White's '95 GT "Unicorn"

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Last year I was the first year I had one on board . Smart move having one in the car . This might make me double check everything in the rear on my setup as a precaution as it’s still not nice enough enjoy the car in maple syrup land .

weendoggy

Reaction score
First thing I mounted in my cars (other that daily driver) was a FE, within my reach buckled. Haven't had to use it, but it's there. Also trying to figure out what happened on the ground. Is the chassis ground at the pass-through terminal on the box? And, how did the hold down make it worse. You're dang lucky you became aware and acted. I know some that tried to "make it" and failed.

Yep, that Aluma trailer is nice, but if I tried to load my car, I'd need cheater ramp/block starters as the air dam scrapes. One reason I like my Aluma trailer with 5' ramps.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Also trying to figure out what happened on the ground. Is the chassis ground at the pass-through terminal on the box? And, how did the hold down make it worse. You're dang lucky you became aware and acted. I know some that tried to "make it" and failed.

Yes. Power and ground leads both enter the box. The fact the LH nut backed off allowed the battery to shift and the hold down contacted the positive terminal.

Truly thankful that it wasn’t worse than it was and I will work diligently to rectify this.

So, I took a week off work lol

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Alright. I spent a few hours this morning tearing into the car and here is what I’ve found.

1) The rollover vent valve was indeed on fire. There isn’t much left of it and it makes me sick to see how close it came to totally failing. It appears the vent hose was pinched between the tank and the spare tire well. The nipple for the vent valve had either broken off or melted off. It’s hard to say for sure but that’s why the fire was localized.

IMG_5158.jpeg

IMG_5160.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg

IMG_5162.jpeg

IMG_5163.jpeg

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
3) The fuel lines themselves took a beating and, given the fact they’re PTFE lines, I can no longer trust them.

IMG_5172.jpeg

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Moving forward I will have my own onboard extinguisher and I will be installing a Cartek GT battery iso kit. Another takeaway is that my so called race prep totally neglected the electrical aspect of the car and, as an electrician, I hang my head in complete shame.

Life doesn’t give you many second chances and I dodged a total loss event. I am humbled by this and will implement changes to how I approach things.

Spent the rest of the morning pressure washing the undercarriage and brain storming the path forward.

IMG_5171.jpeg

At the least I have to replace:

1. Pump hanger
2. Fuel lines
3. Battery box
4. Vapor vent valve

I’ve been planning to revamp the fuel system with a larger feed line and, as I always like to say, never miss an opportunity upgrade. For this round, I’ll increase said feed line from 6AN to 8AN up to the filter. I’ll leave the rest 6AN until I buy a new fuel pressure regulator and finish the job.

IMG_5174.jpeg

weendoggy

Reaction score
Nice to see you were able to find the issue along with a few other things. Being in this industry my entire life I shortcut nothing, and at times, a little anal at what I do. So far, it hasn't failed, but that doesn't mean I don't/can't check everything. I know you feel bad, but you caught it before it was too late, which means you pay attention, so don't beat yourself up too much and take it as learning. Heck, I'm up there in age and still learning. :cool:

Snorky

Reaction score
I'm glad you are okay and the car Is too. I have used 3/8" spacers on my green cars gas tank to space it down for more room for the electrical. An fittings and fuel hat. That is an option to try.

95opal

Reaction score
I'm glad you are okay and the car Is too. I have used 3/8" spacers on my green cars gas tank to space it down for more room for the electrical. An fittings and fuel hat. That is an option to try.

That is exactly what i was going to suggest. When i did my minitubs and fuel cell i raised the trunk floor to give ample room above the cell. With an 19 gallon cell i couldnt space it down like you could a stock tank.
You may also want to use a fire resistant sleeve over your fuel lines.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Started installing my other battery box. Found an Optima battery tray that locks it down on either side instead of across the top. One less point of contact.

IMG_5245.jpeg

IMG_5247.jpeg

IMG_5253.jpeg

IMG_5266.jpeg

This time, I’m going to install grommets and pass the cables through the side of the box closest to the quarter panel. I’m going for a cleaner installation this time. I’m just waiting for some battery terminals to arrive. Beyond that, I’m going to pull all of the oem NVH crud up and paint the trunk. Probably in the summer time.

IMG_5252.jpeg

The Cartek installation goes like this:

IMG_5279.jpeg

My Holley Hydramat came in as well. I’m still waiting for the vent valve and the wiring to arrive, next week :-/

IMG_5278.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman3872

Members online