4.6L engine rebuild

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
Getting close fellahs! We bolted the clutch and trans up last night. We should be dropping it on to the K member and maybe sliding it back under the car tonight. You guys were definitely right about the header and bellhousing. No way in hell was that happening...
Question now is about the passenger side O2 sensor bung. Before I move it, is there any chance this header is closer to the trans so the sensor will fit straight up? If I do have to move it like I think I do, I'm just going to add a bung and plug the one that's there. Could use it for an A/F gauge sensor maybe.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
That passenger side bung is going to be very very close to the floor. Mine actually touches the floor. You should be able to go straight out the side like the other side.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
That passenger side bung is going to be very very close to the floor. Mine actually touches the floor. You should be able to go straight out the side like the other side.
Ya, 98snakehorse said that too. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and move it.

98snakehorse

Reaction score
Clock it at the same angle as the driver side and you should be good. When you plug the other bung make sure to keep it as flat as possible because it does come awful close to the floor board.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
Clock it at the same angle as the driver side and you should be good. When you plug the other bung make sure to keep it as flat as possible because it does come awful close to the floor board.
Will do. I'll just use one of the plugs that it came with. They're in the picture. If they're really that close, I might just use JB Weld with them instead of pipe sealer so it'll be guaranteed to never leak.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
Well this sux... The passenger header really doesn't want to play. I shimmed the motor up using 1/8" plate. No bueno. I used my press to push the pipe over. No bueno. I used a BFH for a little more clearance. No bueno. Hmmm.... At first I thought I was good to go, but it turned out the K member was tilted down towards the back a little.

Turns out that it does have MIL eliminators on it for the cat eliminator pipes. I didn't think it did.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Nice... I'm going to test fit the trans, motor and k member in the body tonight to make sure I have everything where it should be. After that, I'm going to see what solid mounts like you have will do.

Ive got the Maximum Motorsports mounts and they are awesome.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I'm going to order them today. You said your headers are touching in a few spots, but don't make any noise right?

They touch the floor, the passenger side frame and I think part of the body on the driver side. They dont make any noise at all.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
They touch the floor, the passenger side frame and I think part of the body on the driver side. They dont make any noise at all.
Awesome. I'm not going to bash on them anymore until I can see what the solids will do. They won't be here until Wednesday though.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
Busy weekend, but I was able to get a little garage time with my older son. I picked up a Mac X pipe off Craigslist for $80 so I could hook up to the long tubes. Another box checked off. I installed the new O2 bung in the header at 90 deg also. I could have started it this weekend and it was real hard to restrain myself from connecting everything, but I wanted to wait until I received the solid motor mounts. Once those are installed I can final install the PS header. Again...
Ford 5w-20 oil in the crank case and the "Special Sauce" in the trans. She's just about ready... I hate waiting.

It's all bolted in, but I'm going to unbolt it and lift the body one last time to install the motor mounts and header.

Old and new:

Used a little too much wire.... Solid and won't leak though so we'll call it a win lol

And there's the dog.... He had enough of the wind and rain lol

98snakehorse

Reaction score
That's right it would have helped to mention both lwarrior and myself have tubular k's and solid motor mounts. I have the blue oval industry mounts and they work and fit great.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Reaction score
My son and I pulled a late night last night and got a lot accomplished. The MMR solid motor mounts arrived. What nice pieces. Real quality workmanship. Thanks for the suggestion lwarrior1016. We got those installed and the engine is basically ready to fire. I need to fill it with anti-freeze and hook up the battery. Tonight...
The headers were a complete PITA of course. They got in the way of the motor mount on the DS, so a BFH took care of that. It didn't need much room. I had to order some O2 sensor wire harness extensions last night too. They'll be here Sunday.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Nice work! Glad to hear it all fit in there, post a video when you get it fired up!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online