Quick Fuel Diagnosis Anyone? (Coyote Swap)

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Hey guys, came here for some possible help.

Coyote swap (gen 1 truck engine) into a 97 Mustang. At first, had problems with running out of fuel at 3k rpms. Did a 255lph pump (should be more than enough?) And I thought I fixed it, but now I'm just cutting out at 4k instead.

Would a fuel filter made for the 200hp 4.6 restrict flow for a 400hp 5.0? Are stock lines too small or what?
Any ideas are appreciated!

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Tell me about the rest of your fuel system; which regulator, what’s your base fuel pressure, how you have it hooked up, how you’re tuning/datalogging... All of it. Pictures would also help immensely.

Just looking this over at face value, the first thing that jumps out is the stock return line is too small. The 255 lph pump should be ok for a stocky Coyote but 305 lph would be better and I recommend considering one from Quantum Fuel or Aeromotive.

So, I recommend either the quantum pump hanger (8AN feed/6AN return) or the Pro-M version (6AN/6AN).. There are ways to adapt the stock feed line to the AN fittings but you should look toward updating that return line.

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Tell me about the rest of your fuel system;

Which regulator, what’s your base fuel pressure... All of it.

-Deatschwerks 255LPH in tank fuel pump
-Aeromotive 13130 Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator w/ gauge (set at 55 PSI)
- -6 AN fuel lines, flow and return (only from stock lines in engine bay to fuel rail)

Thats pretty much it. I suspect the fuel filter cause thats the only major component I haven't touched yet.

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
Tell me about the rest of your fuel system; which regulator, what’s your base fuel pressure, how you have it hooked up, how you’re tuning/datalogging... All of it. Pictures would also help immensely.

Just looking this over at face value, the first thing that jumps out is the stock return line is too small. The 255 lph pump should be ok for a stocky Coyote but 305 lph would be better and I recommend considering one from Quantum Fuel or Aeromotive.

So, I recommend either the quantum pump hanger (8AN feed/6AN return) or the Pro-M version (6AN/6AN).. There are ways to adapt the stock feed line to the AN fittings but you should look toward updating that return line.

So you think the return line? Shit maybe. Not gonna lie though I really dont wanna drop that tank again.
As for tuning, I dont have a tuner but I'm able to display live data through a Bluetooth OBD connection. Doesn't exactly have every sensor though, considerings its a control pack

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
You can use your stock feed line as your return and can get by with one 6AN for the new feed. Either way you have to pull the tank and it’s a pain.

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
You can use your stock feed line as your return and can get by with one 6AN for the new feed. Either way you have to pull the tank and it’s a pain.

Well either way we're talking about replacing the whole line, from the regular to the tank? Honestly I've never done that. Is it a pain?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
That is correct. It is a pain but it’s not impossibly difficult. Easiest way is to ty-wrap the new line to the old fuel lines. Just keep them out of the driveshaft tunnel and away from suspension components, tires that turn, etc.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
-Deatschwerks 255LPH in tank fuel pump
-Aeromotive 13130 Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator w/ gauge (set at 55 PSI)
- -6 AN fuel lines, flow and return (only from stock lines in engine bay to fuel rail)

Thats pretty much it. I suspect the fuel filter cause thats the only major component I haven't touched yet.
I would start by setting your adjustable regulator to the same fuel pressure as the stock regulator. I'm not sure why it's set to 55 PSI. Remember, as fuel pressure is raised higher and higher, the flow available from the fuel pump gets smaller and smaller. And yes, if your fuel filter is clogged replacing it will help.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
I would start by setting your adjustable regulator to the same fuel pressure as the stock regulator. I'm not sure why it's set to 55 PSI. Remember, as fuel pressure is raised higher and higher, the flow available from the fuel pump gets smaller and smaller. And yes, if your fuel filter is clogged replacing it will help.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

Well its a swap so I have no "stock fuel pressure regulator" the only reference I have is the Ford control pack instructions which says the coyote needs at least a 155lph pump at 55 psi. So right now I should be pushing 235lph (ish) with 55 psi. Should be more than enough. But I might try fuel filter before a whole line

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I tried 45 psi with my system as well and was having issues until I bumped it up to 53 myself. What ecu are you using?

OP
OP
ForeverDriven

ForeverDriven

Reaction score
I tried 45 psi with my system as well and was having issues until I bumped it up to 53 myself. What ecu are you using?

The one that comes with the Ford Performance Control Pack. And yeah man, instructions say it needs to be 55 psi at rail. I know I'm the one asking for help but I'd bump yours up a few more psi lol

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
The one that comes with the Ford Performance Control Pack. And yeah man, instructions say it needs to be 55 psi at rail. I know I'm the one asking for help but I'd bump yours up a few more psi lol

He’s running a small block Ford though, different animal.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score

Good luck
Michael Plummer

Michael is right. Start with the basics before you make sweeping changes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online