LS SWAP cheaper than 408 Windsor

mrsn95guy

Reaction score
Cross roads here, converting my 95 GT to more of a street strip car.

Looking at ls based (I know mustang community but power is power)
408w roller production build
302 based dart build as I already have a phenomenal hot side by B&G.

I'm looking at bang for buck all options on the table. This build will be a auto to really send it at the track or in mexico.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cross roads here, converting my 95 GT to more of a street strip car.

Looking at ls based (I know mustang community but power is power)
408w roller production build
302 based dart build as I already have a phenomenal hot side by B&G.

I'm looking at bang for buck all options on the table. This build will be a auto to really send it at the track or in mexico.

You can build a 408w for cheap and make great power. Bolts in with no issues or changes needed.

The dart based short blocks can handle massive amounts of power and if you already have the b&g hot side then your already ahead of the game.

LS means swapping more stuff around and isn’t worth the money. It’s not as cheap as a lot of people wanna make it sound like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mrsn95guy

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards dart block hard and needing excuses to market it to the wife. What's killing me though is on ford strokers.com the 351 dart is 100 more and my inner value meter is pegged but that would require modifications to hot side I believe.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards dart block hard and needing excuses to market it to the wife. What's killing me though is on ford strokers.com the 351 dart is 100 more and my inner value meter is pegged but that would require modifications to hot side I believe.

When I start working on my stang again I’ll be having to modify my b&g hotside as well. It’s either 1 or 3 cuts and welding in small sections of cold steel to extend. You gotta remember, only difference is the height of the deck which spaces out the heads. So the manifolds will bolt right on and should be fine. The crossover pipe will for sure need extended to cover the new width. There’s a small chance you may need to extend the crossover down a little bit to clear the crank if it’s too close from the heads being higher.

But if you can cut and weld then it will be very easy to modify.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If cost is an issue when dealing with the wife then consider this. Plenty of people make 600-800+ hp on the later 351w blocks which are already roller cam ready. You can find them cheap all day out of later f150’s up through 96.

Plenty of people have made well over 1,000+ up on the early 70’s high nickel blocks which can also be found for very cheap. They’re not roller ready but can be easily made to work with small circle roller cams.

joe65

Reaction score
You can build a 408w for cheap and make great power. Bolts in with no issues or changes needed.

The dart based short blocks can handle massive amounts of power and if you already have the b&g hot side then your already ahead of the game.

LS means swapping more stuff around and isn’t worth the money. It’s not as cheap as a lot of people wanna make it sound like.

I get the idea of LS swaps for power, but like Evil says, is it really that cheap? Especially if you want all the stuff on the dash and under the hood to work correctly (like stock)?

OP
OP
M

mrsn95guy

Reaction score
See I have the 351 roller block now, no internals I was thinking of that but I just feel like no matter how I try and save money eventually I'll want/need a dart and might as well just enjoy what I got.
Side question hypothetically i get a 302 based dart and bore it safely to a max. Obviously cubes become the reason for no more power gains; so what's the most a 302 based motor could make?
Is 351 based motor just over kill for a street strip guy like myself?
Is a dart based 302 stock deck height?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You know the old adage still rings true;

You only get to chose two:

cheap, fast and reliable

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
See I have the 351 roller block now, no internals I was thinking of that but I just feel like no matter how I try and save money eventually I'll want/need a dart and might as well just enjoy what I got.
Side question hypothetically i get a 302 based dart and bore it safely to a max. Obviously cubes become the reason for no more power gains; so what's the most a 302 based motor could make?
Is 351 based motor just over kill for a street strip guy like myself?
Is a dart based 302 stock deck height?

I have a 351w block that is going to be a turbo’d 418w. I plan on making a streetable 800+ at the rears. When I get the itch to build more I’ll then switch all the internals and heads and such to a dart block and turn the boost up. Do it in stages and spend when you need to.

302 factory block is known to split at 500+. Dart blocks can handle more than double that. But the tall deck like you have now in a dart version can handle crazier amounts cause there’s more meat to the block and way more cubes.

As far as overkill, turbo means you can turn boost down easily from your seat if you use an electronic controller. So you can run on minimal pressure and it’s perfectly drivable on the street. Then when you want more power hot the button and turn the boost back up.

OP
OP
M

mrsn95guy

Reaction score
See I didnt even think of purchasing forged internals and then getting a raw block and going from production block to dart. That's exactly what I'm going to do because right now my gt40 heads and intake with a f cam is pretty stout and knocks the tires off now.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Better build it big to compete! Todays cars are crazy fast and they are everywhere!

Or just surrender and build the car nice, keeping costs affordable and enjoy the ride!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
@mrsn95guy

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ent...ll-a-junkyard-ford-351-windsor-v8/ar-BB13h33R

I’ve seen this article a few times before. I also know a couple people who have tried similar. We have a member who will show up at random times who has boosted a stock 351w block for years with great luck.

I’m not saying do what this article ended up doing and just maxing the boost all at once but it shows the capabilities of a really old truck 351w with a little work. Another reason I love these motors.

Reaction score

Depends on your skill level and your ability to source parts. It doesn’t have to be as expensive as a lot of people make it sound.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Cool someone revived this thread as I’ve been debating doing a 351w based engine next or a dart block 302 based

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Canaryonvskf’s

Members online