the momstang rebuild begins TOOK A TRIP AROUND THE BLOCK!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Also finally decided on the headlights, and I am going one piece no matter what the haterz say. Also ordered a dual projector system from mirimoto with the graphite shrouds and just hammering out exactly which hids I will put in it. I will be first painting the reflector black. I think the reflector is actually in two pieces with a front and a back half. If that is the case I am going to cover the back half in carbon fiber vinyl, leave the front black and possibly paint the top portion of the lense black as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130728512168

THIS close to getting a radiator and overflow tank... Will be upgrading that from stock, will post pics when its ordered.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
16287498_large.jpg
parts started to arrive today for the headlight retrofit. The lights come tomorrow and hopefully I can get it done this weekend if I am feeling better. Felt like crap the last 3 days, nothing all that abnormal though.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
KillnThrill is right, that core support doesnt even need to be cut out IMO, just get it to a decent shop and they square it back up no worries. No need to hack up an original car with original welds/gussets, you got off lightly.

Nice to see that you;re not taking this laying down though! Kudos.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am excited to see how your retrofits come out, because I know you are the freakin man

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
was just reading last night what it takes to make devil eyes. Seems like that would be cool on a sinister lookin mustang. Gonna go out today and get the leds I need. Lights should be here any time today now.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Finally didn't feel like crap today! Didn't feel wonderful either but well enough to get some work done. I have been wanting to work on trimming my fenders down so that I can install the new ones with some kind of clean split between the rockers/fenders with out having them screwed/bonded together. Was surprised how much is under there, never looked before... I think it would be nice to have access to these things if I need too later with out having to cut the fender off then.

So this is where I started. I did a rough cut about half way down just to get it out of the way an see what was back there. There is also a hidden message in there for ya!
16288405_large.jpg

I want to cut them down at where the door/rocker meets so that it will not be a line that looks out of place although there will not be this big of a space between them. The tape is marking the lowest point I want to trim down too for the time being leaving myself a mm or to of space to still go down with the file/dremel as the cutting wheel is not a tool for precision. After spending nearly 20 yrs polishing this paint, this wasn't all that easy, at first...
16288450_large.jpg

And this is where I am at now, still not completed but close.
16288407_large.jpg

Still some cleaning up of the line as well as filling too do. I want to fill the small dip below it where the rocker ended so that the area directly below the cut will roll up almost like it does under the door. The fender I hope to have meet up with little/no gap between them. I will weld a piece of metal from the old fender behind this piece you see now so the new fender has a place to rest against and maybe add a pin or something to help hold it still.

I also started to consider what I will do for the windshield wiper fluid. I don't like to drive it in rain but there has been times so its something wanted too keep while smoothing the bay. I can't figure out anyplace to hide the reservoir so instead I am going to get this canton expansion tank, poweder it black to match the bay and then mount it up by the rad on the opposite side of the 94-95s expansion tank on the pass side also powdered. This tank is only 13" long so I will mount it down as far as I can and black/black expansion tank on the rad shouldn't draw too much attention. But what about the pump right?! Not completely sure yet. I removed the factory pump from the stock reservoir and discovered that the top part of the housing that holds the pump and is part of the reservoir is also the top of the pump chamber - meaning I need the housing and the pump. So I cut the housing out of the reservoir so its basically a small T-shape now. One end I need to be sealed into the wiper fliud to draw from, the other end is where the fluid feeds out of, and the last end is where the pump power hrns is. I am going to try and get a pvc T-joint that is bigger then this piece and see if I can epoxy it into that joint so I can use one end of it as a small sealed reservoir that the pump will draw from. I think if I keep this piece down below the reservoir, as well as with the pressure that the tube will generate feeding out of the bottom, that it will hopefully create enough suction to draw from the larger on and then still push it up to the windshield. Kinda making this one up as I go along, oh hell well the fenders are about the same way. You can't dictate innovation.
16288404_large.jpg

Headlights arrived today as scheduled. I don't think I will have enough space to do the double projector like I hoped but oh well should look cool with singles and devil eyes. Never done that crap either so much learning from this accident.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
im really interested on the windshield washer bottle... cant wait to see whatcha end up doing!

Props to you Scott, this type of project seemed a bit out of your realm, im impressed that you're tackling it!

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
oh make no mistake about it, this is waaaaay outa the relm of what I have ever done before. Its a learning experience for sure but stuff I have been wanting to learn to do anyway. Just ordered the mishimoto radiator, canton coolant expansion tank for 94-95 as well as one for 96-93 to use for the wiper reservoir. I put Chris's number at Stage3 on speed dial for the next time I need parts as he was great to deal with and found me the cheapest price I could find and even hooked me up with a shirt! I will probably powder the tanks black to go with the rest of the engine bay so that they will just blend in.

Was also happy to finally get my first headlight apart. Tried the oven for over an hour on different temps/times yesterday before I finally broke down and got a heat gun and then it came apart. I was happy too see that the reflector is in 2 pieces in the light as that means I can go as I planned with a black/carbon fiber look to match my hood/cowl. With a smoked lens hopefully it will look cool, again its all new to me...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
got tired of waiting for my parts car. I went there 3 weeks ago now and made the deal that they would call to arrange to drop it off when they took the engine/tranny out. They made it sound like they had it planned to do it that weekend but when I called last week(2 weeks after) he said that he hoped to get it done that weekend. With today being Tuesday I can only assume that they didn't do it last weekend, maybe this weekend... Did a quick search on CL last night to see if anything came up since then and low and behold 2 days ago someone posted a 95 gt that has a clean title, runs, shifts into 1-2 and R but nothing after that. Body is in great shape that the motor is completely stock from the air filter up and they only wanted $150 more then what I agreed too with the other car that didn't have a motor/tranny/clean title. I didn't put any money down on the other car so its not like I am locked into anything and they took too damn long already, so screw it after a few calls I was off tonight to make the 1hr trip to go check it out. Guy that had the car has a supercharged 331 he is looking to drop into something and was going to use this car but decided he wanted to start with a black/white car(not laser pink) to make it easier to finish painting. Seemed like too good of a deal but after looking at it he said he would throw it on his trailer and drag it to my place tonight. So, work resumes tomorrow now stripping the parts car and maybe trying to fix the tranny in hope to sell if it isn't that big of a deal. Anyone have any idea what would keep an automatic in 1-2 gear?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Will do shortly. Car didn't get dropped off till 10 pm last night just waiting for my usual morning stomach problems to clear up so I can start working.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nice glad to see you got the ball rolling on this , I know about rebuilding a car all too well... Hope ur stomach clears up soon man.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Shit I am waaaay past the point of hoping something like pepto will clear this up. I have been dealing with it since 2003 and disabled from it since 2009 since it took over my life. Every morning I just feel like crap, nauseated and everything delightful that digestive issues can give you(I will spare you the details as TMI). Sometimes it clears up by 10-11 but most days until late afternoon I am just not sure which way I am going and in a state of waiting too see what happens next. It is what it is, thankfully I have a great family to help.

But back to the show. Was all anxious to tear into it today and just waiting for my stomach to let me. Finally got a couple of hours into it. check it out, clean title, runs/idles fine just doesn't shift from 2nd.
16292839_large.jpg

Strangest intake I have ever seen leading into the fender :) And the rad cover is in perfect condition!
16292841_large.jpg

And am I the only one that hates being interrupted while your working? What if its the UPS man bringin these goodies?!
16292846_large.jpg

And after a short time I am here.
16292861_large.jpg

With the canton tanks, should I leave them raw, polish them or powder coat them to match the engine bay?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Got another box today with the scott-rod panels for the engine bay! can't wait to yank the motor and put those in.

16293941_large.jpg

Also got started on the pass fender today and cleaned up the edge on the car and did a rough cut on the fender. As you can tell by the door gaps I still have a long way(mm's) to go to get it perfect but with a lot of little trimming/fitting hopefully where those two panels meet will not stick out too bad or grab attention.
16293939_large.jpg

I think by the time I am done smoothing out the seem between the rocker and the old install all the way down the side it should come out ok.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Will be keeping it the same color of DFG and adding some black-candy accents with the center of the hood and the roof painted with the candy paint. I think I want to do a satin black under the hood but for some reason I am 2nd guessing the sating and wondering if I should go gloss? I will have the cobra intake polished and think it will pop a little more with the satin, dunno...