Project Cherry Bomb: 90 LX

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Not sure if that's what they are or rat turds!! I found several rat turds on the intake manifold while I was working on the valve covers and used a can of compressed air to blow it all away. Wouldn't want that shit gumming up the cam now would we?? I've got plans for one of those cheap HF compressors, I really don't need it for much, not gnna drive any tools with it, mostly just need something for the air instead of buying a lot of cans of it!!

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Still fighting stupid doorpins!!!! Gnna drill and use dyn-o-myte on it next!!! .... wanders off mumbling about danm top doorpin......

50HSN95

Reaction score
Still fighting stupid doorpins!!!! Gnna drill and use dyn-o-myte on it next!!! .... wanders off mumbling about danm top doorpin......

Might I suggest a small RDX or PETN shape charge? might reduce the overall damage to the car.

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Fixed door pins and bushings. I don't wanna talk about it..

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Cleaned busted glass out the floor an dug glass out the seat an lubed it up before putting it back in.. yeh no pics.. just trying to keep track of shit so's I don't forget what I did an when it was... Ta!

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Me an the ex worked on the new gas tank today getting it ready for install, put the padding on the top to keep it from rubbing the car. IMG_20200716_151559613_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200716_152441947.jpg

Used this stuff that I got from Lowe's for $20 for a whole roll instead of $50 from LMR for 3 sheets of stick on foam and I still have almost 3/4 of a roll left I can use elsewhere..IMG_20200716_151554960.jpg

I figured it'll come in handy on the floorpans if I ever get into that for a lil noise deadener and insulation from headers or anything else I can think of.. Also got a sock for the fuel pump (mustang sock fits a Dodge fuel pump! Who knew??) Not able to get too much done, frakkin heat wave is enough to make the corn in the fields pop and we've had crows all over think it was snow and freeze to death!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the important question, is it closed cell foam? Closed cell foam will not absorb water, open cell foam is a sponge. Being that it is made for interior HVAC use I would be afraid it open cell since it would not matter in there in which case you just made a great way to hold water above the tank and make it rust from above.

50HSN95

Reaction score
Good question, I was curious also and looked at their web site, it does not say much there other than:

Combines the properties of two popular insulating materials in one handy roll. It can be used on both heating and air-conditioning ducts, as well as on car and truck hoods and trunks.

Presuming it would be OK if intended to be for the engine bay, however I would still double check. Don't want it to sit there and collect water and then corrode the tank faster.

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Hmmmm dint think of that... I've got a scrap piece left I can try soaking in water an seeing if it absorbs it or not, I'll follow up with the results!!

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Shoulda posted this yesterday, but was pretty shagged out from the heat, so just now getting to it today.. got the pump mounted up in the holder and the sock on the pump, danm, they make it look so easy hooking up that lil hose on the YouTube videos, I cut my fingers all to pieces and it took me the better part of an hour and 1/2 just to get that done!! IMG_20200717_152015054_HDR.jpg then got it and the fuel gauge sending unit both mounted in the tank. That's another thing!! It looks so easy to just drop the fuel pump and hanger right in the tank? Nawwwwww.... It's like playing Jenga upside down to get everything lined up in the fuel baffle, then get it lined up with the slots in the top of the tank!! IMG_20200717_153545285.jpg

IMG_20200717_154422211_HDR.jpg sooo besides the seal for the fuel neck filler (which I have) but I'm waiting to put that in till I'm ready to put in the tank, and getting a new seal for the tank vent I think I can stick a fork in this pig and call the tank done!! Well, besides putting it in I mean.... And nope I've not forgotten about testing that scrap of stuff to see if it'll hold water. Actually by the feel of it, the foam is pretty dense, but squishy. I'll still test it for ya's tho cause I said I would!!

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Just now finished putting the new fuel filler neck in Cherry Bomb. Had to do it 2x cause I forgot which order the top part went in... Oops.. thought it was going together too easy. Well I got it figgered out and got it in right anyhoo.. IMG_20200718_114835099.jpg

IMG_20200718_114851055.jpg

I'ma wait to nail down the bottom seal for when we put the tank back in and there's more than just me here to help with getting that one in.. it'll be easier to get it lined up and everything started right on it..

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Good news everyone!!!!! I did some testing with the stick on insulation that I found and as far as water.. it just repels it.. didn't seem to me like any of it soaked up in the test piece I had, none soaked into the edges. I tried to squeeze it to see if any had been absorbed into it, and nothing came out. So as best as I can tell it really seems to be good to go for the application that I'm using it for. I don't think it would work too well for trying to stick it on the underneath of your floor pans or anything like that, but inside under the carpet, under the hood, or like I'm using it, on top of a gas tank I'm completely comfortable using it there...IMG_20200716_151548905_HDR.jpg

Cheers!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
have you tried to install it yet? I am curious how much harder it will make the install as it does get squeezed between the mounts a bit and can make you struggle a little to get it in place with out the insulation. I can guarantee that it would not be good under the hood as it says it would or as you said under the floor pans.

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Under the floor pans was meant as a joke... On top and under the carpet in may help with NVH, but that's just my guess, also I don't know if it will help out underhood it not that's what they claimed on their web site.. I only put it on my tank the approximate thickness of the original padding that was on the tank, I don't know how pliable the original stuff is but this stuff seems to be pretty squishy. As I do with everything that I can remember to do with Cherry Bomb I do post it here, and if this stuff turns out to be a bad idea I will post that also.. If it turns out that the install works out well I'll post that too..

OP
OP
Werecow

Werecow

Reaction score
Did wires an stuff!! Will report more when I get a lil more of this rat's nest sorted out!!! An I'll have pics when I do!!! They outta frakkin outlaw black tape.........