Spoilers and Wings - the Difference

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lol...im full of it! You want more?

Absolutely! I did some reading on Coanda Effect - interesting! However, it does not seem to be a natural occurring phenomenon in our cars - specifically it requires some sort of jetting to create; in the case of F1 racing, apparently they redirected exhaust gases through a rear diffuser to encourage more downforce (before it was outlawed). However, I doubt any of us are experiencing the Coanda Effect on our cars though :)

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yea,...I guess you're right(we men gotta tell each other that) Some serious speed is needed to create and utilize the effects of streaming air.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
I'm still reading that aero 101 article, but it has the answer to at least one of our questions on the first page of the article. It has been asked how big the gap has to be under a wing to make it an effective wing, not just a spoiler... and the answer is that it has to be above the boundary layer, which is a couple inches thick. The shape of wing will then determine its effectiveness, but it has to be outside of the boundary layer to be a wing.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Ok, it sucks because without wind tunnel test results, we cannot advance any of this discussion past theory. But I can say that both wings and spoilers have to be sized and placed correctly dependent on the application.

A wing has to be placed in the cleanest flowing air possible, and sized to produce a desired amount of downforce.

A spoiler needs to be placed and sized to reduce as much drag as possible.

Vortex generators, helpful with wings, not spoilers... generally speaking. Once again, if used in concert correctly, you could use vortex generators and a much smaller spoiler, if designed to be used together.

In the above sense, vortex generators are a series of little vertical winglets, in this case placed at the rearmost edge of the roof, above the rear window. They introduce turbulence, and in the boundary layer turbulent air stays attached to the surface better. Placing vortex generators above the rear window influences the air to stay attached to the vehicle and follow the rear window down towards the trunk further before separating.

This would allow you to mount a rear wing lower, or use a shorter spoiler.

Like everything else, though, you need to design it all to work together.

A spoiler is something that you should start with... as every vehicle produces drag and can benefit from the reduction of said drag. Not every vehicle needs additional traction over the rear axle, and thus a wing should only be used once you have maximized your suspension and find yourself still needing traction.

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good thread, I am very power limited on the road course, I have taken off the SN95 "wing" and am planning to mount a 6" wide piece of aluminum to the back of the trunk sticking up 4". A "ducktail". Time will tell.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.