Jwhisl's 94 GT Vert build thread

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
Here's a couple of shots of the rims on the front of the car. I haven't got tires for the back yet so the 4 lug rear is still there. The rims are dirty in the pic.

I also got the double din bezel in today. No pics since it's not painted yet and I don't have the matching shifter bezel. I also saw on here somewhere that someone painted their tank straps to match the car so I started on that. Got them all sanded down to the bare metal and primered up today. No idea what I'm going to get done tomorrow.

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
Alright guys, while I got the car apart I have the oppertunity to do almost anything with the car. I would like to hear some suggestions or ideas for my project

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
Holy sidewall lol! I was wondering what looked strange about your wheel/tire setup. Saw the Saleen stamp and off brand center caps and got confused.

They are supposedly replica wheels. I also thought it was strange that they are stamped Saleen.

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
I will do that tomorrow when I have a chance to look at them. I got called in to work today and didn't even get to touch the car:(

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
I dunno man, I would check on the inside of the spokes to see if there is any more markings. I've never saw replica wheels with Saleen stamps on them.

Dude you may have just made my day. I started looking up pictures of the "ZR" brand wheels and even OE Racing and none of them are stamped Saleen by the valve stem holes.

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
I will do that tomorrow when I have a chance to look at them. I got called in to work today and didn't even get to touch the car:(

Dude you may have just made my day. I started looking up pictures of the "ZR" brand wheels and even OE Racing and none of them are stamped Saleen by the valve stem holes.

Yeah man def check into it! :thumbsup: Those are the center caps that came with my replica Saleens when I bought them. Maybe the previous owner wanted to hold onto the Saleen center caps or lost them :huh: who knows. I'd hate to give your hopes up but just check it out and make sure!

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
Im still open to ideas for my project. Right now my future plans are Saleen bodykit and spoiler, maybe a mach 1 hood. Im keeping the same color.

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
Made a little more progress on the car. Last weekend I got a second steering column that came with the steering wheel and airbag assembly. Yesterday I took both of my columns apart to build one out of all the best pieces. I also took apart my clutch pedal assembly to remove all the rust and paint it. My brake booster had a little surface rust on it so I sanded it down and painted it as well.

A few degrees off but I will fix that soon. Nevermind the weather stripping hanging down

Way too much rust for my car....

A little better!

Fresh paint!

Installed in the car.

I had planned to get the gas tank in today but the weather made up my mind for me. Tomorrow I will get back out there and Git er done!

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
UPDATE!!!!!

I made huge progress today on my convertible! I installed the gas tank, painted the rear end, installed the rear end, installed Mach 1 springs in the rear with my tokicos, put on the rear Saleen rims, fixed the driver's side weather stripping, and started draining all the fluids from the engine to check all the seals one last time before install.

Fresh paint on the rear, all control arms are going to be upgraded very soon. I'm thinking Maximum Motorsports

Here she is sitting pretty, just begging me to get the rest of the driveline in. That will be some time next week

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
Big update guys! Today I rolled the car over to my storage where my engine was. I detailed up the engine and touched up some bad spots where the paint was thin. All said and done I got the engine in but man did it fight me the entire way! The hoist wasn't quite long enough to drop the engine right down into place and I don't have a load leveler so the engine kept shifting. Decided that I didn't like the color of my hand while I was wrestling with the engine so I smashed it and now it's a neat shade of purple. Here's some pics

Crappy pic. Going to replace the thermostat housing with a chrome one later. Also removed the smog delete because it hit the ABS module

In the car.... Now I need to repaint the radiator support again. Time to start wiring everything up!

Love how low the front sits now. Don't love how my intake is too tall for the hood. I'm saving up for a Mach 1 style hood to clear the engine. Ignore all the junk in the background lol

I'm getting there.....Still need to replace the rear main seal and then I can get the trans in. Then the engine will set at the right angle.

SLOW95GTS

Reaction score
I your not going with sn style front accesories? And dare you doing a foxbody harness?Lastly, you should delete the ac pump, if your not planning on running ac.

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
I plan to switch out the accessories later. I already had this engine set up in fox body and didn't want to have to change much. I'm using the 94 wiring. Of course I'm going to have to change a few things here and there to get everything working properly.

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
If I convert over to all sn95 brackets can I still use the 89-93 water pump and timing cover?

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
I made a great contact yesterday from a craigslist ad for mustang parts. I picked up all the a/c hoses ad fittings, 95 power steering bracket and pump, header panel with headlights, coolant overflow bracket, and keyless entry module all for $100. The guy was in the process of making a mustang limousine as well as a few restoration projects that looked interesting. Of course I wasn't allowed to take pictures in his shop... He said he gets in mustangs all the time and usually has parts left over. He's going to look for the alternator bracket too.

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
Hey everyone. It's been a little while since I updated this thread due to longer hours at work and picking up a second job. Since I last posted I got my timing cover, water pump, and steering shaft. I also sold my foxbody to someone who is going to restore it and I found a really good deal on an svo cowl hood. I can't decide if I want to get it or not. I also started polishing my power steering bracket and I will be needing to purchase a new alternator and compressor very soon so I can start this thing.

OP
OP
J

jwhisl

Reaction score
Long time no update.... I've had a bit of bad luck since my last post here. I took the car over to a friend of mine to have a slight oil leak traced and fixed. After he pulled the engine he realized that one of the head gaskets were also not sealing properly to the block and leaking. He pulls the heads and finds that the company that originally rebuilt the engine for me did not hone the cylinders properly and there was some pitting at the bottom of one of the cylinders. He tore the engine down further to make sure there were no other issues and found that all the rod bearings were over tightened and the oil pump bolts were lose. He's doing a full rebuild for me for $1400 including the cost of reinstalling the engine and transmission. Then I will be back to wiring and figuring out everything else. I should be getting the car back together next month.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online