Wrecked & Rusted 2002 GT Rebuild

OP
OP
kyholm

kyholm

Reaction score
Yikes! Beyond both my skills and my patience. I admire you for taking this on. Good luck, and keep us posted.

It really shouldn't be too bad once I get the rails pulled back into the correct spec. It's all just sheet metal after all!

And of course will be posting videos and photos all along with way.

50HSN95

Reaction score
Fear not! For I am a licensed collision repair tech and this car will be seeing my frame rack and laser measuring system once again to make sure the rails are in the right spit before I chop out the rust and weld in new metal.
Mmmmm, lasers :) Nice! I wish I had access to a body shop, metal work I'm good with, fiberglass and more intricate body work not so much. Be a fun skill to learn.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
On the older mustang I used to skin quarter panels tops doors floor boards trunks
Back then the spot welds were nothing
The newer cars seem like a web weld

OP
OP
kyholm

kyholm

Reaction score
Mmmmm, lasers :) Nice! I wish I had access to a body shop, metal work I'm good with, fiberglass and more intricate body work not so much. Be a fun skill to learn.

It is a blessing and a curse, I have the ability to buy and repair crappy beat up cars, but not the good sense to stay away from them!

It was many dirty, dusty, sore years to learn the finer details of my trade. I wouldn't wish it on an enemy. Wish I had a friend who was a bodyman, rather than being that friend, lol

On the older mustang I used to skin quarter panels tops doors floor boards trunks
Back then the spot welds were nothing
The newer cars seem like a web weld

It's really not that much different. Drill out the spot welds, fab up a patch, weld it in, repeat.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Holy hell that is a lot of rust.

My thoughts exactly! How does that even happen? My 1994 doesn’t have a speck of rust on it! Heck, my 1967 Triumph GT6 was never THAT bad, and it had plants growing out of its rust holes!!! Frame was solid though! If it had rust, it was only surface.

Maybe the previous owner spilled brake fluid all over the place and made it their mission to find the saltiest northern roads possible to drive on.

OP
OP
kyholm

kyholm

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly! How does that even happen? My 1994 doesn’t have a speck of rust on it! Heck, my 1967 Triumph GT6 was never THAT bad, and it had plants growing out of its rust holes!!! Frame was solid though! If it had rust, it was only surface.

Maybe the previous owner spilled brake fluid all over the place and made it their mission to find the saltiest northern roads possible to drive on.

Welcome to Ontario, where our roads are a slurry of wet salt/slush 8 months of the year.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still loving the chillhop in the videos!!!! [emoji38]

That’s some nasty looking cancer on the rails. The passenger side is notorious for it towards the back. The ac has always dropped there on the sn’s and caused it. I had to redo that same area on mine when we rebuilt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheOdessa

Reaction score
Good thing you have access to a shop to get that frame properly aligned because WOW that is a lot of rust. I've lived in Florida my whole life so we don't see rust like that but good on you for tackling the job. Helps when you have the training and experience as well. A hobbiest like myself wouldn't want to deal lol.

TheOdessa

Reaction score

That’s some nasty looking cancer on the rails. The passenger side is notorious for it towards the back. The ac has always dropped there on the sn’s and caused it. I had to redo that same area on mine when we rebuilt it.

The AC drain drips right onto my long tubes and drives me up the WALL. Has anyone figured out how to reroute this drain? It's such a tight spot to get into. I was hoping they made some type of aftermarket shield you can install.

joe65

Reaction score
I know everyone is starting their own channel but I enjoy seeing and reading about peoples builds much more than the overly long and badly edited videos everyone seems to be doing.

agreed! but yeah it does depend on the person/s making the videos.

Like the project!!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The AC drain drips right onto my long tubes and drives me up the WALL. Has anyone figured out how to reroute this drain? It's such a tight spot to get into. I was hoping they made some type of aftermarket shield you can install.

My motor is out now. I may have to look at this while it’s out. Cause you know damn well when I move to Tampa I’m gonna need that ac!!!!!!!

TheOdessa

Reaction score
My motor is out now. I may have to look at this while it’s out. Cause you know damn well when I move to Tampa I’m gonna need that ac!!!!!!!

Whoa whoa wait. Please don't come to Tampa. We already have enough transplants and KY has boomed in corona cases since you all like to protest. LOL

Like I have room to talk - Florida gets enough crap.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Whoa whoa wait. Please don't come to Tampa. We already have enough transplants and KY has boomed in corona cases since you all like to protest. LOL

Like I have room to talk - Florida gets enough crap.

First, I’m not from Kentucky originally and I spent a lot of time in Florida growing up.
Second, we haven’t boomed, we are very low in cases compared to others.
Third, I’m one cool mofo to hang with if I do say so myself!!!!! [emoji1787]

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
First, I’m not from Kentucky originally and I spent a lot of time in Florida growing up.
Second, we haven’t boomed, we are very low in cases compared to others.
Third, I’m one cool mofo to hang with if I do say so myself!!!!! [emoji1787]

you know once you get some kentucky on you your tainted for life you can't just wipe it off right?

OP
OP
kyholm

kyholm

Reaction score

I think mine are a little more than a A/C drip problem, lol.

These box rails get moisture trapped in them pretty bad, especially up here with our Canadian winters and road salt.

Good thing you have access to a shop to get that frame properly aligned because WOW that is a lot of rust. I've lived in Florida my whole life so we don't see rust like that but good on you for tackling the job. Helps when you have the training and experience as well. A hobbiest like myself wouldn't want to deal lol.

Yeah man, part of living in Canada lol. I spent my apprenticeship fixing rust like this (and much worse!) It's not really difficult if you have the know-how and some specialty tools. In my industry this is kinda... grunt work? It would be what I would stick the guy who f'd up last week with, or the new kid, haha.

Car is on the trailer again and ready to head back out to my shop and up onto the frame bench.

Do you guys want to see how we setup & measure cars? It isnt exactly edge-of-your-seat content, but if there is interest, I'm happy to do a video on it.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Just curious, how bad was the wreck that totaled it? sometimes it doesn't take much. if youre a body man, im sure you already know, lol.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Akurma

Reaction score
holy fuck that is a LOT of rust!! my 99GT strut tower rust looks like nothing compared to that. Would love to see a detailed video/photo post of how you got about fixing this as im about to fix the rust on mine.

I also had a 97 cobra that had a hole in the front rail big enough for two fingers to fit in. it's a shame that these cars are rusting out. Worst part is, there are next to nothing in terms of patch panels as these are in that weird age were they aren't being restored but some are in need of replacement panels.

TheOdessa

Reaction score
holy fuck that is a LOT of rust!! my 99GT strut tower rust looks like nothing compared to that. Would love to see a detailed video/photo post of how you got about fixing this as im about to fix the rust on mine.

I also had a 97 cobra that had a hole in the front rail big enough for two fingers to fit in. it's a shame that these cars are rusting out. Worst part is, there are next to nothing in terms of patch panels as these are in that weird age were they aren't being restored but some are in need of replacement panels.

Easy, just don't drive it on salty roads LOL

I touched up the bit of rush I had under my car with rust converter then painted over it. I see now I really don't have it bad. The rust was on the welds on my exhaust where the cats were welded in and some on my MM FLSFC. Had some on my BBK Ceramic LT's from the AC drain and used 2000F silver grill paint on it. Hopefully that wasn't a bad idea to paint over ceramic coating but it looks good?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online