Trick Flow EFI Intake Manifolds, any point?

95-stang

Reaction score
Basically as the title suggests, are these worth it? I've seen some figures claming extra HP, and i'm sure there must be a plus.
Anyone care to comment, or has anyone got one fitted?
My engines stock, but is this worthwhile without a cam etc, also you need a throttle body adapter and an accelerator cable mount, is there anything else, apart from the gaskets?

scott5

Reaction score
I heard some good things about them but it works alot better when you get a cam that matched the intake you are getting. It will give you alil more, but not that much.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Thanks, as its almost summer i dont want to tear the motor down yet, so i might look at later on.
Glad of the advice as they aint cheap, and its no fun spending and getting little back. ;)

ryclef331

Reaction score
Trickflow intakes are well worth the money when put on a motor that is properly equipped to take advantage of it. In order to bolt it on to your car, you'll need just the adapter elbow for the throttle body. You throttle cable is retained.

S.O.B.

Reaction score
It seems to me our stock heads really choke these cars. I am probably going trick flow upper and and some good alum heads when I do it. Little cam too!

scootin95gts

Reaction score
as far as installing a trick flow h/c/i setup,would there also be a need for new pistons and crank and other misc parts or is it fine stock?btw my motor jsut hit 54,000miles

G

GREG@SN95

yup... TrickFlow makes good stuff...

But the most restrictive part of the OHV 302 motor are the heads...

TrickFlow heads are rather pricy... what alot of folks do though, is pull iron gt40 heads of explorers... I think... I'm looking into that myself...

cobra4978

Reaction score
I would do it if you have the money and time i put the cobra intake on my car and i can feel a diffrence just with that if your gonna do more in the future though i think you should wait until you get everything lined out like cam and heads and so on. just my .02

916_5.0

Reaction score
Yeah i like the trick flow intakes they are pretty nice. Our heads do suck though im definately going to loo into getting some gt40 heads off an explorer.

Reaction score
The iron gt40 heads will give you like 20-30hp if that. AFR's, Trickflow, Edelbrock, most of the time they will give you 40-60hp. I say, the heads ARE the car. So don't beat around the bush.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Well it seems i wound up with a Ford Motorsport Upper and Lower, and a few other bits [65 mm throttle body, cold air intake etc] so i would be looking at some heads next.
Bearing in mind i wont be going ballistic with the rest of the motor, whats the best heads for the money that will bolt right on, and where from?
Thanks.

Downshift

Reaction score
95-stang said:
Well it seems i wound up with a Ford Motorsport Upper and Lower, and a few other bits [65 mm throttle body, cold air intake etc] so i would be looking at some heads next.
Bearing in mind i wont be going ballistic with the rest of the motor, whats the best heads for the money that will bolt right on, and where from?
Thanks.

Thats a tough question man. Personally I would go for the afr 165s you wont have to mess with the pistons and people are getting some very nice numbers from them. If you were here in the states, you could always get some cobra heads and have them sent somewhere to be ported. Cant remember the name of the place but he was getting numbers out of stock heads close to aluminum heads. Dont know about being over there though.

To me its Trickflow or AFR for a good mild street motor and bolt on.

jbeez

Reaction score
I just went through this decision process not too long ago, i was going to start off w/ some iron cobra heads, then I decided on trickflow twisted wedge heads(gotta keep those smog provisions just incase) and I bought them, I jumped the gun too soon, I just sent my heads out for a stage II (185cc) port job at total engine airflow, it would have been cheaper if I just bought them from TEA already ported, make no mistake you will be spending more money than you originally planned, but when you look at it, you wont have to take them off to get ported later so it works out well :p

Also look at what the guys are running that are doing numbers you are interested in, see what else they have, parts can work with each other or against each other.

HTH
-J

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Thank you both, i can imagine its pretty tricky, plus i'm obviously limited here to what i can get done, and if anything gets broke there's no breakers yards around to get fresh parts.
Outright top speed does'nt interest me, and with fuel prices here, gears are not the best probable option for any reasonable mpg, so i'm hoping some mild work, and maybe a mild road cam might give a bit more without visiting the pumps every few miles. ;)

94yellowgt

Reaction score
I really love my AFR 165's. I got them from Keith Craft racing with upgraded valve springs for $1349 shipped. They looked fast right out of the box LOL.

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
Depends on your wallet. But it sounds like the Twisted Wedge heads are your best option if you're keeping the stock bottom end. They've got the biggest valve size that is still capable of clearing your stock pistons of any head. Keep in mind you'll have to dish out the $$ for pushrods and stud mount rockers.

If you wanna keep the price down Edelbrock heads are nice and cheaper, also you can get them with pedestal mount rockers so you could keep your stock rockers if you wanted to.

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
scootin95gts said:
doesnt the trick flow HCI package come with assembled heads?
I believe the HCI package does.

But, who is talking about HCI kits? He's just talking about heads...he already has an intake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dusky

Members online