Lowering Spring / Shock Install

redriderjf87

Reaction score
Ok, so long story short my suspension installation attempt ended after a several attempts/hours of not being able to get my rear LCA bolts/nuts out lol (among a number of other situational issues). So I'm getting ready to bend over and have an supsension shop put in the springs/shocks/struts/lca's/balljoints/bumpsteer/cc plates and have them or someone else do the alignment. I'll be getting a few estimates hopefully this week, does anybody have an idea how long of an install it should generally be for a shop, or a ballpark cost? I did try some searching, I didn't quite find the info I was looking for. Thanks

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Ok, so long story short my suspension installation attempt ended after a several attempts/hours of not being able to get my rear LCA bolts/nuts out lol (among a number of other situational issues). So I'm getting ready to bend over and have an supsension shop put in the springs/shocks/struts/lca's/balljoints/bumpsteer/cc plates and have them or someone else do the alignment. I'll be getting a few estimates hopefully this week, does anybody have an idea how long of an install it should generally be for a shop, or a ballpark cost? I did try some searching, I didn't quite find the info I was looking for. Thanks

I can say it won't be cheap thats for sure. I'd estimate atleast 300 bones. Time wise? not too sure

OP
OP
redriderjf87

redriderjf87

Reaction score
Thanks, good to know. I was bracing myself for a lot more than $300 for everything, something around that would definitely be worth the PITA factor for me, and other tools I may have had to buy to get those bleeping LCA bolts out.

TanTop94

Reaction score
I think its gonna be more than 300..given I dont use a "shop" I have some friends with the right tools and know how to get anything done that I cant. LCA bolts, are you putting in new ones? Otherwise you dont need to take these off for springs if you are then get a breaker bar. The trick to struts is just getting that top nut off, you could take it to a shop just to have them brake it loose and youll be fine with a wrench and pry bar/ large screw driver to get it off the rest of the way. CC plates are easy, springs kinda follow with them..shocks are easy just one bolt and one nut and a few rubber pieces lol. The only thing I can see having a problem with is the balljoints for sure, and Im not sure about the bumpsteer kit, havent done one of those yet.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds like alot of labor to me. Shops are expensive these days. Labor is usually anywhere from around $75-125/ hr.
A shop will probably estimate about 4-8 hours of labor for all those parts installed.

So a ballpark should be around $500-800 average.

Are you on any local mustang forums? I'm sure there's guys in your area who will be more than willing to help you out on something like this for next to nothing.
My local mustang club will do a complete suspension overhaul for like $200.

OP
OP
redriderjf87

redriderjf87

Reaction score
I think its gonna be more than 300..given I dont use a "shop" I have some friends with the right tools and know how to get anything done that I cant. LCA bolts, are you putting in new ones? Otherwise you dont need to take these off for springs if you are then get a breaker bar. The trick to struts is just getting that top nut off, you could take it to a shop just to have them brake it loose and youll be fine with a wrench and pry bar/ large screw driver to get it off the rest of the way. CC plates are easy, springs kinda follow with them..shocks are easy just one bolt and one nut and a few rubber pieces lol. The only thing I can see having a problem with is the balljoints for sure, and Im not sure about the bumpsteer kit, havent done one of those yet.

Ok gotcha. I need to use a "shop" at least for some of this, as I don't have any friends that have the right tools. Hopefully I'll have a garage by next winter but right now I was trying to use my parents' garage 45 min away and I need to get the car out. Also, yes I'm putting in new LCA's. I tried getting some leverage on the bolt/nut but the bolt just spins in the bushing, apparently rusted to the sleeve or something. We beat the living crap out of it but it will not come out, and that was just 1 of the 4 bolts. I feel like could probably do the springs and shocks all right, but I need to get the LCA off anyways.

That sounds like alot of labor to me. Shops are expensive these days. Labor is usually anywhere from around $75-125/ hr.
A shop will probably estimate about 4-8 hours of labor for all those parts installed.

So a ballpark should be around $500-800 average.

Are you on any local mustang forums? I'm sure there's guys in your area who will be more than willing to help you out on something like this for next to nothing.
My local mustang club will do a complete suspension overhaul for like $200.

I don't know of any local Mustang-specific forums for my area, I'll have to look.

TanTop94

Reaction score
While I know it sucks to go and do things twice, you can do the shocks, struts, springs, cc plates, and possibly the bump steer kit. If you just need the LCAs done cause of that bolt Id say you would have to pay alot less. If you find a half decent shop to do them have them do your alignment also.

OP
OP
redriderjf87

redriderjf87

Reaction score
While I know it sucks to go and do things twice, you can do the shocks, struts, springs, cc plates, and possibly the bump steer kit. If you just need the LCAs done cause of that bolt Id say you would have to pay alot less. If you find a half decent shop to do them have them do your alignment also.

That's a good point, I may go that direction and then figure out a place to do the rest of it or wait for warmer weather. Thanks

TanTop94

Reaction score
Youre not kidding lol I think I really need to move somewhere where its warm for every season.

OP
OP
redriderjf87

redriderjf87

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this but I had an update and another question. I was able to finally to get it in to have the lca's swapped, apparently the bolts were seized even worse than I thought and even the guy had a lot of trouble getting them out. Anyways between that and having to apparently take the parking brake apart, it was about a 5 hour install (luckily he cut me a good deal for the time involved). I was surprised he had to mess with the parking brake as I know that's a big pain in the butt and don't remember reading that from researching it. Anybody else have to do that from doing lca's? Thanks

TanTop94

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this but I had an update and another question. I was able to finally to get it in to have the lca's swapped, apparently the bolts were seized even worse than I thought and even the guy had a lot of trouble getting them out. Anyways between that and having to apparently take the parking brake apart, it was about a 5 hour install (luckily he cut me a good deal for the time involved). I was surprised he had to mess with the parking brake as I know that's a big pain in the butt and don't remember reading that from researching it. Anybody else have to do that from doing lca's? Thanks

What Im guessing is that he just had to unhook it from the rear caliper..which really isnt that big of a deal. Dont see why he would have to go any further than that. For that you just let the ebrake down, take an allen key and the e brake setup has a spot you can throw it in to either pull it out or put the ebrake wire back in. I had to do this when I replaced my bros rear calipers.

OP
OP
redriderjf87

redriderjf87

Reaction score
What Im guessing is that he just had to unhook it from the rear caliper..which really isnt that big of a deal. Dont see why he would have to go any further than that. For that you just let the ebrake down, take an allen key and the e brake setup has a spot you can throw it in to either pull it out or put the ebrake wire back in. I had to do this when I replaced my bros rear calipers.

Interesting, I can't remember but I wish would've been on here when I had to attempt putting my parking brake (spring mainly) back together. That thing makes me cringe when I hear the words parking brake, although I think I know how to deal with compressing it now.

Otherwise, I'm not sure exactly what all he had to take apart, I mainly remember brakes and parking brake. I'm just glad that part's done and I can finally start getting these springs on :smiley:

TanTop94

Reaction score
Interesting, I can't remember but I wish would've been on here when I had to attempt putting my parking brake (spring mainly) back together. That thing makes me cringe when I hear the words parking brake, although I think I know how to deal with compressing it now.

Otherwise, I'm not sure exactly what all he had to take apart, I mainly remember brakes and parking brake. I'm just glad that part's done and I can finally start getting these springs on :smiley:

Yeah I guess so lol as long as they are on and everything is buttoned up nicely. mmm dat stance is coming!

OP
OP
redriderjf87

redriderjf87

Reaction score
Yep can't wait, I only wish I could transfer that lost ground clearance to the little Mazda and manly it up a bit. That will probably be a later project when there's a garage built. Anyways more updates and/or pics to come shortly hopefully, thanks

OP
OP
redriderjf87

redriderjf87

Reaction score
Well, the rear is done with no major issues, except that the ride height in the back is exactly the same as before, both spring pigtails facing driver's side and both sides even at 3" clearance. I do have new poly isolators on the top and bottom, so my searching tells me I may need to change back to rubber in some form (I've read rubber electrician's tape, anyone else try that?). However the front is the bigger issue so I guess I'll finish that first and then go back to the back.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you want to/are doing the work yourself there are people here that can help you with anything you may be unsure of, and it would save you a ton of money not taking it to a shop. what do you have left? any questions?

OP
OP
redriderjf87

redriderjf87

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah for sure, I just did get through the back myself (other than LCA) but will have to wait until next weekend to start the front. I've read through the write-ups from AM a few times on doing the front, I believe I've got the basics now. I'm sure I'll have questions/updates next weekend though..

Btw, I just saw you're from Rochester, that's crazy I've got a few friends from there and Auburn NY nearby. Flew up there to visit last year, really nice area there and at the Finger Lakes. Thanks again for the help.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Gotcha. I think the front is more straight forward than the rear, if you don't fully release the rear axle (hanging from upper arms) it can be hard to get the control arms and crap to line up. Any questions i'm sure we can help you out.

That's cool, this area can be very nice when it's not raining or stupid humid outside. we usually get a couple months of nice weather each year lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txcoqi

Members online