My engine rebuild thread!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought it was a little sad when you bolt up the pieces that cover the AFR machined into the heads. I didn't like covering up my trickflows...
I always thought it was a little sad when you bolt up the pieces that cover the AFR machined into the heads. I didn't like covering up my trickflows...
ttocs,
Me as well. The AFR’s are definitely muted by the still dirty valve covers. But what are my options??

Wmac

Reaction score
I like it just the way it is. A sleeping giant. Stock intake, stock valve covers with big heads/valves, cubes & camshaft. Should have good street manners with lots of power at wot. Can you say torque monster?
Hell, I would paint the heads "cast aluminum" to disguise them even more.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Nice to see things moving along! My first thought when I saw the car on the flatbed was, "Man, he needs to get some lowering spri.... oh, wait." :)

That motor is begging for some silver-painted Fox valve covers, now, but Wmac has a point about the current stealth aspect.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m torn. On the one hand I like the Sleeping Giant look, but I also like stuff, especially new stuff, clean and tidy. And a little showing off isn’t beyond me either. I think I’ll leave well enough alone but at least clean them up all pretty like!

Wmac

Reaction score
I don't think you will see 400 with the stock intake. Maybe 360-370. If you want a dyno queen, Holley or TFS is where the additional ponies will be. V covers of your choice, but be prepared for rocker clearance, egr tube fitment, etc. (and possible new hood for clearance)
Open the hood at a sat night meet and everyone will walk buy and say to themselves "what a nice stock cobra". Until you fire it. The rompty romp will say otherwise.
If its balls to the walls, TFS box R with a cobra R hood. Evil, wicked, mean and nasty. And all n/a, no juice, no boost.
And don't forget the T56. You will kill the T5 within a month. (or sooner)
Damn, I like spending your money.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So here’s the final list of changes and upgrades:

1. Rebuild stock Cobra 5.0 to a 347 stroker using Scat rotating assembly; AFR 165 heads (CARB legal); and Crane cam.

2. New rear suspension components to compliment the Eibach Pro-Plus suspension, including: MM upper and lower control arms; new quad shocks (OE); new calipers, brake pads and Ford Performance smooth rotors.(anti-moan brackets were already in place, so no need to add or replace)

3. New 315/35x17 Nitto NT555 G2 tires rear and 275/40’s front on SVE FR500 silver 10.5” and 9.0” wheels.

4. New Mishimoto radiator, fan and shroud assembly, upper & lower hoses and thermostat.

5. McCloud clutch with 28oz steel flywheel.

6. Diode Dynamics headlight upgrade wiring kit

7. New spark plugs and wires.

Components retained: stock Cobra intake and water pump.

only thing we’re waiting on now is the adapter plug-ins for the headlights, which should have been in the boxes it all came with. Possibly never received as the other 3 boxes were packed full with no room for missing components. Either
never got shipped or has been misplaced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a nice list!

Do they have it running yet? When’s the dyno/tune appointment?
It’s running! (Insert ear-to-ear smile here!)...

The initial tune will be dialed in and upgraded after 500+ miles. Until then, I’ve been instructed to “just drive it as I normally would in day to day driving WITHOUT standing on it or knocking the snot out of it until the 2nd tune”. End quote! Then we’ll do another oil change and then I can get my yah-yah’s opening her up and seeing what she’s got! Of course, I will forward the dyno numbers on to everyone regardless of how disappointing or impressive they are!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Found the adapter plugs! Got buried under a pile of shop towels after last weeks car washes and oil changes. Already went and dropped them off. Schew, that’s a relief! They’re just curing a minor thermostat issue then it’s off to the other end of the shop for the initial dyno!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the OE radiator and fan/shroud are going back in because the Mishimoto radiator has something blocking it (something inside blocking it). So it’s going back. HID lighting/wiring upgrade is in and done. Just waiting on the rad.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
That sucks, but they will replace it. While your waiting do yourself a favor and paint or powder the fan shrowd. I did it on mine and was happy I did. Just a nice black

TrickVert

Reaction score
I agree that's a nice list. Congrats on the almost-complete project! You know, you could always have the stock Cobra intake ported or Extrude Honed to maintain the stock-ish look. (Anyone with any knowledge of these cars at all will see the AFR heads and know there's more to the story, though.) The only other thing I can say is if you care at all about other drivers, you'll probably be pulling that HID conversion kit back out. There's almost no chance you'll be able to aim them correctly and not blind oncoming traffic.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks, but they will replace it. While your waiting do yourself a favor and paint or powder the fan shrowd. I did it on mine and was happy I did. Just a nice black
Not looking to replace. Refund!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that's a nice list. Congrats on the almost-complete project! You know, you could always have the stock Cobra intake ported or Extrude Honed to maintain the stock-ish look. (Anyone with any knowledge of these cars at all will see the AFR heads and know there's more to the story, though.) The only other thing I can say is if you care at all about other drivers, you'll probably be pulling that HID conversion kit back out. There's almost no chance you'll be able to aim them correctly and not blind oncoming traffic.
Hoping the shop will aim them at a tolerable level. But yes, I agree, I hate it too when aftermarket headlights are blaring in on me. We’ll see how it goes...

Chip66

Reaction score

When I built my engine, I was just the opposite. I've kept it looking as close to 100% stock as possible. I painted the block and heads with cast iron paint. You have to look really close to notice it's not the factory iron heads.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I'm a fan of stealth, too, but the whistle gives mine away. :)

Daryl: You may want to just run the stock/stock replacement rad. The SN95 cooling system is quite capable. I installed a new Spectrum Premium unit in when I did the blower (the original had a slight weeping leak), and have no problems with it at 400 RWHP.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good news to hear, Trick. Shop also assured me the stock one was definitely sufficient.

On my way this morning to pick up the car. All finished!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A2B773ED-9AD6-4FDB-8525-05805A5A23F1.jpeg 17564C59-2B7B-4268-9531-A29FD1470B2D.jpeg 82787F1C-4212-4BAC-8B6F-F880EE97E7D4.jpeg 103BC9F6-06DC-4EDE-9065-BEB41752032D.jpeg 46E50CA4-35C2-46F0-9B0C-53E489A975FA.jpeg DC69BB9C-D0BB-4339-8248-3C989551EA28.jpeg So, she’s back home! After 750 miles, I am to return for the final tune & dyno. Pictures include: 1 1/2 pages detailing the work that was done; cam specs; and her back home!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Man, that’s awesome! Glad to see it finally made it back. How did it feel on the drive?
Felt good but almost like getting reacquainted after 4 1/2 months away! Can’t wind it up past 4000rpm yet, but gets there in a pretty good hurry! I’m also going to drive it as the suspension sits for the duration of the 750-mile break in and then decide if I want to bring the back end down a bit. Maybe split the difference where it is now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online