My Vortech powered 4v 98 GT Drift mustang build thread

OP
OP
Vortecd4v

Vortecd4v

Reaction score
Finally went out to the track last friday. First time in awhile. I was a bit rusty and learning the car since changing the front sway bar and making a few adjustments to the suspension as well as running different tire pressures than i have in the past. Also i was using 3rd gear for this sweeper instead of 2nd gear which was a nice little learning experience for such a small sweeper. Biggest thing pointed out by some people there to me was the car was pulling up the front passenger tire off the ground in the sweeper which i have not done before. That is where the traction shows in drifting lol! The tire pressures i ran and adjustments we made obviously made a huge difference since its doing that now. Gonna definitely have somebody watch for that and get a picture of that next time.

Here is the only video i have received so far and it almost does pull the wheel in this run.
[video=youtube;roaa5yB-ogI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roaa5yB-ogI[/video]

As for how it went, well it went well. Didnt get as much seat time as i would have liked but i did do some tandem runs with my friend izzy in his f body camaro and as of right now only have a picture no videos yet. I dirt dropped pretty bad on a drop off and kinked the bottom of the fender a little on the driver side. Also broke a front end link piece as well. I ended up checking tow and everything was good there so i went back out. Other than that things went well for and ill be going back next week. Here are some pix from friday.

OP
OP
Vortecd4v

Vortecd4v

Reaction score
Dude. This build is Bad. Ass.

I know you welded up the spider gears, but do ya mind if I ask what else you've done to the rear end? What about your torque boxes? I want to think that both need some pretty good strength and support considering the kind of drifting you're doing.

I have not done the torque boxes yet. I have them sitting in a box though so i need to install them soon. But i have MM's Extreme duty lowers along with their PHB and TA which isnt as harsh on the toruqe boxes as a traditional 4 link from what MM told me.

OP
OP
Vortecd4v

Vortecd4v

Reaction score
So this weekend i went through the front suspension since i dropped a tire pretty hard off course last week, I checked toe and it was slightly off. I had also noticed my steering rack moves ALOT even with polyurethane bushings when looking at it from underneath while somebody turns the wheel. So i decided on putting solid rack bushings which i should have along time ago anyways and did some other stuff as well.

I found this outer tierod hiem a little bent

So i went and got some new outer tierod hiems that were a little stronger looking. Also replaced the inner tierods as well and got longer bolts to help setup up and correct bumpsteer.

Looking to head back out this week to the track. Still need to change the supercharger belt and do an oil change on it as well.

BrettNorton

Reaction score
I have not done the torque boxes yet. I have them sitting in a box though so i need to install them soon. But i have MM's Extreme duty lowers along with their PHB and TA which isnt as harsh on the toruqe boxes as a traditional 4 link from what MM told me.

Ah. That makes sense. You've got the MM 3-link suspension, so the upper torque boxes (which are usually the ones that tear first) are not even being used.

I'm also wondering about your fuel cell. I have a feeling that the average aftermarket fuel cell / tank (such as your Summit fuel cell) does not have very good internal baffling, if it has any baffling at all. Do you have issues with fuel sloshing around and the engine being starved of it at lower fuel levels while drifting?

Also, do my eyes deceive me? Or is that a stock K-member I see there? I do know that drift cars require much less front grip than rear grip to drift easily, but so much so that a stock K-member is best for a drifting application?

Sorry about all the annoying questions. I'm truly curious about your car and I feel like it would be a good starting point for me to go off of when I build up my 94 Mustang into a road race car after college.

OP
OP
Vortecd4v

Vortecd4v

Reaction score
The best part of your car is that you drive the shit out of it.
thanks and yes that is how I enjoy my cars lol!

I totally agree!!!!! Nothing better than building a beast that is beat on hard on a regular basis!!!!!
Yup lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Ah. That makes sense. You've got the MM 3-link suspension, so the upper torque boxes (which are usually the ones that tear first) are not even being used.

I'm also wondering about your fuel cell. I have a feeling that the average aftermarket fuel cell / tank (such as your Summit fuel cell) does not have very good internal baffling, if it has any baffling at all. Do you have issues with fuel sloshing around and the engine being starved of it at lower fuel levels while drifting?

Also, do my eyes deceive me? Or is that a stock K-member I see there? I do know that drift cars require much less front grip than rear grip to drift easily, but so much so that a stock K-member is best for a drifting application?

Sorry about all the annoying questions. I'm truly curious about your car and I feel like it would be a good starting point for me to go off of when I build up my 94 Mustang into a road race car after college.
. The Fuel cell has a special foam to keep it from sloshing. Haven't had a issues of it cutting out. Yes stock k member. Its just something I haven't done... Yet lol! But eventually I will.

OP
OP
Vortecd4v

Vortecd4v

Reaction score
So i picked up a new sponsor for the drift mustang. Gonna be cleaning up the mexipoke up front with some new front fenders and adding some rear over fenders as well.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So i picked up a new sponsor for the drift mustang. Gonna be cleaning up the mexipoke up front with some new front fenders and adding some rear over fenders as well.

Whaaaaaaattt??!?! Who makes those?!?!?!!! Those are awesome!!!!!

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, they look almost identical to the Duraflex ones. Also, that's the only brand that makes over fenders for our cars I think.

Looking forward to seeing them on and in color. I'm curious as to how it'll look.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Depending how well they fit these would be a great solution to the rust starting on my quarter

OP
OP
Vortecd4v

Vortecd4v

Reaction score
Whaaaaaaattt??!?! Who makes those?!?!?!!! Those are awesome!!!!!

Moar info!

Must. Have. Overfenders.

The only thing I can think these could be are duraflex?

Yeah, they look almost identical to the Duraflex ones. Also, that's the only brand that makes over fenders for our cars I think.

Looking forward to seeing them on and in color. I'm curious as to how it'll look.

Depending how well they fit these would be a great solution to the rust starting on my quarter

Yes these are Extreme Dimensions brand Duraflex. The rears are actually widebody quarters but we are going to shorten them up and use them as over fenders.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Im interested to see the fit and quality of them. Have you held them up to the body or anything?

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I google overfenders. I went to extreme dimensions website and looked at THOSE overfenders. And I still have no idea what they are.

That's a lie. I know what they are. And I see the use in a widebody application, or maybe if you want to cover some damage. But what use or benefit do rear overfenders provide if not being used as a widebody kit? Wouldn't a good ole roll'n'pull or some flares do the same thing?

Or am I missing the point, entirely?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online