New shop coming together

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I'm a cheap ass lol. I'll be getting some walmart or harbor freight 5k leds about 18 of them haha

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a cheap ass lol. I'll be getting some walmart or harbor freight 5k leds about 18 of them haha

Tractor supply has a decent selection for a decent price. They work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'll have to check them out. I keep spending money on car parts though lol

7dae8478957c8d77e1e51b2815ec49c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
2 post go for about 2100
I could have bought the 2 post
But I hear a lot of horror stories about them
I ended up getting the 4 post
I am happy with it so far
But that shop has plenty of room for a lot
That will be nice

Definitely want a 4 post if your ceiling is high enough. Safer and easier to store additional cars. Worth the extra price.

I live in central illinois. I plan to insulate and line the walls with osb. Probably heat with wood as opposed to electric or propane
We not only insulated the walls and ceiling, but foam lined the area by the frame. Building is 20 degrees cooler in the summer and 20 degrees warmer in the winter. We also installed one of those small AC/Heating units just in case. We rarely use it though, and you will soon know why...

LED lighting is a must!!! Holophane is a brand that I’d recommend.

62AF2548-1DE8-473A-BA78-7080DF48A7F9.jpeg

541D1123-73DD-44BA-A2DA-E9CEE3811EA3.jpeg

Took pics to show off our lights, but I decided it was best to explain why the perfect garage will always be unobtainable.

Our workshop is 1064sqft and was supposed to be big enough for 4 cars, and to comfortably walk around, plenty of room to work on the cars. Large ceiling so that we could lift vehicles on the 4 post to work on them. In an attempt for a fancy man cave, no expense was spared. Two ceiling fans, AC/heat (it’s current 102 with a heat index of 110), insulated, drywall, texture, paint, gorgeous professional coated floors, so on.

...still have to work on the mustang in the dreaded heat, with no shade, on the hot pavement, with jack stands. And there’s no room in the glamorous temperature controlled workshop. One side has two 1953 Packard Caribbeans. Bumper to bumper, an inch from the wall, with the continental kits removed. The other side has 1955 GMC pickup occupying the lift, and the only thing sorta mobile is the 1985 Porsche 928. The beautiful floors are covered with dirt, and grime. Whenever a vehicle is moved, which is hardly ever, I try to run a floormate over whatever I can get to, but it just make everything else look worse. There are 5 engines in between the two rows of cars, and other such car parts even though we have all this shelving unit for such things. I really need to get my mustang on that lift, but both vehicles would need to be moved out of the way, which is practically impossible, at least for the truck because it requires two people to push, and even if I were strong, it’s technically not even a “roller.”

upload_2020-8-16_14-41-28.jpeg

Fits like a glove
2f73f6abcb7cf43b2fa0f2767e56f1f6.jpg
60f3e34a1c5616109b4835ee58fa4caa.jpg

Where’s the speedster covers?

Last edited:
OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Speedster covers are still at american muscle lol. I wanted to get it full bolt on before I get into the looks.

I think I've got the space for a 4 post no problem. Well just have to see when the time comes what I can afford. I have a friend of mine trying to talk me into going full spray foam insulation. It's just pretty dang expensive and I'm not sure I can convince the wife it's needed lol.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Speedster covers are still at american muscle lol. I wanted to get it full bolt on before I get into the looks.

When the time comes, if you’re not after originality, I highly recommend getting a 2 piece. The company that made mine seem to have given up on SN95s, so I really can’t recommend anyone, but I love mine. Had it for about 19 years now. With blankets, they store in the backseat easy. The only reason I no longer store them there is because I have a kid, and she loves riding in the back.

I have a friend of mine trying to talk me into going full spray foam insulation.

We just sprayed foam where the regular insulation couldn’t get to, like areas around the framing. Still expensive, but not nearly as doing the entire building. It all depends on how much time you plan on spending in there

It's just pretty dang expensive and I'm not sure I can convince the wife it's needed lol.

I don’t know her, so she may be a tough sell, but if she’s into cars like me, and you can make her believe that she will actually be spending time in there, then she will want it. I know that when I’m working on one of mine in the regular garage that is not insulated with anything, and I need to get a tool in the workshop, I get to go inside and just be reminded of what environment I COULD be working in. But I keep telling myself that the only reason my toys are in the crappy garage why my husband’s toys are in the nice man cave workshop is BECAUSE my cars stay top priority. His remain immobile because he will spend time on mine, rather than his own. So if she has any reason to need to spend time in there, even if she has her own crafts station or whatever she’s into, then it will be an easier sell.

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
New overhead door installed today. This weekend I'll get the sliders off the track and disposed of. Have to install the wind bars across the back to keep the door from blowing in. My neighbor has already had that happen.

Currently working on putting a bead of spray foam around the roof to help with leaks, critter control, and before insulation. Also have to install metal trim and weather strip around the door to keep the post from rotting and keep the climate controlled air in.
f13e7369e41f93f60a5da253fab050e7.jpg
6131ac89387d17e5b5cf473b0e84c34a.jpg

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Half wood shop half car shop lol. Plan is in a year or two have a lift. Needs insulation, new wiring and a heat source next. Probably in that order

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
that door came out good , heater next
i have a forced air propane heater ill use for now to spot heat. without having insulation that heat will be gone quickly. i want a big propane ceiling mounted heater eventually. Our electric rates are completely stupid where I'm at so propane is the way to go its about 1 dollar a gallon delivered.

OP
OP
apsmith49921

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Working on closing the big hole in the back of the shop today. Got one panel in. Have one more to cut and install
15b41d465d2a3469b81f3602d0f729f8.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online