What the Sam Hill is this??

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm assuming your heads are emissions rated. You'll find one hole drilled and tapped at each end of your cylinder head. If you're not using any emission/thermactor hookups you should plug the hole at the back of each cylinder head. In an emissions-exempt vehicle, the rear holes may have been left open or unplugged by mistake because the person simply didn't know it was an exhaust leak. To plug the holes, you can visit your local bolt supplier and get 5/8-11 x 3/4 stainless steel bolts and apply a good thread sealer because the bolts are pretty coarse.

I also believe you can buy the plugs that Ford uses but I don't have the part number for those at the moment.........Found it: OEM Ford 5/8-inch blind hole insert (Ford PN 351418-S).

Good luck
Michael Plummer
Michael,
Yes, my cylinder heads are AFR E-series, CARB approved.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
It is a one-way reed valve for the emissions system. it usually feeds into the engine exhaust. The open end is the suction side of the valve. Run the engine and feel for suction.

CobraEd

Reaction score
That is part of the air injection system which hooks up to the smog pump. It is tied into a tube which crosses over between the backs of the two cylinder heads. Since you have AFR smog legal heads, they have ports on the back of each head for that crossover tube connection. There may also be a tube that runs back to the cats. The metal tubes & hoses in the upper right corner are part of the air injection system. I do not have the smog pump itself in the pic. These are off of my carbureted 85 GT but would be similar on injected models of later years.20181211_175929.jpg20181211_175929.jpg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i remember those days , i gutted all the wiring on mine when i put in the 460 interceptor
but mine was a 92 gt
85 was no joke with all the wire harnesses and crap ether

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online