Nick's 98gt Full Budget Built Turbo 2v

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Alright, gonna need some opinions here moving forward with clearancing for the turbo stuff.... I would like to get rid of the expansion tank. Tired of have having that weird multi line lower rad hose going everywhere and I can already tell it it will be in the way of my hot piping and downpipe.

I'd like to keep the 96-04 style rad mainly because they do not have a filler neck on them and I can easily relocate it farther forward to clearance the turbo. Plans are to use an inline filler neck and put it on the top factory rad hose as it will the highest point in the coolant system. And from the filler neck run a line to a simple overflow canister which I could hide about anywhere.

Will be something similar to this...........

WP_20140929_003_zps509716ad.jpg

WP_20140929_005_zps967bf3ce.jpg

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
That should work fine. I ditched my expansion tank as well. Threw out the “t” lower hose and just run a straight hose to lower radiator. I have a filler neck built into my radiator similar to 94-95’s, and than just run a line to a vented overflow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
That should work fine. I ditched my expansion tank as well. Threw out the “t” lower hose and just run a straight hose to lower radiator. I have a filler neck built into my radiator similar to 94-95’s, and than just run a line to a vented overflow

Are you using your overflow tank as just a catch for the coolant or for a recovery tank?

BMAC96GT

Reaction score

I've been looking into doing this a lot as well. I basically want to do the same thing as Mike but instead of a fancy radiator, just run an SVE aluminum 94-95 so it has the filler neck. Check out this thread

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/coolant-tank-delete.832485/

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I've been looking into doing this a lot as well. I basically want to do the same thing as Mike but instead of a fancy radiator, just run an SVE aluminum 94-95 so it has the filler neck. Check out this thread

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/coolant-tank-delete.832485/

Yeah I looked through that thread too however that first photo with the 94-95 rad wont work in my case as the turbo will be in the way. 97stanger did it right how he has the filler neck custom welded where it protrudes up and out from under the factory crash bar. Remember you have to have the Filler neck be the highest point in the coolant system.

That setup will work great for you though but as for the turbo guys its best to move the rad and fans back atleast an inch and half or so. Also did you see the size of that Plenum spacer!! lol damn

I will probably end up cutting my factory lower rad support off and welding in a tubular frame to mount my factory rad and fan further back. Rad will be hidden and I can also hide my overflow tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
It's a tight fit cutting the stock core support off tonight....
b80a60f70da53011cba5412ecada5f7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
I've read many times that if you ditch the a/c condenser you should be able to fabricate the lower mounting tabs in the lower radiator support and move it forward to allow for more room. But i did a ton of research with it and decided going the custom radiator setup would be best for my setup. Was super simple, drop in and go, and allowed me to ditch the expansion tank with no effort at all. Just wasn't cheap. Good call going tubular on lower rad support, I wish I did. also consider getting one with a tow hook welded on, makes life a lot easier if you ever need a tow or hook up to a winch

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I've read many times that if you ditch the a/c condenser you should be able to fabricate the lower mounting tabs in the lower radiator support and move it forward to allow for more room. But i did a ton of research with it and decided going the custom radiator setup would be best for my setup. Was super simple, drop in and go, and allowed me to ditch the expansion tank with no effort at all. Just wasn't cheap. Good call going tubular on lower rad support, I wish I did. also consider getting one with a tow hook welded on, makes life a lot easier if you ever need a tow or hook up to a winch
Yes I love the setup you did. My fabricator actually mentioned incorporating a tow ring. I think we will

Also what rad hose did you use?

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
as he said you can move the condenser forward and then the rad. I did it and needed to modify the filler neck on the radiator and in the end it only gained me maybe 3" but if I had not done that the vortech crank pulley would have hit the aluminum overflow tank I used. I though I saw someone that replaced the bash bar up front with a tubular and then hung the rad between the bar and the bottom of the core support to free up all kinds of space but i don't think they had a condenser.

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
as he said you can move the condenser forward and then the rad. I did it and needed to modify the filler neck on the radiator and in the end it only gained me maybe 3" but if I had not done that the vortech crank pulley would have hit the aluminum overflow tank I used. I though I saw someone that replaced the bash bar up front with a tubular and then hung the rad between the bar and the bottom of the core support to free up all kinds of space but i don't think they had a condenser.
Thats exactly what I will be doing. I dont have a condenser anymore so I have plenty of room up front. The lower core support Im chopping off and welding in a tubular bar and making my own rad mounts where I can put the stock rad and fan flush to the underside of the factory top core support.

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Some more mockup over the weekend. Chopped off the lower rad support and put the radiator where I felt happy with it. Clears the turbo perfect and leaves a better opening for the lower rad hose to clear the hot piping. Also mocked up the intercooler and looks like I will have plenty of room there too. Will be making measurments and fabbing my new rad/intercooler support soon.

82f3a5b42b3454b0d57c3c6f8ec6c7ab.jpg
57b62579dedcc7fb75562c5f17be9b25.jpg
7c1203a9276b5ec3a284083b2427ab11.jpg
37cc3ea160cd3208a2e8ddf27beb377e.jpg

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Some more mockup over the weekend. Chopped off the lower rad support and put the radiator where I felt happy with it. Clears the turbo perfect and leaves a better opening for the lower rad hose to clear the hot piping. Also mocked up the intercooler and looks like I will have plenty of room there too. Will be making measurments and fabbing my new rad/intercooler support soon.

82f3a5b42b3454b0d57c3c6f8ec6c7ab.jpg
57b62579dedcc7fb75562c5f17be9b25.jpg
7c1203a9276b5ec3a284083b2427ab11.jpg
37cc3ea160cd3208a2e8ddf27beb377e.jpg

Looks great man! What size downpipe? Are you going to support the turbo?

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
I havnt measured the downpipe but I think its a 3". As for a turbo support.... I think we will incorporate something when we build the rad support. Have yet to decide how I want to go about it though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Black friday deals are upon us. Finally ordered my Manual Rack. Last thing to purchase is my new pump and fuel tank and we should be good to go.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If only places like Glens Performance and D&D transmissions did those deals. I’d have most of the stuff for my build then!!!! Lol

OP
OP
98snakehorse

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Manual rack is in. Gotta say the unisteer rack is a great piece and I really like how easy it is to install their steering linkage. Compare the price of their kit that includes everything to install down to the tie rod ends and that of the flaming river and it’s a no brainer.

775132624865ce4369a13c339d7054e4.jpg

62574c04e9b4fd745b35a944ed153b2a.jpg

50HSN95

Reaction score
I did something very similar with my core support. Ended up just getting some tubing, bends and fabbed up a nice lower loop for the radiator. I moved my radiator ahead of the core but do not have a charge air cooler to contend with though.

Looks like it is going to be fun! My exhaust even though n/a is going to come out in nearly the same spot. Though I still have to bleed the system after new lines I did the same as well with the MM manual brake kit. I set the pedal to the lowest point as well.

Its nice not having a bunch of lines all over the place, and to be able to clean up the clutter in the engine bay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online