My engine rebuild thread!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Wmac,
Not sure just yet. I’m not even sure if they’ve started on it yet as I was about fourth or fifth in line in the engine rebuild queue. FTK sends all their Ford rebuilds to this shop. I’m going to request a full breakdown of the internals, the cam and the heads upon delivery. I look forward to passing that information along to this thread.

Didyou want to know sooner because maybe you’re building same? If so, I could probably call and bend his ear.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Because I don’t understand what it all means! Lift, lobe, duration, intake/exhaust ports and cc sizes. I leave that to the professionals. I had a handful of conversations with both FTK and the engine builder, described what I was looking for performance wise AND the parameters of having A/C and passing smog. A few more back and forth conversations where I got options... and I decided: 347 instead of the 331 because I’m not a 7-8,000 rpm guy and in my driving style I prefer the torque of the 347. So, after a few options, I decided on a 347 via the Scat rotating assembly + AFR 180cc heads (yes, CARB legal) and Comp Cam (I forget the part # he told me).
www.lnrengine.com
www.fullthrottlekustomz.com

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can completely understand that as I am in the same boat as its all greek to me. With that being said I still would have had a list of the parts they were wanting to use to if nothing else check on here with what the guys that do know would say about it, if not just to be sure that they didn't decide to change to something for some reason. Was there a hp mark that was agreed upon that it would make at least?

Last edited:

Wmac

Reaction score
Daryl: I was just curious. No other reason. You are the customer and paying the bill. (and this is your build thread)

Make sure to get all the "old" parts back. Insist on this now.

The 3 bar GT40 heads are worth some $.
As are the 1.7 rockers, cobra intake, cobra valve covers if not reused.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Daryl: I was just curious. No other reason. You are the customer and paying the bill. (and this is your build thread)

Make sure to get all the "old" parts back. Insist on this now.

The 3 bar GT40 heads are worth some $.
As are the 1.7 rockers, cobra intake, cobra valve covers if not reused.
Not a problem, Wmac! It’s completely fine. Interestingly, I had the exact same thoughts about the old parts and I’m glad you mentioned it because it confirms my notion. I couldn’t bear the thought of those parts being tossed, set aside to rust forever in some corn of a shop, or be sold by the shop and make money on my parts! I’m comfortable admitting my shortcomings. I wish I knew more about building an engine. I’d love to have it on a stand in my garage and rework it from the bottom end up.
I can completely understand that as I am in the same boat as its all greek to me. With that being said I still would have had a list of the parts they were wanting to use to if nothing else check on here with what the guys that do know would say about it, if not just to be sure that they didn't decide to change to something for some reason. Was there a hp mark that was agreed upon that it would make at least?
ttocs,
Yes. The last conversation I had with the engine builder he quoted roughly 380hp.

Last edited:

Wmac

Reaction score
There is a GT owner out there that would grab any or all of those parts in a heartbeat. And he just may live close by.

Some cash for the beer fund? lol

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Or, to help offset some of the cost of the rebuild! OMG!!!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
1/6/21: took advice of a fellow member here and called the engine builder to confirm he’s returning ALL the goodies being replaced. He is. Always dies unless customer says otherwise.

1/16/21: not engine related so off-topic, but I managed to R&R the passenger side rear upper control arm bushing. I installed a replacement control arm that came with the forward bushing already installed. Next, the driver side. And more beer.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Any update on when he might be done

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No. No update AP. Wish I had more to offer and trust me... I’m chomping at the bit!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
1/31/21: my turn at the engine shop! engine builder says the block is fine, looks good inside throughout. He’s just waiting on the rotating assembly. He’s sending specs to AFR for the heads. He’ll let me know in the next couple of days

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so now that I know my engine is finally being worked on (after 3 months!), I’m starting to get antsy. I held true to my word and was not the “call all the time and check” kind of customer. A week ago Friday he was going to call Scat and get an ETA on my rotating assembly and call me back the following Monday or Tuesday. No call. Been a week. so I’m going to bend my self-imposed rules and call him and start putting a little fire under him. I don’t want to be a nudge, but I also don’t want to be the one they feel they can shove to the back of the boat.
I’m also thinking of driving down there (about 1.5 hrs away) and get my old parts. I know FOR CERTAIN my patience will explode if, for some unknown reason, my old parts magically don’t find their way back to me. This shop is highly reputable so I seriously doubt that’d happen, but my weariness is chipping away at me.

How long should it normally take an engine shop to completely go through and rebuild an engine? A few days once they get on it? A week? Or ??? Anybody? Anybody? Buehler? Buehler? Frye?...
Ok, I’m through venting!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have learned over the years that while I do not want to be the customer that is always bothering them if there are not clear and specific dates/times mentioned or me saying "I am not in a big rush" is the kiss of death. I dropped off my car to a shop in AZ to have them replace the heads/cam and made the mistake of saying it was not a big rush. For the next 3 months I made a trip to the shop and walked past my car collecting dust to ask if they did anything to it for him to say nope. Finally after 3 months I called 2 other shops and got info about how to get it to them and then called him and said if he didn't want to work on it let me know and have it towed to either of these shops. He called back 5 hours later to say the job was done........... So I am not sure I am much help here for the anxiety that is building unfortunately. If it were me I would be calling and asking now when they would like to have it completed. Let them pick the date and then make them stick to it and your not being an asshole with excessive needs if you check back and its not done they are being the assholes that are not meeting THEIR expectations.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have learned over the years that while I do not want to be the customer that is always bothering them if there are not clear and specific dates/times mentioned or me saying "I am not in a big rush" is the kiss of death. I dropped off my car to a shop in AZ to have them replace the heads/cam and made the mistake of saying it was not a big rush. For the next 3 months I made a trip to the shop and walked past my car collecting dust to ask if they did anything to it for him to say nope. Finally after 3 months I called 2 other shops and got info about how to get it to them and then called him and said if he didn't want to work on it let me know and have it towed to either of these shops. He called back 5 hours later to say the job was done........... So I am not sure I am much help here for the anxiety that is building unfortunately. If it were me I would be calling and asking now when they would like to have it completed. Let them pick the date and then make them stick to it and your not being an asshole with excessive needs if you check back and its not done they are being the assholes that are not meeting THEIR expectations.
I did a version of that today actually, weaving into the conversation that it’s been 3 months and I’m anxious to get it back. Magically, he quoted me Friday or mid week next week

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would have responded with "ok so I can drop by thursday/friday?" This again puts the ball in his court where either he has it done, or tells you not to come and why. It sucks we have to play these games but I have learned the hard way that the nice guy gets his car worked last in the shop.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would have responded with "ok so I can drop by thursday/friday?" This again puts the ball in his court where either he has it done, or tells you not to come and why. It sucks we have to play these games but I have learned the hard way that the nice guy gets his car worked last in the shop.
Yeah, I agree. It sucks but at some point kindness gives way to assertiveness. I may drive down there tomorrow on my day off and shake the tree! Three hours round trip but it’ll make a nice ride on my motorcycle.

Wmac

Reaction score
I think its a good idea to pay a visit and ask some questions. But take another vehicle and collect some of the old/not used parts. And do this now, before they go missing.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I’ve been rattling the cage intermittently for the last week and...... Result! They are delivering TWO Full Throttle clients’ engines tomorrow, Friday. Fingers crossed, I get a call telling me to bring my car over!

I also talked to FTK, since they have my tranny just sitting there, if I need any upgrades, etc to accommodate the increased HP. NO. Apparently, my tranny is in tip top shape, so we’ll hold off on that and see how it goes once I (finally) get to knock the snot out of my 347 stroker!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.