular or is it the rarity factor?

1) Previous unobtanium status
2) Vowed to own one someday ever since playing Gran Turismo in the 90's
3) I can afford it

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
well if you take a look at the map from a big view you can see that usa/canada is quite a bit bigger than japan. our little baby highways are longer than there longest bla bla i don't actually know but one thing is for sure! we rack alot more miles. sure they have the autobaun (spelling?) but how often would you be on it if you lived in japan? about as often as i drive to the states. 0. ( exageration) however. there roads being flat as hell and no salt on the roads make there cars mint. watch a video of japanese traffic. it looks like everyone waxed there cars for a photo shoot. even little ol japanese grandma.

So i guess to answer your question better would be to say that jdm cars spend alot more time in 1st or 2nd as apposed to 5th and 6th. alot more run time but 1/2 the kms.

Makes sense!

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
a couple good examples. My 1990 rhd 300zx twin turbo had 108,000 kms on it. it was on it's second engine (out of a u.s. car) and second transmission when i got it. the engine was great but transmission not so much.(jdm tranny).

a friend of mine who loved my car decided to buy one as well. pretty sweet. he got a 1991 rhd 300zx twin turbo with 49,000 kms on it. paid $4500 for it. why? owner knew about the km difference between jdm and usdm cars. this car was bloddy mint. i mean showroom. but! smoked a little bitt. clunky shifting. etc. still a awsome car. suspension/body/drivetrain. but you see the pattern here.
my friend. the one with a $10,000 bottom end. his skyline has just over 200,000. second engine/tranny. everything shot to hell when he got it.

now obviously there are all different scenarios and everyone treats there cars different and anything can happen etc. so this rule isn't always so true but it's deffenitly a pretty good rule of thumb and any real jdm enthusiast will say the same.

kinda make sense when usdm rz supra tt with six speed is like a 30.000 thousand dollar car and a jdm 5spd supra is like 10,000 if that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online