Megasquirt SN95 with MS3 MS3X

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Again, I'm not a fan of MS for many reasons some of which you guys are facing now but I hope you guys help one another and see this thing thru to the end.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Again, I'm not a fan of MS for many reasons some of which you guys are facing now but I hope you guys help one another and see this thing thru to the end.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

We we definitely have to see it through to the end! In all reality though, the only real problem is the one I have and that is me not getting a rpm signal through the computer. I don't necessarily think it's a megasquirt problem, it could happen with any stand alone I would have chosen.

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
So far 5.5 psi at 3600 a few weeks ago and a few days ago went to 10.6psi at 5300. Not sure what final boost will be as I will be maxing out D1 when I hit 6800rpm. One thing is for sure, I need to install my Brembo Brakes as I feel like the brakes are not stopping very well.

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
Not much seat time but I managed to get a Kindle FIRE HD7 8gb for $69 at Office Depot as it looks like all their Kindles are on Clearance including HDX if you can find one, good time to get one. I went ahead and got a Bluetooth device and Shadow dash from EFI ANA. I had to fabricate a short extension cable since ports are right against back of glove box. For now it's going to be in front of radio then later on I do have option in dash. I

Had to cut the connector in half.

8205E6C1-C3FE-45F5-9A7A-6A516AA2AB2E_zpskgkltr9z.jpg

Here you can see right angle sub and serial cables.

FC912539-FB6E-44D0-A0DD-157A283B34C3_zpsn992cozk.jpg

E1394F9E-EBC2-46F1-B08A-782E93BF74C6_zpswk9ntrcm.jpg

Could be dash mounted.

37612AB7-8167-4B2E-95DB-D47870AE3FDA_zpssu7geedc.jpg

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dash mounted f1 look for the win!!!!!! $-)

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Now that's good stuff venom! I think a custom molded piece to replace the gauge cluster would be awesome.

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
Finally made a bracket and made gauges that match my current setup.

IMG_0098_zpszruq506o.jpg

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
I got GPS! So far I have been able to connect to it using the laptop and tablet via Bluetooth. Don't know if it works since have yet to drive around with it.

4EAA0707-1A1C-4792-B138-8C296EB83DA0_zpsacfxe4yt.jpg

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
Here is layout for the daytime. Also not I got a different mount that does not block whats behind it. It is shaped like a U made by Pad Holdr.

07D0D6C5-1C83-44F3-9289-0F662B70ED44_zpsxc80lpjx.jpg

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Hey [MENTION=9290]venom[/MENTION], I am back and asking questions again. Could by chance see your idle settings? That is, if its not too much trouble. Are you running open loop or closed loop idle?

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
Been busy with home remodeling. I will get that info for you by tomorrow.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Been busy with home remodeling. I will get that info for you by tomorrow.

Thanks man. Its not big rush, so please dont stress yourself for time just because of me. Just if you happen to have some spare time I greatly appreciate it.

OP
OP
V

venom

Reaction score
I have it set to none which is disabled. I did try once to mess with it once and had it closed loop. I am probably going to enable it to see how car responds to it now.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I have it set to none which is disabled. I did try once to mess with it once and had it closed loop. I am probably going to enable it to see how car responds to it now.

You have yours set to run with no idle valve?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
So im really debating (actually already made up my mind) on doing this to my 99. Question is, should i go with the MS3 or the MS3pro? I believe the only real difference is the ecu housing, etc. but is ms3 really nearly $1k cheaper? I'd like to keep much of the stock functions (especially gauges, which means piggybacking off the factory ecu) so im not really sure if the pro is worth the extra cash.

I like the "sleeper" appearance also, so integrating into the factory harness (slimed down of course)' would be nice as well.

Any comments/suggestions from you guys who have done it?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
So im really debating (actually already made up my mind) on doing this to my 99. Question is, should i go with the MS3 or the MS3pro? I believe the only real difference is the ecu housing, etc. but is ms3 really nearly $1k cheaper? I'd like to keep much of the stock functions (especially gauges, which means piggybacking off the factory ecu) so im not really sure if the pro is worth the extra cash.

I like the "sleeper" appearance also, so integrating into the factory harness (slimed down of course)' would be nice as well.

Any comments/suggestions from you guys who have done it?

I havent looked into the ms3pro a whole lot, but it looks like it supports a little more right out of the box. It comes ready to do 12 cylinder sequential fuel and spark along with individual cylinder tuning which is pretty cool. Also supports 4 cam vvt and a whole boatload of other neat stuff. If you are staying with the 3v and not using variable cam timing, I would go with the MS3X. It has all the functions youll need to go with full sequential if you wanted and has an on board map sensor thats good for 22psi. You can also swap the map sensor out for a higher bar sensor to support more boost.

I know your stock ecu has to be in place to run the gauges but Im not quite sure how to make that happen with the newer stuff. I know youve got a module in the dash that gets its inputs from the ecu and then runs the cluster so its a little more involved that an old setup like mine.

What coils are you thinking about using? If you use Ford COP's then youll have to get 2 spark boxes and wire them in line with the coils. Reason being, the stock coils need a transistor to drive them and thats what the spark box is. If you were going to use something like LS2 coils then they wire right up to the ecu. The ecu supplies a logic ground to trigger them and they have overdwell protection. Meaning if you keep the coil charged too long it will spark on its own to keep from burning up. Also, the LS2 coils have pretty much the strongest spark you can get.

If you havent looked already, DIYAutoTune is where we got our kits. Their website has a lot of good information.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
I havent looked into the ms3pro a whole lot, but it looks like it supports a little more right out of the box. It comes ready to do 12 cylinder sequential fuel and spark along with individual cylinder tuning which is pretty cool. Also supports 4 cam vvt and a whole boatload of other neat stuff. If you are staying with the 3v and not using variable cam timing, I would go with the MS3X. It has all the functions youll need to go with full sequential if you wanted and has an on board map sensor thats good for 22psi. You can also swap the map sensor out for a higher bar sensor to support more boost.

I know your stock ecu has to be in place to run the gauges but Im not quite sure how to make that happen with the newer stuff. I know youve got a module in the dash that gets its inputs from the ecu and then runs the cluster so its a little more involved that an old setup like mine.

What coils are you thinking about using? If you use Ford COP's then youll have to get 2 spark boxes and wire them in line with the coils. Reason being, the stock coils need a transistor to drive them and thats what the spark box is. If you were going to use something like LS2 coils then they wire right up to the ecu. The ecu supplies a logic ground to trigger them and they have overdwell protection. Meaning if you keep the coil charged too long it will spark on its own to keep from burning up. Also, the LS2 coils have pretty much the strongest spark you can get.

If you havent looked already, DIYAutoTune is where we got our kits. Their website has a lot of good information.

thats pretty much what i was thinking. Ill probably go with factory coils for now, but LS coils are on the list when the motor build and turbo setup starts going.

Factory gauges are the biggest headache, ill likely just have a Pats deleted tune done and piggyback the megasquirt off some of the factory wiring harness. Either that, or just hold off withthe MS3X/pro and eventually do a painless wiring prostreet harness and eliminate nearly all of the factory wiring.

To many decisions.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
thats pretty much what i was thinking. Ill probably go with factory coils for now, but LS coils are on the list when the motor build and turbo setup starts going.

Factory gauges are the biggest headache, ill likely just have a Pats deleted tune done and piggyback the megasquirt off some of the factory wiring harness. Either that, or just hold off withthe MS3X/pro and eventually do a painless wiring prostreet harness and eliminate nearly all of the factory wiring.

To many decisions.

I built my own wiring. Get a 4 gang relay box to take place of the ccrm and build your own engine wiring harness. The harness that you get with the megasquirt is laid out great and all the wires are labeled. Im curious how the gauges will work if the stock ecu isnt running all the engine parameters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.