What the Sam Hill is this??

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So, poking around the engine bay, checking fluids, etc and noticed THIS. It’s uncovered and I don’t know if that’s ok or not? Also, due to the fact it’s open facing forward, I’m wondering if crap can get in there that’s not supposed to! It’s on the passenger side adjacent the last 2 exhaust ports rearward.image.jpg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Part of your emissions where the smog pump should be
On it
But somthing is missing on that end

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
…and I live in Cali. Smog check stations gonna have a ball with me :-(
No offense, but I hope it’s something else!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Part of your emissions where the smog pump should be
On it
But somthing is missing on that end
Well that just sucks! When I had the rebuilt motor put back in I was VERY specific “ it has to pass smog”. A simple request,”build me as much power and still pass smog”. Hell, it’s even got all FOUR catalytic converters, per stock.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Like others have said it’s for the smog pump. It’s a check valve for the crossover on the back of the heads. It’s not really needed but might throw a code. That hose that’s just lying next to it connects it to the smog pump.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Tube was just tucked under out of the way. Schew!! image.jpgimage.jpg
Hard to see, but other end attaches back side down low. If you trace the red suspension bar, you can just make it out!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone… major pissed off panic session avoided! Is it too early for a beer?!

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
I'm assuming your heads are emissions rated. You'll find one hole drilled and tapped at each end of your cylinder head. If you're not using any emission/thermactor hookups you should plug the hole at the back of each cylinder head. In an emissions-exempt vehicle, the rear holes may have been left open or unplugged by mistake because the person simply didn't know it was an exhaust leak. To plug the holes, you can visit your local bolt supplier and get 5/8-11 x 3/4 stainless steel bolts and apply a good thread sealer because the bolts are pretty coarse.

I also believe you can buy the plugs that Ford uses but I don't have the part number for those at the moment.........Found it: OEM Ford 5/8-inch blind hole insert (Ford PN 351418-S).

Good luck
Michael Plummer

Last edited:

Michael Plummer

Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online