12.3 @109, 1.63 60 foot...06 gt couple bolt ons, gears.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was under the impression that a 96-98 5 speed coupe was like 3250 curb weight?

maybe im crazy but its not hard to make a 96-98 gt weight 3100 lbs

Removing everything from the trunk, rear seat, front sway bar, dog bone should save like 100 lbs. or so.

DFG had welds which probably dropped 50 lbs on all 4 wheels with the skinnys up front.

so thats how you get a stock 5 speed coupe from 3250 to 3100~

Theres not too much more you can do without making the car unstreetable

Aluminum block saves like 80 pounds I thought...coilovers and k member save like 30 lbs but that shit is $$$$

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Passenger said:
SRT Handz said:
DFG Pimpin need to get in here because even he got his car down to 3100 LBS

If your referring to his GT, that was with EVERYTHING removed. No passenger seat, no rear seat, no jack/spare, no front sway bar, 15" Telstars (which are light as hell) and I believe he had the racing seat from his Cobra in it too (Not sure on the brand). Probably had less than 1/4 tank in it too seeing as he was racing that night.

you realize it would probably take all of a half to remove the jack( does anyone actually keep this in their car), rear seat, passenger seat, and front sway bar.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
My car with only a drivers seat, 1/4 tank and nothing in the truck is just a hair over 3100 LBS.....

Removing the passenger seat, backseat, and stuff in the trunk is nowhere near 300+ pounds of weight.

Plus, last time I checked Handz doesn't have a set of Bogarts and doesn't go to the dragstrip to run his 15 second car.

Paul.

Passenger

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
I was under the impression that a 96-98 5 speed coupe was like 3250 curb weight?

maybe im crazy but its not hard to make a 96-98 gt weight 3100 lbs

Removing everything from the trunk, rear seat, front sway bar, dog bone should save like 100 lbs. or so.

DFG had welds which probably dropped 50 lbs on all 4 wheels with the skinnys up front.

so thats how you get a stock 5 speed coupe from 3250 to 3100~

Theres not too much more you can do without making the car unstreetable

Aluminum block saves like 80 pounds I thought...coilovers and k member save like 30 lbs but that shit is $$$$

If I'm not mistaken, the spare/jack, and rear CLOTH seat assembly is roughly ~100lbs by themselves. I think the passenger seat is somewhere in the 40-60# area. Sway bar is a little over 20#

Gasoline is ~6lbs per gallon as well. Weight adds up VERY fast

Reaction score
maybe i misqouted myself... i need to go check my old drag times threads... it could have been 3450 with me in the car, ill go check

Reaction score
my fualt guys...

xsoutherngun89x said:
GaryG said:
SRT Handz said:
justinschmidt1 said:
like Handz said...all of that stuff can go..but your really not gonna save a lot of weight...

Actually you lose ALOT of weight if you start removing things...i pretty much have my car down to a little more than 3,100LBS

and how much do our cars weigh?
mine weighs 3465 with me in it. i weigh 225. thats with the jack and a nearly full tank. drag strip verified

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So SRT Handz Is Right..... :boink: :boink: :boink: :boink: :boink: :boink: :boink:

Reaction score
so 3465-225=3240... maybe 140 wouldnt be impossible...

never admitted that, im just sayin it is alot more feasable than originally thought...

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
SRT Handz said:
So SRT Handz Is Right..... :boink: :boink: :boink: :boink: :boink: :boink: :boink:

Not until SRT Handz has pictures of his car on a scale weighing 3100 pounds with the aforementioned weight reduction. :) ...which he won't. Ever.

Paul.

Passenger

Reaction score
Paul, quick question, didn't you road race in the past? American iron series maybe?

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
xsoutherngun89x said:
so 3465-225=3240... maybe 140 wouldnt be impossible...

never admitted that, im just sayin it is alot more feasable than originally thought...

there you go...that sounds right now

My 248a car has to be atleast 12.4 pounds lighter than yours...

manual doors, windows, seats FTW

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Passenger said:
Paul, quick question, didn't you road race in the past? American iron series maybe?

I'm not allowed in AI because I don't have a stock floorpan. The car fits in SCCA ITE (which is a regional class) and various other modified classes in other sanctioning bodies.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think im gonna strip my car and ride around like a ricer....

should be fun for a while

I need to get some pro stars to rock....15 inch prostars are the shit!

Passenger

Reaction score
Paul said:
Passenger said:

I'm not allowed in AI because I don't have a stock floorpan. The car fits in SCCA ITE (which is a regional class) and various other modified classes in other sanctioning bodies.
Ah. For some reason I thought you did. Was gonna ask you if you know Beau Dunnivant. Guy owns a local Mustang speedshop and races a '92 in the Midatlantic AI series

84.jpg

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
No, I'm sorry I don't know him. I don't think my car would be competitive in AIX, and I know for sure that I wouldn't be competitive. :hammer:

I mostly just enjoy racing cars, but will probably never be particularly skilled at it. I don't care, as long as I'm having fun. :)

Paul.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
all that matters when it comes down to it. I want to build a road race car oneday

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Steven said:
all that matters when it comes down to it. I want to build a road race car oneday

Take it from me, don't build anything. Take a stock mustang, throw some shocks/struts/springs/tires on it, and go beat the hell out of it. It will take probably several years for you to drive your car at the limit. Once you can do that, and if you are still really enjoying it, then consider getting a little more serious.

Paul.

OP
OP
J

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Paul said:
Steven said:

Take it from me, don't build anything. Take a stock mustang, throw some shocks/struts/springs/tires on it, and go beat the hell out of it. It will take probably several years for you to drive your car at the limit. Once you can do that, and if you are still really enjoying it, then consider getting a little more serious.

Paul.

Probably better off buying some other car....like a miata haha...

or even a v6 stang...since they have a better weight distribution that te v8s...

5 speed split port, strip it out.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Although Miatas are certainly far more well-balanced, I just prefer to have some "oomph" so I'll probably always stick to Mustangs. Besides, it's nice knowing that even if the guy behind me in his miata can pass me in the corners, I'll get that sonofabitch by 20 lengths in the long straightaway. :hammer:

Paul.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican