Input on My Build Thinking So Far ? Thanks

Mustanger

Reaction score
I want to keep a clear set of goals in mind so I thought I'd put my thinking & plans down for your inputs . I will accomplish most of this ( if the Good Lord allows)...it is fun to plan & learn. I don't want or need a super fast car just a FUN one! I prefer low end torque with maybe less power at the top end, I gotta have driveability & ease of maintenance.. (there are no local tuners or dynos here for 94-95 models!) I want great handling in the curves & a confidence inspiring higher speed manners.

Here is my list...Thanks!

1994 Gt Coupe 5.0 Stock, 5spd.
Goals:

1. Just a fun weekend street car to enjoy & to show, take wife out to dinner.

2. Want low 13's to Mid 12's Priority on streetability driving manners & not finicky tuning/driving issues. Want bias to Low End Torque!

3. Want great road handling in the curves. Presently running Eibach Prokit Plus suspension, MM subframes & adjust. LCA'S, Baer Decelarotors & PBR Bullitt/Cobra brakes, SS lines, (Future Koni Sport Yellow Struts/Shocks)

4. Would possibly add Kenne Bell Blower if funds ever allowed. ( Most likely will just stay a daydream)

5. Possible complete Air Ride $2500 system if funds allow (doable I think) to give height adjustability with Roush Bodykit (Comments? )

Engine Mods: Fresh 306 Bore... Stock Block (331 crate engine?...CHP?)

1. AFR 165 Renegade Heads, Stud Mount, Emissions Legal,

2. Cam Two: Comp Cams Xtreme Energy OE Roller 35-514-8
(Part Number CCA-35-514-8)
Advertised Duration: 266 degrees intake, 274 degrees exhaust
Duration at .050: 216 degrees intake/224 degrees exhaust
Valve Lift (with 1.6 rocker): .545 inches intake/.555 inches exhaust
Lobe Separation: 112 degrees
Powerband: 1,600-5,600 rpm

3. 1.6 Ford Racing Roller Rockers

4. Forged Pistons & Rods

5. Ford Racing new 65mm Throttle Body (found new OEM for great price! Do I REALLY need any bigger for my goals?)

6. Lightning Mass Air for 24# Ford Racing injectors (or Pro M?) or?

7. Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator (Kirban?)
8. Supporting Fuel Pump (size, brand?)

9. 95 Cobra intake (T.Moss ported?) Don't want to sacrifice low end Torque!

10.SCT Chip for tuning

11. Dyno tuned ( Where in Oregon? or Northern Calif?)

12. 3:55 gears

13. I have a MagnaPack Catback with stock cats & stock headers presently...will consider Hi Flow cat system but don't really want to mess with headers. Want to stay smog legal But I may swap offroad mid pipe for parades & shows,,,hehe.

What do you think?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Sound like a well thought out plan! You will easily be in the mid/low-12's with the list you've drawn up. You may have better results with a custom cam made to your engine specs. Also, if you have trouble locating tuners, you can always go with a Megasquirt3 system. [MENTION=11136]mikey94gt[/MENTION] can tell you all about the ms3

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Reaction score
Thanks White95...I will look into Megasquirt for sure, I really don't know anything about them but thought SCT was more well known?? I'll see.

Another thought was is there any benefit going to the 95 Cobra computer?

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Now, im not trying to get you to buy anything, just trying to relay some (Long winded) information in the hopes that you use it to make an educated decision. I am not associated with MS3 or the people that make it, Nor FOrd, Holley, etc.... Im just a hotrodder with a quest for knowledge. If I can help others out in my quest, then so be it!! Im always happy to help a fellow enthusiast... and hopefully save some $$ in the process.

Ive been there, done that... so to speak, so please use my experiences to learn from.... I learned all this over the course of 10 years, chasing the ultimate driveablilty, and ended up using an aftermarket ecu. I run the Holley HP efi, but the MS3 now has most of the features Holley does. And, being a perfectionist, along with an electronics technician and a Mechanical Engineering student, I started doing experiments with my car's ECU and programming... heres my results.

heres my take on the MS3 vs stock computers....

The factory computer does one thing well.... controls a stock, or fairly stock engine pretty well. the 94-95 computers, even the Cobra ECU, work okay at best. they are a bastard child of Ford ECU programming, combining operational theory from both the Fox body era (89-93), and the OBD2 Era (96+). do they work? sure! can you get it to work well with a chip? yeah, it works ok. I tuned my ECU 3 different ways(Anderson PMS, Moates QH, and Diablosport chip) and ultimately converted to a foxbody computer because of major issues, like idle control, part throttle surging and other problems, even after a professional tune.
I was making over 500hp at the tires when these problems really started kicking in... it was somewhat apparent at 3-400hp levels. (Ive had everything from a warmed over 5.0 to a radical, supercharged 306 with a huge cam in the car, soon to have turbo monster engine). the fuel/spark maps are fairly small, almost too small to control something much more powerful than stock, the resolution isnt there, which is key for ultimate driveability. Yeah, it will work for street.. sorta. yeah, it performs well on the track... sorta. its a compromise tho.... and thats where the problem lies.

The MS3 in a nutshell....

Control any engine from 1-12 cylinders.... self tuning... run ANY ignition you can think up (LS1 coils with your current cam/crank sensors? sure!) can run high impedance or low impedance injectors, and can run up to 16 of them in either bank to bank or sequential, gets rid of the problematic mass air flow sensor in Fords, progressive boost control, Meth injection control, rev limiter (fuel or spark), can do a version of traction control, HUGE spark/fuel maps (2-3x stock ecu)... need I keep going?

THe best part is, its about the same price as tricking out your stock ECU, and you can use your stock wiring too, which along with the self tuning option, pretty much eliminates the need for a tuner when its all set up and running. it can use all your stock sensors, but you throw out the MAF, so its fairly cheap. the price total was around $600 if you dont need transmission control.

THe cons.... you need to know some about EFI, wiring and electronics, but google can definitely help there. plus, there's a forum dedicated to the MS systems. That, and if you save even more $$ and just buy the kit for the ECU, it can be challenging to put together.

http://www.diyautotune.com/

OP
OP
Mustanger

Mustanger

Reaction score
Wow...never knew that existed Mikey! Sounds like a dream answer & I am certainly open to all ideas. Price is certainly good. Thanks for the link.. now off to get educated..

mikey94gt

Reaction score
Youre welcome!!! and if thats your car in the sig.. I dig it!!!

Feel free to shoot me PM's with questions, im always happy to help!! and if I dont know the answer, I can find the guy that does know it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online