Forbidden Fruit, 6.8L PI 2v v10 build

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I dont think that had anything to do with the k member .
Was it unable to be squared up?
It absolutely was the k member. It was squared in the car as much as it could be with the little adjustment they allow. I removed it and installed a bmr k member, the vibration went away. The engine was mounted crooked in the k member.

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
It absolutely was the k member. It was squared in the car as much as it could be with the little adjustment they allow. I removed it and installed a bmr k member, the vibration went away. The engine was mounted crooked in the k member.
Every manufacturer has its lemons. Really sucks that ended up being yours :(

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
Fixed the header leak last night, but the speedo is still aloof, wonder if the gear alignment is off or something. Picked up some SS lines and banjo bolts for the front brakes. Will have to do a hydroboost conversion before i bother putting the new brakes and lines on.20230606_201700.jpg

Took the car for a test drive, I hear a clicking whilst turning the wheel. Turns out my steering shaft bolt is making contact with the brake switch. ... anyone have this issue??

20230608_183709.jpg20230608_183715.jpg

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
Make sure the steering shaft is tight and it doesn’t move in and out.
You mean at the base on the rack or at the fire wall or up top? That button head is nice and tight.

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
Well I was bored on Tuesday evening so I got to work. Installed the rear springs and dump stop.20230613_220030.jpg

Then went up front, just said fuck it. Pulled the passenger brakes and rubber line off, pulled the spring and got the eibach one into place. Pulled the koni orange strut and it does not rebound. Boohoo

Moved to the drivers side. Pulled the brakes, having trouble getting the rubber line fitting disconnected without rounding over the fitting. Will attack that again another day. Pulled the koni orange.. rebounds.. but the shocks are of an unknown age so I order 2 new fronts. The rears seemed okay.

Installed a uaed set of MM CC plates. Only the guy who sent them I guess was missing 2 spacers and had no bump stops. Kind of annoying. So I went to MM and ordered a front set of koni oranges, replacement spacers, and bump stops. But it turns out the oranges and bumpstops are on back order. Perhaps I will make my own spacers if they don't ship soon and reorder the oranges from LMR who says they are in stock. Will finish the rest another day when I have parts.
20230613_215937.jpg

Attachments

• 20230613_215920.jpg
    20230613_215920.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230613_215931.jpg
    20230613_215931.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
Haven't done much, but I flipped the brake switch around, finished reassembling the front suspension and brakes bled them. And painted the knee plate under the steering wheel and put it in. So that's a win I'd say. Hopefully I can get this pig sent to paint soon and start assembling the v10 short block.20230707_183103.jpg

ctandc

Reaction score
Okay - I'm in for the ride on this one. Threads like this help stay motivated on my own projects so I can start eating the elephant - you know - one bite at a time. It's been a while, but a buddy bought a work truck for his company. It had the V10. We had a few one night and decided it needed an exhaust 'upgrade'. The following work week, his driver shows up (guy has worked for him forever. Nice, quiet OLDER guy). He slides in the truck with his morning coffee, fires it up and almost has a heart attack from the exhaust growl.

"Is it broke?!?" God I wish we had that on video.

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
Okay - I'm in for the ride on this one. Threads like this help stay motivated on my own projects so I can start eating the elephant - you know - one bite at a time. It's been a while, but a buddy bought a work truck for his company. It had the V10. We had a few one night and decided it needed an exhaust 'upgrade'. The following work week, his driver shows up (guy has worked for him forever. Nice, quiet OLDER guy). He slides in the truck with his morning coffee, fires it up and almost has a heart attack from the exhaust growl.

"Is it broke?!?" God I wish we had that on video.
That's priceless, ya lot of people have a hard time reaching for that motivation. I hope I can inspire others to keep it going!

ctandc

Reaction score
I'm more on board with doing what YOU want, regardless of what might be the easiest, cheapest etc. Personally, I eventually want to build a NA 4.6 stroker for my '04. Don't care about peak HP or even dyno numbers or even ETs. Now dyno numbers under the curve where I drive it everyday? Hell yeah.

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
I'm more on board with doing what YOU want, regardless of what might be the easiest, cheapest etc. Personally, I eventually want to build a NA 4.6 stroker for my '04. Don't care about peak HP or even dyno numbers or even ETs. Now dyno numbers under the curve where I drive it everyday? Hell yeah.
That'll be sick, a 302 stroked NA 4v. Kiss method at its finest

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
Well I have been super busy with thr new house. So I haven't gotten to work on cars much, I am nearing at the end of the barter project with the guy only he didn't have an ecu in the car so its PATS problems for days... so we are working that out.

Other than that I got a factory dust boot and a pedal box for a hydroboost out of the guys parts car. I didn't take his hydroboost since it's rusty and the masters cap was left off of it with no hood on the car outside for lord knows how long. Instead I have a hydroboost setup and modular ps pump from a 96 lined up from another guy for $120.

I did put the new front koni struts that arrived in with the dustboots and MM bump stops for their CC Plates. Out the wheels on and dropped it to the ground.20230803_212332.jpg20230803_212347.jpg

Ohhh shiny!! And look at those nice cobra calipers with the SS lines!! Ohhh lalaaa.. dropped it on the ground and removed the head lights. Now it's ready for paint.(less the fender emblems... keep forgetting floss or fishing line to remove them. So here is how it sits till the guy gets his shit together and takes it to paint.20230803_221945.jpg

Also I sold the factory hood and spare rear bumper to a local guy. Which was nice, he may also purchase the factory front brakes and spare set of rear calipers and E brake cables I have as well. Feels good liquidating things you aren't using.

Shortly I will make a for sale ad for the bullit wheels and tires and see if they will go as well.. since I took some of the car parts money and bought a set of these..

18x9 18x10 black chrome fr500s. They are in middle of the road condition. Front tires in good shape.. rears could be replaced in a year.. mostly dry rot it appears. The wheels have only 1 or 2 nicks on them. The finish is semi reasonable. I think I did okay for 850 in NJ. Where everyone wants a million for hot trash. The black chrome is an interesting color for sure... hard to capture all of the color changes it makes.20230729_161520.jpg20230729_161528.jpg

Also picked up all of the main bearings for the v10!! Just need to get a saturday afternoon to clean it up and drop the crank in!! :)

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Those black chrome fr500’s should look good on there

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
Last sunday, wheels are on the car, and the guy came to pickup the car so off to the paint shop it goes.. we will see how long this part takes.. in the mean time I plan to 1. Figure out what direction I'm going with green car since the turbo Is a lot of squeezing for the juice. And 2. Assemble the v10 shortblock.

20230826_122333.jpg

20230827_194921.jpg20230827_194910.jpg

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
It’s always exciting when it goes . Hopefully doesn’t take until next fall

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
It’s always exciting when it goes . Hopefully doesn’t take until next fall
Yeah praying it's not like the v10 cylinder heads, Jesus this is taking forever. I bet I'll get those mfrs back on their 2nd birthday. I'll buy an ice cream cake and draw cylinder heads on them.. and take a picture of it and send it to the shop.

OP
OP
Snorky

Snorky

Reaction score
you don't have a date that they expect to finish it by?
This is a barter triangle. The painter paints this car..(which I imagine it will be on a semi timely manner because I don't think they can have personal projects taking up space for too long at a place like caliber precision) the painter gets a new edge gt in need of paint from the guy who I put the engine in one of his cars.

Basically it's a huge gamble. I'm prepared to be f'***ed by the long d*** of reality.

Can honestly say I'm never doing this again, I will just pay for the paint job next time. But my work is 95% complete

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online