Swords Evolution

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
I've been planning to do a belly pan - didn't really know what material to use. I'm going to take a close look at marine grade starboard now - I don't even know what that is but the Googs will tell me! Thanks for the idea ;)

It's basically a soft plastic made for marine use. Mostly it's white when used in boats. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a little flimsy, and pricey. I paid $150 for a sheet of 3x6 in 3/8 thickness. But it's very strong stuff. If I had to do it again I'd probably go thinner. Or use something more rigid like alumalight. This was what was easily available to me.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you figure out what you want let me know. We get tons of it at work.

Oh that is just fantastic! I thought I was going to have to order the stuff online. I will certainly being hitting you up my dude.

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Did some tweeking to the splitter rods and main support. I originally connected the rods from the splitter to the bumper cover. I've seen many street cars like this but mine will see 120+ mph on track so I need it to be as strong as possible. My idea was to add a bigass washer to the backside of the bumper cover. This way it has more surface area to hold to. Only problem is these splitter rods come with such short bolts. I had two options, one was go to the hardware store and find a longer bolt, or make something myself. I really didn't want to go to the store for two bolts so I used a unibit to open the holes in the center of the washers some to allow the head of the bolts to sit flush, thus allowing as much of the thread to stick through the bumper to screw into the top part of the rod. Once it was all together it really adds some strength to the rods.

I also went ahead and removed the aluminum angle that I was using to support the splitter underneath. Instead I replaced it with another set of bigass washers.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

What is the metal C-channel that is going across the front for? Kooks like a piece from some shelving?

I had been wondering how a splitter would look under the shinoda chin since I got it and after seeing how nice it came out on yours it will be moved up to my "will be done list". It will probably be a while till the car is on the road, not I just need to decide should I mold the splitter into the chin to match the bumper, or carbon fiber... Both would look cool obviously but the removable nature of the cf could be handy.

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
What is the metal C-channel that is going across the front for? Kooks like a piece from some shelving?

I had been wondering how a splitter would look under the shinoda chin since I got it and after seeing how nice it came out on yours it will be moved up to my "will be done list". It will probably be a while till the car is on the road, not I just need to decide should I mold the splitter into the chin to match the bumper, or carbon fiber... Both would look cool obviously but the removable nature of the cf could be handy.

I picked that up at a hardware store. Just needed some reinforcements to help stiffen the splitter while being installed. I'm not 100% happy with how flexable that material is. It's been bothering me since I finished it which is not good cause I don't want to worry about it. I'm already thinking about redoing it using something more ridged like alumalight or aluminum. Something that's strong and light and not so flimsy.

Btw's my buddy who races in American Iron also has the Shinoda spoiler but the cobra version to match his cobra bumper. He uses alumalight for a splitter. Very light weight and ridged. It was originally the material I was after but the starboard presented itself easier to me. I think I'm going to start looking to redo it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok that makes sense. I would almost wonder if mounting it on the very back of the splitter so rather then the open end facing down, have it facing forward and going around the wood would give the same effect but not hang down being dared to be torn off.

I am starting to learn how t cover/skin stuff with real carbon fiber and while it is not a %100 carbon fiber piece that is super stiff/strong, that top layer does make it stiffer and looks just as good. Not sure what I would start off with but I will probably do the CF covering to go with the hood/roof/other goodies.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just started with it but I have LOTS of plans for it. I was going to finish my fist piece today but instead decided it would be more fun to throw up for 6 hrs and then go to the hospital. I made an insert that will go on top of the curved grill area(under the horse logo) and covered it so that it will match the cf hood that I am painted the edges of to make a CF stripe down the middle, starting at that insert. I am then going to cover the roof so I can paint the same stripe.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
For a chin splitter to be functional, you should be able to stand on it, otherwise it ain't doing $#!+. With a good chin splitter, and belly pan sealing the bottom of the engine bay, and a heat extraction hood, you can be looking at close to 200# of downforce! Even at moderately low speeds. Aero is no joke when done correctly.

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
For a chin splitter to be functional, you should be able to stand on it, otherwise it ain't doing $#!+. With a good chin splitter, and belly pan sealing the bottom of the engine bay, and a heat extraction hood, you can be looking at close to 200# of downforce! Even at moderately low speeds. Aero is no joke when done correctly.

I agree with it needing to be strong. I'm not completely satisfied with the way it came out design wise, not on strength. That standing on the splitter thing is bullshit. Pretty sure my buddies who own Boss's with the Ford splitters would be pretty pissed off if they caught me standing on their shit. :mad: I guaranty non of them would hold 100#. And they drive much better/faster then me being all of them are instructors.

Btw's just in case you don't believe me about some of my friends with the Boss's. This past Nov track event at Homestead Speedway.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well yea if anyone saw you standing on their splitter they would be pissed. What he is saying though is that one you are up to speed though if that thing is working the force that it exerts pulling down is probably equal to someone standing on it. Obviously that weight would be distributed hopefully evenly across the splitter but there is still a significant down force on it that requires that is built like a brick shtuff house.

Evilgt

Reaction score
I agree with it needing to be strong. I'm not completely satisfied with the way it came out design wise, not on strength. That standing on the splitter thing is bullshit. Pretty sure my buddies who own Boss's with the Ford splitters would be pretty pissed off if they caught me standing on their shit. :mad: I guaranty non of them would hold 100#. And they drive much better/faster then me being all of them are instructors.

Btw's just in case you don't believe me about some of my friends with the Boss's. This past Nov track event at Homestead Speedway.

I wish the Colorado guys would hang together like this. Seems that it's always just RichV and I. Bummer.

Some day I would love for my car to hang with a Boss 302.

kyle

OP
OP
hotmustang95

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Alright, decided today to stop screwing around and get off my lazy ass and finish the splitter the way I intentionally intended by welding some type of supports for the rods. This is the strongest way to do it. I just didn't like the way I had it before. With the splitter off I accessed the bumper support from under the car. There's plenty of room. I measured the length of 1"X 1" square tubing I needed and cut two pieces of 2"X 3" long 1/4" thick flat bar. I tack welded it from under the car first to hold it's position. Then I removed the front bumper and finished it off. I welded a bolt at the ends of each tube that will stick out from behind the bumper which will allow the top end of the splitter rods to screw into.

I also removed both of those braces I originally bolted to the splitter. I put the smallest of the two back on but this time on the opposite side for a smoother underside. The splitter is now solid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online